Three or four favorite jazz albums of the 60's?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange no one put down...

I'd lose too much sleep to play this game I think...but strangely, the first which came to mind was Hampton Hawes' 'The Green Leaves of Summer'!

On the JJM site, one of the comments began with: "I find it strange that no one else included “Rah,” the first album by Mark Murphy". :huh: WTF?

Anyway, I don't get all the "strange" references. There's nothing strange going on here. As Clunky said above, "Just like the polls here, ask 100 people get a hundred answers....."

It's bizarre that someone would find it "strange" that one of their personal favorites wasn't mentioned, unless it was some universally-recognized classic (and even then, it might be too subjective to voice an objection). What was more surprising to me was that two of the participants in the linked story selected JJ's "Proof Positive". That's not to say I don't think it's worthy, but what were the odds? Even in one decade, the number of choices is immense.

I might have chosen a Hawes Contemporary title too, btw, but probably "I'm All Smiles" or "Here And Now" over "Green Leaves", particularly because the material was generally more "contemporary" to the 60's.

Completely agree in the sense you mean it - I think what I meant was just that I found it curious that the first one which came into my mind was the Hawes...forced to bet on it, I'd have had to put the money on the first thing popping into my mind being some Ellington, probably :)

p.s. Love those two Hawes too! Just something about the title track which gets to me about Green Leaves...

I'm with you on the title track. :) One of my older brothers learned it on trumpet for a high school band performance circa 1965, and played it around the house enough that it's stayed with me ever since. The theme from "The Alamo" (the original version, of course).

Thanks for the original link and thanks for lots of "favorites". I'd agree that most are great. I won't even attempt my own list, but it'd have to include some Hampton Hawes (as others have suggested). Maybe Blues for Bud. And I'd try to find room for some (admittedly less that prime era) Basie - probably Straight Ahead over Basie/Ellington, for SA's Sammy Nestico arrangements.

Wes? Smokin' at the Half Note, Incredible Jazz Guitar (1960?), Full House, Boss Guitar? Can't go too far wrong...unless you start looking out to the A&M years (IMO).

Ornette Ornette, Ornette on Tenor, the two Golden Circle albums, Crisis

The Nessa-produced Roscoe Mitchell-Lester Bowie-Art Ensemble-Joseph Jarman releases

Ayler: Spirits Rejoice, Bells

The first Magic Sam Delmark and the Percy Mayfield Tangerines also became favorites. A bunch of Blue Notes and Prestiges also - what a decade it was for great music.

In the 1960s, among '60s recordings, I may have most often played Spirits Rejoice, Coltrane's Transition, G. Evans' 2nd La Nevada, several Howling Wolf 45s; also, reissues and the older records from my college years when I was discovering jazz.

Talking about blues, I have no idea when they were released, though I imagine that they were 1960s releases - even if the music is from the 50's - but I first heard The Best of Muddy Waters and The Best of Little Walter in the 1960s and played the heck out of them.

It is really tough to make such a short list.

Here are some of my favorites and I could have made it much longer.

Dexter Gordon - Our Man in Paris

Barry Harris Trio - Magnificent

Teddy Edwards / Howard McGhee - Together Again

Miles Davis - Friday & Saturday Night at the Blackhawk

Horace Silver - Song For my Father

Sonny Rollins - On Impulse

Jackie McLean - Jackie's Bag

Art Blakey - Mosaic

Hank Mobley - Roll Call

Stan Getz - Jazz Samba

I don't think I could single out 10, let alone 3 or 4. Back when i first became interested in 60s jazz, I would have said Eric Dolphy's Last Date, Albert Ayler's Spiritual Unity or In Greenwich Village and Monk's Big Band and Quartet. This week, I'd pick Ascension, Numbers 1 & 2, The Sidewinder and anything/everything by Andrew Hill.

Rec. 11/1959, which I think makes it likely to be an early 1960 release.

That reminds me. Typically today, an album is released about a year after it was recorded. How long was the typical lag time fifty years ago?

Good question; depends on the label, I think.

When my paste problem is sorted out, I might do some research on this. Would you regard the albums that have been listed in this thread as a decent kind of random sample?

MG

Rec. 11/1959, which I think makes it likely to be an early 1960 release.

That reminds me. Typically today, an album is released about a year after it was recorded. How long was the typical lag time fifty years ago?

Good question; depends on the label, I think.

When my paste problem is sorted out, I might do some research on this. Would you regard the albums that have been listed in this thread as a decent kind of random sample?

MG

MG, yes i would. For example, I love Wayne Shorter's three 1964 dates - Night Dreamer, JuJu and Speak No Evil. I wonder how soon the first one was released, and how late the last one was.

I recall that at that same time, The Beatles' and other rock groups' records were released with no delay at all.

Tina Brooks - True Blue

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme

Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles

Albert Ayler - Spiritual Unity

I like lists that force to be narrowed down to a small number. It took me some time to come up with those four, and there was great deliberation between either Ascension and Maiden Voyage for the respective musicians above.

Stanley Turrentine and The Three Sounds, Blue Hour

The Three Sounds, Moods

Lee Morgan, Infinity (I wasn't listening in the 60s so I am not concerned that it wasn't issued until the LT series)

Hank Mobley, Soul Station

Oliver Nelson, Blues and The Abstract Truth

Benny Carter, Further Definitions

Mingus presents Mingus

Oh, hell yes, forgot about this some how, definitely a favourite.

I will never forget - I was at a drunken campus party circa 1962 and spotted the lp on the floor, out of the jacket and the crowd was dancing on it. In my stupor, I rescued the badly scuffed record and went on a search for the jacket. After about 15 minutes I found it and ran home with my treasure. Never felt good or bad about my actions, but loved having some version of the music no matter how battered.

Great story. For me, Mingus Presents Mingus was the album that really opened my ears to Mingus and made me go crazy for him, whereas before hearing MPM i pretty much just dug Mingus Ah Um and paid him shelf-service with a handful of other albums.

Trying to narrow it down from these...

Eddie Lockjaw Davis & Johnny Griffin - First Set / Live at Minton's

John Coltrane And Johnny Hartman

Kenny Burrell - Soul Call

Dexter Gordon - Our Man In Paris

Vince Guaraldi - Jazz Impressions Of Black Orpheus

Lou Donaldson - Lush Life (Sweet Slumber)

Sarah Vaughan - Sassy Swings The Tivoli

Hampton Hawes - I'm All Smiles

Stanley Turrentine - Bluish Bag / Prodigal Son (BN twofer material)

Wes Montgomery - Movin' Along

Paul Desmond - Bossa Antigua

Roy Haynes - People

• 4 weeks later...