• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Maybe the Brew Moore thing might be interesting. I have a Brew Moore Steeplechase live from Montmatre from the mid 60´s, but I forgot the title, it is nice playing, maybe the piano-player was not exactly my taste as much as I remember, now again I have no idea who the piano player is on this, hope he swings better. 
Not that Brew Moore was such a giant, but he could hold his own even with fast company like Miles, Bird, Bud, Howard McGhee. He is cool.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, mjzee said:

Release date May 15:

71QYT7D0YcL._SL1417_.jpg

So Steeplechase is going the PD route now too? Although I suppose they could have negotiated with the estate.

The thing I wonder about these deals with musicians' estates is if these family members ever consider if these musicians even wanted these sessions released.

36 minutes ago, bresna said:

So Steeplechase is going the PD route now too? Although I suppose they could have negotiated with the estate.

The thing I wonder about these deals with musicians' estates is if these family members ever consider if these musicians even wanted these sessions released.

Some estates obviously have an opinion, which might or might not be in line with what the artist would have wanted. I remember when a planned reissue of Stan Getz' "Sweet Rain", which was supposed to include unreleased material was allegedly blocked by the estate. But sometimes this kind of stories seem to be about money rather than "art".

Some 30 years ago a friend wanted to rearrange a Leonard Bernstein composition for an orchestra we played in. He contacted the publisher, which said that the estate opposed of everything, adding that "Had Lennie lived, the answer would likely have been different, but..."

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2023 at 5:49 AM, bresna said:

Back in the day I set up and ran the US SteepleChase office. Whenever Nils was in town he'd use my office phone to call musicians and "estates". I remember negotiating with Brew Moore's daughter, Don Redman's daughter, Kid Ory's daugnter and some others. I have no insight to the families decisions, except they were all happy someone cared. I don't think any issues resulted from the Ory call.

Edited by Chuck Nessa