Where's that damned time machine?

jazzbo

Off the top of my head.....

Coltrane with Miles, Coltrane with Eric Dolphy, any Coltrane post-A Love Supreme, Any Miles between 1965-1975, Ornette before he went electric (particularly if he had Don Cherry, Ed Blackwell and/or Dewey with him), James Blood Ulmer with Ornette, Alice Coltrane playing her own gigs post-JC, Pat Metheny with Jaco - although I understand that could be an iffy afair, Metheny with Ornette, Mingus with Dolphy, Mingus without Dolphy, Dolphy without Mingus, Jim Raney, Circle, Anthony Braxton with Dave Holland, Kenny Wheeler and/or George Lewis, pre-stroke post-1960 Sun Ra, La Monte Young during the 1960s-1970s-1980s and any time he played the Well Tuned Piano Live (at least we have the DVD), Terry Riley when he was playing organ and time lag accumulator, the original Mahavishnu Orchestra, Capt. Beefheart when he was still performing, King Crimson with John Wetton, Jimi Hendrix on a good night, Howling Wolf & Muddy Waters during the '50's, Charlie Patton and Robert Johnson when they were still around, Stravinsky conducting and Pythagoras.

If I think of anyone else, I'll let you all know.

Some of the ones that came through Phoenix when I was growing up there- Wes Montgomery(it may have been his last gig ever), Hendrix,Cream,Duke Ellington,Miles those are just a few that I remember. I'd like to revisit the night when I saw Paul Butterfield(that was a good show). Also a few that as far as I know never came to Phoenix -Horace Silver with Blue and Junior,Art Blakey with Clifford and Lou Donaldson-Trane with McCoy,Elvin and Jimmy Garrison-Howlin Wolf,Little Walter and Sonny Boy Williamson and of course Charlie Parker.I'm sure more names will come to me later but those are some I can think of right off the top of my head-oh! one more Duane Allman.

K. Oliver's Creole Jazz Band, with L. Armstrong and the Dodds brothers, at the Lincoln Gardens in Chicago in 1922 -- not only because the band was so damn important but also because there's every reason to think that there was a big gap between how the band sounded on the stand and how it sounds on its dim (acoustic) recordings.

K. Oliver's Creole Jazz Band, with L. Armstrong and the Dodds brothers, at the Lincoln Gardens in Chicago in 1922 -- not only because the band was so damn important but also because there's every reason to think that there was a big gap between how the band sounded on the stand and how it sounds on its dim (acoustic) recordings.

And while we're at it, how about a Buddy Bolden gig so we can see if Wynton knew what he was talking about. :)

The list goes on and on, but a few of my stops would be...

Louis Armstrong in the late 1920s/early 1930s.

Lester Young in Kansas City in the late 1930s.

Duke Ellington Orchestra, 1940-41.

Charlie Parker on 52d Street-mid to late 1940s.

Bird/Diz/Bud--Massey Hall, 1953

Clifford Brown with Max Roach--1954-55

Monk with Coltrane at the Five Spot--1957

Ornette Coleman at the Five Spot--1959

Miles Davis with Coltrane--1960 European tour

Charles Mingus at the Showplace, with Eric Dolphy--1960

John Coltrane Quintet with Eric Dolphy--1961

Charles Mingus at the Village Vanguard 1963--Black Saint big band.

Charles Mingus European tour 1964, with Dolphy, Byard, Jordan.

Lee Morgan--circa 1960s.

The list goes on and on, but a few of my stops would be...

Louis Armstrong in the late 1920s/early 1930s.

Lester Young in Kansas City in the late 1930s.

Duke Ellington Orchestra, 1940-41.

Charlie Parker on 52d Street-mid to late 1940s.

Bird/Diz/Bud--Massey Hall, 1953

Clifford Brown with Max Roach--1954-55

Monk with Coltrane at the Five Spot--1957

Ornette Coleman at the Five Spot--1959

Miles Davis with Coltrane--1960 European tour

Charles Mingus at the Showplace, with Eric Dolphy--1960

John Coltrane Quintet with Eric Dolphy--1961

Charles Mingus at the Village Vanguard 1963--Black Saint big band.

Charles Mingus European tour 1964, with Dolphy, Byard, Jordan.

Lee Morgan--circa 1960s.