• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2019-11-16 at 4:17 PM, David Ayers said:

:rolleyes:

They have gone from the merely beautiful to the absolutely transcendent... ;)

I know it's shallow but most of these covers are not doing the product any favors.  I don't think there is a single one that would induce me to pick up the CD and flip it over to look at the track listing.  I truly don't understand the marketing concept, unless it is they are so pure and "just about the music" that they don't pay the least bit of attention to the cover.

51 minutes ago, ejp626 said:

I know it's shallow but most of these covers are not doing the product any favors.  I don't think there is a single one that would induce me to pick up the CD and flip it over to look at the track listing.  I truly don't understand the marketing concept, unless it is they are so pure and "just about the music" that they don't pay the least bit of attention to the cover.

It probably has more to do with the economics of running a jazz label these days.  Looking at the back cover of the Ronnie Cuber release reveals that Nils Winther not only produced, but also did the mix, mastering, and, yes, the photos.

Anyway, these photos and covers are nowhere near as bad as Pablo in its prime.  See, for example:

R-2218952-1482984093-3025.jpeg.jpg

At lease Nils Winther springs for color.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JSngry said:

from whom did you order it? amazon shows it as upcoming and DG is already out.

DG, I was lucky to snag one right away. They will hopefully restock, but in the meantime Amazon is showing it with a 7/17 release date. Not ideal, but something. 

I took a chance on the Knuffke; ordered it from DG.  Not sure I'll like it, but it looks interesting.  Bob Stewart on tuba...I know his work from Arthur Blythe's albums, and aside from the novelty factor, would probably have preferred a bass to his tuba.  I assumed it was a friendship thing.  We'll see how Knuffke deals with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...