AAJ Bans Any Mention Of Organissimo

grey

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So this has come up again. This happened to me quite some time ago, whenever the blackout on the East coast occured. I noticed the Organissimo board was down and posted a question on the AAJ board to find out if anyone knew what happened. My post didn't last anytime. I wrote Ricci and said I certainly did not mean to offend anyone, but I knew that a number of people frequented both boards. He was nice enough to email me back and remind me that Organissimo servers were more than likely effected by the blackout and maybe he had acted a little too hastily( you think?) Anyway, the thread was not reposted but..........

I bet it wasn't two weeks later that AAJ went down for a loooooong time. I always attributed that failure to very bad karma. We really can't do anything about the policy but it is a big turnoff for me and one I wish he would reconsider.

Posted by Bev:

AAJ and Organissimo are two oases in a relatively jazzless world. I want to see both thrive as jazz and relate music discussion boards. It's sad to see this blowing up, regardless of who is or is not responsible.

I agree, Bev. A couple of weeks ago I nearly posted a link here to the "Ask Jeremy Pelt" thread over at AAJ. I knew there are Pelt fans here who, if they hadn't already seen it, would've been interested. As it was I simply forgot to post the link--certainly the thought that Jim Alfredson would object never occurred to me, because I don't believe he would have. I wish I had posted it, because I could've pointed to it in my PMs with Mike Ricci. As it was I could say only that I've directed people to AAJ (particularly neophytes) and that I've routinely spoken well of it here & elsewhere. I still think Mike would serve the AAJ community and his own interests better by serving the entire jazz community. There's some sadness entwined with my anger on this issue, because I did enjoy the AAJ board for what it had to offer. Such a censorious attitude on the part of its administrator, however, now compels me to stay away.

Well, as luck would have it, back on December 8th, I posted a link to the AAJ "Ask Jeremy Pelt" thread, right here on the Organissimo board.

Here's the very post I'm talking about, LINK: Jeremy Pelt - one hell of an interesting trumpeter, New on the scene, is he 'baad' or what!!.

FYI, there's a relatively new thread on AAJ where Jeremy Pelt is interacting with board members there, taking questions, and such...

The AAJ thread is here:  Catching Up With... > Jeremy Pelt

Ghost, please feel free to send a PM to Mike at AAJ pointing out to him that there's plenty of cross-pollination going on, on both boards.

This whole mess is about 27 shades of ugly, with plenty of blame to go around. IMHO, Mike certainly isn't handing things nearly as well as he could (or "should", if I may be so bold as to say so in public), meaning in the way he's running his board (though it's certainly his board to run however he likes).

And Dan starting the "AAJ is run by an asshole" threads was about as childish as childish gets. (You're certainly a friend of mine, Dan, but you really gotta do something about that occasionally "very short" fuse of yours. Just because you think Mike had it commin' to him, that doesn't mean you had to give it to him.)

And the related threads (both here and there), are none too pretty either.

What a mess... :tdown:tdown:tdown

So now he's made a little spot for us and everything is honky-dory.

Pretty quick to forget his other acts of censorship, like deleting Ghosts spot-on definition of what he is concerned about-the AAJ community, not the jazz community.

Of course, it makes no nevermind to me-I'm banned! Too bad I'm not blocked, too!

I'm not sure your opinion on this matter should be taken seriously - you've got a history. I agree Mike has'nt always come forward as a reasonable guy, but the language and attitude of a few posters here does'nt help much either.

I agree Mike (Ricci) hasn't always come forward as a reasonable guy, but the language and attitude of a few posters here doesn't help much either.

This is the way I see it.

Looks like our big chief moderator here paces himself more successfully as far as his reactions are concerned.

I think we members should take our time to reconsider when we feel we have been offended. It may be as simple as that. Always ask before you hit.

Well, I have never felt comfortable there since the "rude welcome" last year.

I know Mike certainly bent over backwards to make everyone feel at home, to his credit. Btw, until you've moderated a big board (which I have), you might not realize how hard it is to keep abreast of all the threads and make fair decisions that the majority can live with. Don't jump all over some guy when he makes a mistake; try to offer some polite constructive criticism.

As for Mike commenting about someone being a twerp, that wasn't very classy for a moderator to do since he should set an example, but judging by the childish, obscene posts from the person in question, can you blame him? Sounds like Mike was excercising great restraint by merely saying "twerp." OTOH, it wasn't classy for a bunch of folks to suddenly appear over at AAJ when they rarely post there, act like there's some big emergency when their beloved Organissimo is down for a day (get a grip!), and then take off again only to badmouth AAJ over here after this latest incident. All this behavior is so childish, clubby, and self-congratulatory that it's really a sad commentary on the online jazz community.

I know I won't be posting much here or at AAJ (except to help answer newbies' questions--it's good to contribute to community instead of tear it down) for some time after all this crap.

That said, everyone take it easy.

Edited by Muskrat Ramble

This is Mike Ricci´s last post:

xricci

Administrator

Guys,

I have an idea.

This thread is starting to run a little long so it may eventually be a hassle to view when Org actually crashes.

Should we set up a thread and assign a person (preferably the site's administrator) to that thread? For instance, Jim can update his thread anytime his server or database crashes.

The title of the thread would be "Organissimo Status" and Jim would continually provide technical updates when his board is down.

It would always be in one location with the news coming from the administrator (to ensure accuracy).

Sound good?

If so, I'll shoot Jim an email.

I think he has shown (once again) as the reasonable guy I thought (and still think) he was.

I should recognize that I was negatively surprised at first, when I came back home on Sunday evening and read about all this fuss. My initial posts at organissimo and at AAJ were critical (and somehow caustic), influenced by the momentary state of mind.

Now things have calmed down, I hope!

I find all the negative stuff engendered by this issue kind of dismaying. It's a bit like watching a Wynton war without reference to music at all. You know nobody is helped by this stuff beyond a certain point. There are no positive conclusions to be drawn, just more negative feelings.

God this is painful...

Simon Weil

Not to make excuses, but anyone who's participated in online bulletin boards for any length of time knows that overreaction is going to happen. In very many ways, the online experience magnifies both the best and the worst of human reaction. I'll be the first to admit that Dan has a history, as do I, and neither are that pretty. On the other hand I also know that Dan has gone out of his way to see that I'm exposed to music that he knows I'd enjoy but would otherwise never even know existed. Maybe Dan could control his temper a little better, and I hope I'm doing the same with mine, but let's not forget that on the net, this kind of thing just isn't that unusual. Feelings are hurt, oft times unintentionally, and people lash out. It's just the way it goes.

And pretty soon, someone will come along and point out that there sure is a lot of discussion on this topic for something so petty, forgetting that it takes days to talk out an issue on the net rather than the hours or even minutes that it would take in a face to face meeting. We just need to remember that things are different on the net. Sometimes better, sometimes worse, but almost always different.

It has nothing to do with all this rhetoric, but I've never even felt like posting at AAJ. That place gives me the heebie jeebies for some reason - way too sterile and hipper-than-thou vibe. Glad I avoided it (although again it wasn't for any political reason until now).

It has nothing to do with all this rhetoric, but I've never even felt like posting at AAJ. That place gives me the heebie jeebies for some reason - way too sterile and hipper-than-thou vibe. Glad I avoided it (although again it wasn't for any political reason until now).

Well, I'm not sure which board comes forward as the hippest (not even counting if Deep should be considerd hip or pathetic). But seriously, even if the AAJBB does'nt attract you, I think the main site has other qualities that derserve our support.

AAJ and Organissimo are like two pubs (or bars!) in the same street.

One is rather upmarket and glitzy, has expansion plans, attracts alot of passing trade and yet has a few bunches of regulars who like to sit over their beers discussing their particular current obsessions - British jazz, Australian jazz, European jazz or whatever.

The other is a bit like 'Cheers'. A closer community who tend to sit around the bar and slap one another on the back rather alot. Yet are equally welcoming of newcomers who come along a little less frequently. They're also very tolerant of the drunk in the corner singing 'Danny Boy' and shouting obscenities. They also have a great resident band!

Some people feel happier in the first bar. Some feel happier in the second. Some like to drop into both.

Both are likely to attract much needed interest to the neglected street they're on. Whatever pub we favour it's got to be better that we don't waste time and energy slagging off the other one!

AAJ and Organissimo are like two pubs (or bars!) in the same street.

One is rather upmarket and glitzy, has expansion plans, attracts alot of passing trade and yet has a few bunches of regulars who like to sit over their beers discussing their particular current obsessions - British jazz, Australian jazz, European jazz or whatever.

The other is a bit like 'Cheers'. A closer community who tend to sit around the bar and slap one another on the back rather alot. Yet are equally welcoming of newcomers who come along a little less frequently. They're also very tolerant of the drunk in the corner singing 'Danny Boy' and shouting obscenities. They also have a great resident band!

Some people feel happier in the first bar. Some feel happier in the second. Some like to drop into both.

I propose that we go and TP Gary's Old Towne Tavern.

Never could stand that Gary.

:g

Good comparision. But the difference to pubs is that none of the two forums gains profits from its activities, so there is no economic competition. More members does not mean more cash for the board owner. Most of the time it is the contrary, board traffic costs money, while advertisements (if the owner chooses to have some)cover only a part of the costs.

AAJ's main attraction is the website (the best jazz site in my view). Before the BNBB closed, the AAJ forum was mostly dormant. Organissimo succeeded better in taking over the BNBB regulars. But both boards gained a lot from the BNBB demise.

So I don't really understand Michael Ricci's attitude. As has been said here, it is not very polite to use his board only as an information source on the Organissimo online status, but any forum admin would have to live with that. His new rule just looks defiant and childish. But that won't keep me from reading and posting there, although the Organissimo forum has more interesting discussions and a greater family feel.