AFTER the mobley goes oop

What is it, six disks? Still available through the Mosaic website (and I am surprised). This set should be already on the Last Chance list.

I've got my set. Maybe I should purchase a couple more for future eBay sales?

I wonder, too, what will this set go for when it can no longer be purchased from Mosaic? What about three or four years after it goes Out Of Print? :huh:

I think the bottom dropped out of the market long ago. As an example, look at how much the Lee Morgan and Curtis Fuller Mosaics sell for. There is a new listing for the Fuller almost daily.

The peak of the OOP BN CD market was apparently reached a few years back when the old "Straight No Filter" CD was going for about $200. And there was a big panic about "True Blue", too. I'm glad that things have calmed down since then.

So, it does not seem likely that one should get the Mobley Mosaic just to make some money down the road. (Also, the TOCJs, which contain nearly all the contents of the Mosaic, there being few out-takes, sound a lot better.)

So, it does not seem likely that one should get the Mobley Mosaic just to make some money down the road.

I'd not purchase a Mosaic set as an investment. I purchase the Mosaic sets for the music. At the same time it's comforting to know the sets tend to retain or exceed their original cost/value.

However, I would rather buy the Mobley now, from Mosaic, if I didn't already have a copy, than wait and attempt to purchase the same set from eBay.

I disagree with shrdlu. The bottom has not dropped out of the mosaic market on ebay. while not pulling in as many bucks as they regularly did a few years ago, I think one can say that mosaics will generally pull in double the retail price in approximately 12 months from when they officially go out of print. there are exceptions to this statement which constitutes part of the difference between the current market and what it was afew years ago. Some interim is necessary and explainable to allow everybody who did buy mosaics for investment purposes to sell them off on ebay to those who did not know about mosaic or were not able to buy the box sets before they went out of print. This may be part of the reason why the fullers and the rivers sets are not going for double their retail price-it has not been a long enough time for the market to absorb the those that were bought for resale in relationship to the respective demand for them. For that matter, the fuller and maybe the rivers have not been out of print for quite a year yet. on the other hand, boxes like the hamilton and the phillips do quite nicely. Perhaps the availability of japanese and domestic reissues of all or part of the individual releases that make up the boxes might impact the demand for some boxes. And not all labels have been as aggresive as blue note in reissuing product domestically, i.e., verve. want to bet that the few stuff smiths that go on ebay go for considerably more than retail? as for other sets based on blue note that have been out of print for more than a year, they seem to draw decent prices. didn't a morgan set recently go for over $200 recently? at $50 per disc that is nothing ot sneee at. on the other end of the spectrum are the sets that were released to other retailers, like the kenton set, ebay auctions for which regularly end up right around its retail price or less with a few exceptions.

that said, investing in mosaics is not going to put your kid through school. however, it can defray the cost of future mosaic purchases

An Andrew Hill just sold for $370 and a Sam Rivers for $167.50!! I've never seen a Rivers go for anywhere NEAR that much before.

Thank god I bought both of these when they were still in print. In fact, back when I bought the Hill box, I bought it primarily for all the sidemen on it, more than for Hill (who I really didn't know at all, beyond "Point of Departure"). I think it was a good two years before I had listened ever track on the box more than twice, and probably another year or two more before I really got bitten by the "Andrew Hill" bug.

Like I said -- damn good thing I bought it when I did, even if I really wasn't ready for it yet, at the time.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

So anyway Son-of-a-Weizen, that was FUNNY

More like another example of Son-of-a-Weizen zeroing in on a trivial (and obvious) mistatement instead of addressing the main point.

We see examples of this all the time on the political thread.

Edited by riverrat

This board seems to have adopted an unspoken motto that has worked to make it a very pleasant place to post and/or lurk, in spite of the presence of a political forum:

What happens in the political forum stays in the political forum

:tup:tup:tup:)

Edited by Ed Swinnich

I guess my mind moves faster than my fingers - unlike some here.

Money over music is the way. Savvy collectors make more money than Hank did. Go for it and be happy.

Back to the topic at hand - If you want all this music NOW, buy it now. If you can wait, wait.

I have had most of this music for close to 40 years and love it, but I do not have the Mosaic box.

I forgot to add: I hate lp/cd undertakers. Bunch of creeps living off of others love of music.

Edited by Chuck Nessa