Julius Hemphill

Late

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The recent "Dogon A.D." reissue has revived my own interest... got hold of a pair of WSQ LPs recently ("Plays Duke Ellington" and "Dances and Ballads") - while I can relate to the comments above about preferring Hemphill and Bluiett in more open settings, the Ellington LP is still masterly and beautiful.

The other fairly recent Hemphill acqusition of mine was "Live in New York" - very good, too!

That duo with Warren Smith, I need to dig it up... I've owned it for years but I can't even remember having listened to it - gee!

This one slipped under my radar until I happened across it at cybermusicsurplus.com. Not released until 1998, apparently, and a pretty audacious piece of music, I think.

d196847v3mx.jpg

Picked this up a year or two ago. Slipped under my radar too - think it was released during a time when Black Saint had minimal/no distribution in the U.S. - not that there was widespread distribution before or after. Anyway, it's some of my favorite Julius Hemphill (and Warren Smith).

Edited by paul secor

I was wondering if there would be a Hemphill or WSQ box from BS/SN so I went over to their website but it is not functional - not down, just seemingly abandoned.

Both labels come under the CAM Jazz banner now. Details of what's available can be found here:

CAM Jazz

Ahhh... for some reason I was on camoriginalsoundtracks.com which is the same but doesn't display anything...

if I may be presumptuous, some of my favorite Julius is from the CD we did at the Knitting Factory - on this page are two complete cllps in which he plays brilliantly: March of the Vipers and The Second Assassin.,

http://www.allenlowe...bums/new-tango/

when he got sick we were planning to do at least two more things together, though I am happy to say he is on both my New Tango CD and At the Moment of Impact - it grieves me greatly that we could not do more together. He was a great man in more ways than one.

(and if things go right, most of what we recorded will be reissued in the next year or two).

Edited by AllenLowe

As Tim Berne was mentioned I note that he has another album on ECM due soon - no personnel mentioned, so might it be solo?

And with no relevance whatever, I also notice that Rainer Bruninghaus Freigeweht has popped back into CD existence - one of the more notable outings for double-reed instruments of recent decades?

Edited by David Ayers

As Tim Berne was mentioned I note that he has another album on ECM due soon - no personnel mentioned, so might it be solo?

And with no relevance whatever, I also notice that Rainer Bruninghaus Freigeweht has popped back into CD existence - one of the more notable outings for double-reed instruments of recent decades?

Where do you notice that Tim Berne has a new release due on ECM? He told me years ago that he'd never do a leader date for Eicher.

I would never count Berne out, but this description of the upcoming ECM album makes me a little nervous:

A lush, organic blend of saxophones and clarinets is layered with electronic and acoustic keyboards and an ever-changing tapestry of percussion.

Not used to reading "lush" in the same sentence as "Berne." Anyway, it's the end result that counts; we'll get to hear that in January. Probably Formanek got Berne into the ECM stable. There's money there.

I would never count Berne out, but this description of the upcoming ECM album makes me a little nervous:

A lush, organic blend of saxophones and clarinets is layered with electronic and acoustic keyboards and an ever-changing tapestry of percussion.

Not used to reading "lush" in the same sentence as "Berne." Anyway, it's the end result that counts; we'll get to hear that in January. Probably Formanek got Berne into the ECM stable. There's money there.

also David Torn would've been a connection. After years touting Screwgun then Berne deserves some extra ECM-exposure, I reckon

Another one I'm thinking of getting is Flat-Out Jump Suite on Black Saint; I've never heard it and read a couple of conflicting reviews, one pretty bad and one superb, "a masterpiece" (not my words). Any opinions on that one?

I'm very fond of it myself. Raw Materials and Residuals as well, from about the same time.

Then again, I like all things Hemphill.

Just listened to Raw Materials and Residuals and it's indeed excellent.

• 1 month later...