Complete Clifford Brown Emarcy recordings

bogdan101

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I click on the link of the OP tonight, I see that customers also bought Lee Konitz - The Milestone Albums for 22,76 euros.

I'm not familiar with that one (except the Duets album). Does anyone have an opinion of it?

http://www.amazon.it/The-Milestone-Albums-Lee-Konitz/dp/B007R3TH0W/ref=pd_sim_m_10

Thanks Jim, Jeff, Colin and felser!

Edited by GA Russell

Here's the track listing:

http://www.universalmusic.it/jazz/artista/discografia/?ida=300681

1 Delilah
2 Darn that dream
3 Parisian thoroughfare
4 Jordu
5 Sweet Clifford
6 Sweet Clifford (Clifford's fantasy)
7 I don't stand a ghost of a chance with you
8 I don't stand a ghost of a chance with you
9 Stompin' at the Savoy
10 I get a kick out of you
11 I get a kick out of you
12 I'll string along with you
13 Joy spring
14 Joy spring
15 Mildama (I alt. take)
16 Mildama (II alt. take)
17 Mildama (III alt. take)
18 Mildama (IV alt. take inedito)
19 Mildama (V alt. take inedito)
20 Mildama (VI alt. take inedito)
21 Mildama
22 These foolish things (remind me of you)
23 Daahoud
24 Daahoud
25 Coronado (I alt. take)
26 Coronado (II alt. take)
27 Coronado
28 You go to my head
29 Caravan
30 Caravan (alt. take first issued as The boss man)
31 Autumn in New York
32 *Introduction by Bob Shad
33 What is this thing called love?
34 I've got you under my skin
35 No more
36 Move
37 Darn that dream
38 You go to my head
39 My funny Valentine
40 Don't worry 'bout me
41 Bess, you is my woman now
42 It might as well be spring
43 Lover come back to me
44 Alone together
45 Summertime
46 Come rain or come shine
47 Crazy he calls me
48 There is no greater love
49 I'll remember April
50 September song
51 Lullaby of Birdland
52 I'm glad there is you
53 You're not the kind
54 Jim
55 He's my guy
56 April in Paris
57 It's crazy
58 Embraceable you
59 Don't explain
60 Born to be blue
61 You'd be so nice to come home to
62 's wonderful
63 Yesterdays
64 Falling in love with love
65 What's new ?
66 A portrait of Jenny
67 What's new ?
68 Yesterdays
69 Where or when
70 Can't help lovin' dat man
71 Smoke gets in your eyes
72 Laura
73 Memories of you
74 Embraceable you
75 Blue moon
76 Willow weep for me
77 Stardust
78 Gerkin for Perkin
79 Take the "A" train
80 Lands end
81 Lands end
82 Swingin'
83 George's dilemma
84 If I love again
85 The blues walk
86 The blues walk
87 What am I here for?
88 Cherokee
89 Jaqui
90 Sandu
91 Gertrude's bounce
92 Step lightly (Junior's arrival)
93 Powell's prances
94 I'll remember April
95 I'll remember April (I alt. take inedito)
96 I'll remember April (II take)
97 Time
98 The scene is clean
99 Flossie Lou (I alt. take inedito)
100 Flossie Lou (II alt. take inedito)
101 Flossie Lou (III alt. take inedito)
102 Flossie Lou
103 What is this thing called love? (alt. take inedito)
104 What is this thing called love?
105 Love is a many splendoured thing (I alt.take ined)
106 Love is a many splendoured thing (II alt.take ined)
107 Love is a many splendoured thing

Sheesh, guys, you have me falling into a coma ... ;)

The box is a straight reissue of the Koyama-produced "Brownie" box that has all the EmArcy material. There's even a line on the huge backcover that says so.

As for Universal, yes ... ex-Fantasy material is indeed distributed by Universal in Europe, for quite a while already (probably after Concord took over ... before that, we had those crazy sales when the previous licensee, ZYX sold off its remaining stock - the forum dinosaurs fondly remember that, I'm sure).

These sets are legit ... and yes, the stuff's PD, so that probably explains why they're cheap - no payments going anywhere, as with all the pirates, but you get the music from the source (or well, closer to the source an in usually better fidelity than from the pirates). But then it is my understanding that the same applies to Japanese reissues which are so fondly treasured here, so no one dare and complain, m'kay?

There are many italian boxes around and some of them have been discussed here ... Coltrane, Rollins, Miles Prestige, Monk, Baker Riverside, Ellington Carnegie Hall, Evans Riverside/Milestone ... they have the albums and nothing else. So the Rollins is smaller, only including leader dates (not sure about co-led/jam ones ... there's a much nicer German reissue of the big box with all of it and with a booklet, too, this one, while this is the Italian one - it says 12 discs there - but these will be 40min discs, one album per CD).

I guess the cheapo Universal repackings (JATP, Pres - both very OOP) are from Universal Italy as well. Not sure there have been more of those, but the big Billie Holiday box has just been re-done, too (I mentioned it elsewhere):

71XXxQaLQuL._SL1500_.jpg

Mind you, I don't have any of these ... bought the Rollins once, since I'd mis-placed the booklet of the small-scale ZYX Complete Prestige Recordings set ... only to find the Rollins had no liners whatsoever, all very basic, a nice colourful booklet with a double-page on each album, cover on one side, info on the other ... all you really need to know, but none more ... after the missing booklet turned up in the empty house of my parents again, just before they started tearing down ... I presented the other box to a friend.

@Lon: do go for the Konitz Milestone if you don't have it! The four albums pesent Lee in a variety of settings and they're all very good! The two later duos w/Alan Broadbent haven't grabbed me really yet (I'm not even sure I've heard the second one at all). I got all of them in single editions.

These sets are legit ... and yes, the stuff's PD, so that probably explains why they're cheap - no payments going anywhere, as with all the pirates, but you get the music from the source (or well, closer to the source and in usually better fidelity than from the pirates). But then it is my understanding that the same applies to Japanese reissues which are so fondly treasured here, so no one dare and complain, m'kay?

A point that cannot be made often enough, particularly the underlined section. ;)

I guess the cheapo Universal repackings (JATP, Pres - both very OOP) are from Universal Italy as well. Not sure there have been more of those, but the big Billie Holiday box has just been re-done, too (I mentioned it elsewhere):

Yes, the JATP 10-CD set is Italian too.

When I first read about that Brownie box, my first thought was "Another case like that JATP set?".

I have a lot of that Brownie EmArcy stuff on vinyl but might well spring for that box, given its completemness and affordability ...

Sheesh, guys, you have me falling into a coma ... ;)

Leave me out of it! I was trying to close the debate with facts! ;):P

I have a lot of that Brownie EmArcy stuff on vinyl but might well spring for that box, given its completeness and affordability ...

Complete?!? Without the 11th one-track bonus disc featuring the fifth take of Flossie Lou !?! my dear boy...

This one is a bargain price, like the Dolphy, but unlike the Coltrane Prestige which seems rather pricey.

Ok, this whole thing gets more incomprehensible...the comma on Amazon.IT gives the price as 34,02 Euro. With the comma in that place the price in US Dollar is $4,517.18, and really, seriously, WTF?, surely that comma is drunk or something, yes? No? Please?

How the decimal mark is used: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_mark#Hindu.E2.80.93Arabic_numeral_system

Edited by J.A.W.

ha.

What worries me is the positive % rating - 90% or lower. I like to avoid anybody who's less than 98%. That there are so many apparent users only increases the discomfort that I have about me becoming one in the 10% (or more) who don't leave happy, and with an overseas transaction, that's especially not what I'm looking for. Because I can't just get in the car, tank up, and go knock on/down a door.

So -anybody here have experience with them?

ha.

What worries me is the positive % rating - 90% or lower. I like to avoid anybody who's less than 98%. That there are so many apparent users only increases the discomfort that I have about me becoming one in the 10% (or more) who don't leave happy, and with an overseas transaction, that's especially not what I'm looking for. Because I can't just get in the car, tank up, and go knock on/down a door.

No, but if you buy it through the Amazon marketplace it doesn't really matter, you're protected if something goes wrong. And my impression on the bad ratings is that it's usually about improperly graded used items.

Generalmente spedito entro 1-2 mesi = Generally ships in 1-2 months? And was released on April 23, 2013? So basically still SOL, right?

That's too long to wait on a hope.

ha.

No, but if you buy it through the Amazon marketplace it doesn't really matter, you're protected if something goes wrong. And my impression on the bad ratings is that it's usually about improperly graded used items.

Ah, my preferred first line of defense is to protect myself by not getting into a position where I need to be protected by the kindness of strangers... but the news that grading, not fulfillment, might be the main cause of negative ratings is both encouraging and useful. Thanks for that.