Tristano and Coltrane?

ghost of miles

I'm rereading Bill Coss' Dec. 6, 1962 DownBeat article "Lennie Tristano Speaks Out" and noticed this Tristano quote: "(Critics) should listen in person in many different circumstances. John Coltrane, for example, sounded different with two basses and Elvin Jones than he did with me." Are there any known instances of Coltrane and Tristano performing together? I checked Eunmi Shim's Tristano biography and couldn't find a reference to any such encounter. Or am I misreading Tristano's quote?

Just checked the 2008 Coltrane reference book and it yields no reports of such an encounter either. They crossed paths at a benefit concert at Birdland in February 1950 that featured numerous groups (Coltrane, obviously still an unknown at that point, was playing with Dizzy Gillespie), but Tristano's reference seems to be contemporaneous. I'm not questioning LT's veracity, btw; just curious to learn more (would be even more interesting to HEAR, of course).

December 1962. I wonder if Tristano and Coltrane would have crossed paths again ... at The Half Note? I'm guessing Tristano would have heard Giant Steps by this point. I wonder what he thought of that record. For that matter, I wonder what Coltrane thought of Warne Marsh's playing.

December 1962. I wonder if Tristano and Coltrane would have crossed paths again ... at The Half Note? I'm guessing Tristano would have heard Giant Steps by this point. I wonder what he thought of that record. For that matter, I wonder what Coltrane thought of Warne Marsh's playing.

That's weird...I've been listening to a lot of Coltrane and Marsh lately and had the exact same question come to mind.

Maybe from Konitz, really.

Anyway, Lennie Tristano sure had the occasion to work with good drummers too. He worked with Max Roach, then there are the broadcasts "Bands for Bonds" from 1947. Two sessions, one with Max Roach, the other with Buddy Rich. Well those were pick up all star groups......, like the Metronome All Stars.....

Lennie was a very critical cat. Looking back, he had a positive function in his criticisms to keep musical standards high, but I think that he was overly critical alot of the time. He told me that "Bill Evans has some nice chords, but they are all worked out", for example. I gave him Now he Sings Now He Sobs, and all he told me that "Chick's comping chords were too staccato in the LH".
He definately despised much of the FREE JAZZ thing in the 60's, telling us it was "all emotion, no feeling". I can dig where he was coming from because everybody was buying into alot of the bullshit free jazz stuff that was going on, but still I think he was overcritical in general..

Dave Frank

He definately despised much of the FREE JAZZ thing in the 60's, telling us it was "all emotion, no feeling". I can dig where he was coming from because everybody was buying into alot of the bullshit free jazz stuff that was going on, but still I think he was overcritical in general..

Dave Frank

That´s interesting, because I once read a statement done by Miles. When he was asked what he thinks about the "New Thing" "Avantgarde" (Free Jazz), he aswered something like that he doesn´t know what´s so revolutionary about it. He said "Lennie Tristano and Lee Konitz" already did that stuff in the late 40´s, but then it did make sense....

Dave Frank

That´s interesting, because I once read a statement done by Miles. When he was asked what he thinks about the "New Thing" "Avantgarde" (Free Jazz), he aswered something like that he doesn´t know what´s so revolutionary about it. He said "Lennie Tristano and Lee Konitz" already did that stuff in the late 40´s, but then it did make sense....

Seems like both Miles and Lennie were inclined to make lots of absurd/stupid comments on this subject of free jazz, though hard to tell how much of this was just trolling.

Miles' comment = reductio ad absudum of the notion of spontaneous collective improvisation. It was a good sound bite. And like all good sound bites, true as far as it went, and also like all good sound bites, not particularly far is how far it went.

I think you give Miles too much slack. He was never above stating something and making a huge pivot as his mind was changed.

I think it speaks to how superficial the whole notion of "free improvisation" was to him at that time. He had a simple, reducioed al absurdiumned perception of it and made a simple, and quotable, observation, well yeah, cats just getting up and blowing whatever comes into their head, Lennie & Lee already done that, next.

No doubt, he pivoted once he got his head around the reality, rather than the perception. And I give him both credit and slack for being open to doing/able to actually do that.

I'm rereading Bill Coss' Dec. 6, 1962 DownBeat article "Lennie Tristano Speaks Out" and noticed this Tristano quote: "(Critics) should listen in person in many different circumstances. John Coltrane, for example, sounded different with two basses and Elvin Jones than he did with me." Are there any known instances of Coltrane and Tristano performing together? I checked Eunmi Shim's Tristano biography and couldn't find a reference to any such encounter. Or am I misreading Tristano's quote?

I heard long ago from a Tristano insider that this was a misquote and they had not played together. People like Connie Crothers and Carol Tristano would know the truth about this quote.

Q

It is ok to find faults in Miles.

He beat women, dissed Hank Mobley in a most un-gracious manner, and let his coke habit kill his music there for a while.

Other than that, whatever faults I'm sure he had, I'm like, does he still owe me money? Does he want to sleep in my house? Does he sign my check?

The answer to all of the above being, "no, he's dead", I'm willing to be objective about all that real-time stuff. Dude was vain, mean, nasty, and had a damn good sense of how to play the money/power game. C'est la motherfucker, right?

I never knew the man, and only know a few people who did, so any faults I might find are from the outside. Hell, most of my thoughts about anything are from the outside. "Who cares what you think?", well, exactly.

I will find fault with the Blackhawk records, though, no matter what anybody says. That shit is lazy. Top-shelf lazy, but still lazy. There's a real fault with Miles, imo. The motherfucker got lazy with that band, and then he got lazy with disciplining his drug habit in the 70s. I can't judge, but I can find those faults, for sure.