Where is Michael Fitzgerald?

ghost of miles

I just noticed that he hasn't posted since Nov. 27... and nothing in his last few posts indicates any kind of disillusionment or board controversy. Anybody heard from him or know what he's up to? He offered all kinds of valuable insights and information, and was quite a friendly guy to boot (I had a great time interviewing him for a special I did on Gigi Gryce). I know he's working on a Henry Grimes bio, and perhaps he's chosen to sequester himself from certain elements of the Internet for awhile. Wherever you are, Mike, you're much missed.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss Mike too, but I have to say this: Leaving because of one thread is a little like throwing the baby out with the bathwater, no?

I'm not saying that's why he left, because no one seems to know... maybe he's just on a hiatus, but I do know that some people did leave because of such a thing and in my mind it's silly.

Just my two cents.

I don't know if/why Mike has not posted here in a while, but I miss reading his posts as well. He was a valuable contributor here and before here, at Blue Note. I hope it was not Deep who drove him away.

I remember when Deep first came over here after being kicked out of AAJ, and he started off in somewhat typical fashion. He had multiple threads going - one in particular about some gay pride parade that was particularly offensive. I'd also seen him in action at JC and prior to that at JCS. The guy has a potential to be a boardwrecker. At about the same time you were able to confine hime to his padded room, I know I jumped to the conclusion that he 'd do the same here. After all, in his Wingy persona he did post in all forums albeit in a somewhat toned down fashion. That he has kept to his one thread to this point is somewhat of a miracle given his history. Having his drunken, raving mad, homophobic, racist, obscenity laden mental meanderings in one thread has worked to convince me to continue posting. I was used to ignoring Greg and politics on the BNBB and can do the same here with Deep.

But I can tell you that as far as Bev Stapleton is concerned, I don't think his departure is silly at all. We all bring different sensitivities and sensibilities to the table here. Some have been able to co-exist with Deep on the boards for a long time. Some, like me, find it convenient to ignore him so long as he his confined to his private little zoo. I know Bev posted over on JOL before it went down and Deep had his dog and pony show running there, so Bev had previous exposure to his persona. Kevin B, who is somewhat embattled here right now and in the midst of one of the biggest misunderstandings I've ever witnessed on a jazz board often expressed about politics on these boards that seeing how guys stand politically and sometimes religiously is more than he really wanted to know when it came to reason we are here - to discuss jazz. I know exactly what he means and I fully understand how seeing so many long standing posters provided a hero's welcome and give tacit approval to Deep's posts, posting style, and content by the way they engage him would upset Bev more than actually having him here.

Bev is a very thoughtful poster who added a lot of inciteful conversation to the board. I particularly enjoyed his posts on European jazz. Gave me lots of exposure to styles I enjoy and artists with whom I am unfamiliar.

I know Deep has a load of knowledge of jazz that most of us could only hope to have. I personally would not care less if he was uttering the secret of eternal life if he was spewing it out of his festering gob. (I know, eternal life is a bit of a stretch - I suppose I'd put on my hip boots and poncho <_< )

You had a decision to make and knew it had consequences. Losing some posters was one of them. You made the decision, you lost a(some) posters. Personally, I'd rather have one Bev Stapleton than 100 Deeps on my board, but it is not my board, nor my call. It would be nice if these things never had to occur. We go through life enjoying the good and dealing with the bad. But I guess you have to factor in that places like this are seen as oases for many - myself included. You know, a place to escape, talk about your favorite subject(s). The consequences of having a bigotted, loud mouthed, semi psychotic jackass excreting his waste in some corner of the board are unfortunate, disappointing and disheartening but, at least in my opinion, not something to be dismissed as silly

But then again, I love hockey in spite of the fights.

My advice - stand upwind.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

Thanks for your thoughtful post on the subject Ed. I understand how people can be put off by how others they engage themselves with everyday react differently than they themselves would, but I would never put that in front of my own relationship with these people. At least not on a semi-anonymous internet chat board. In other words, I could care less if people post on the Deep thread and play along in his silly (that's an understatement) games - I easily can ignore that - as long as I myself get something positive out of these people in terms of discussion, fun, and entertainment. I peek in at the Deep thread every now and then, don't ask me why, and I see what's going on there and am really glad that this isn't all over the board, but confined to it's little dark corner. Maybe having a Deep on board is a necessary evil. I find it remarkable how the very diverse membership of this board seems to get along like old chums most of the time anyhow. I have never been to a pub where there weren't at least some obnoxious people doing some obnoxious thing at some point - at least not in a pub that was buzzing with life like this board is. I don't know where this puts me with respect to the Bev/Kevin B/Deep/Greg thing. It probably means that like you I am able to ignore the offending stuff to a very large extent.

Wonder where Mike is too.

Edited by couw

Thank you for the insightful post, Ed. The one thing that bothers me is that anyone would think I would let this board go down the shitter because of one poster. I was there when the BNBB went down and I saw how it happened. I will not let that happen here.

DEEP, like him or not, has given some insightful commentary about this music we love in the midst of his bullshit. Is it enough to keep him around? He's teetering on the edge right now but I still have to say yes. I'm getting pretty fed up with it but I'm a patient guy.

The point I'm trying to make is that I am in control of this ship and I fully intend to keep it from sinking due to some trouble-makers. I think so far I've done a good job and DEEP confining himself to that one thread is a good example.