Rooster's gonna order from Dusty Groove soon...

Rooster_Ties

Link: http://www.dustygroove.com

OK, I've gotta put in an order to Dusty Groove (the bastards!!) by this Friday (Feb 27th -- or by Sunday, Feb 29th at the latest) ----- in order to get a couple Charles Tolliver discs for a cousin of mine, for his birthday in mid-March.

So, as long as I'm at it, I wondering what else I can't do without for myself - as long as I'm paying for shipping costs anyway. I can only afford 3 or 4 discs at most, but it's been ages since I've ordered anything from Dusty Groove - and I always feel like there's a ton of stuff on their site that I should be more aware of than I am.

Most of you know how my tastes run: Andrew Hill(!), Larry Young, Charles Tolliver, Woody Shaw, Tyrone Washington, almost anything on Blue Note between 1963 and 1970, Billy Harper in the 70’s, Strata East stuff, and more recently: Greg Osby since 1995, Jason Moran, Jeremy Pelt, Dave Holland, etc...

So, what might I be overlooking from Dusty Groove?? - that I should otherwise not be without!!!!

Oh, one more thing: I'm interested in buying CD's ONLY for this order.

Also, note to Free For All, you wanna get in anything on this order, so we can save on combined shipping costs?? Our mutual Kansas City friend Spontooneous is also goin’ in on this order too, so the more the merrier!! (And I'm also probably gonna pick up a couple Charles Tolliver discs for Gerald Dunn too, while I'm at it.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

You can't just make "a few" recommendations for a buy at Dusty Groove. You really do need to browse the site, and in all categories.

If I ever decide to plunge headfirst into Brazilian music, they'll end up with ALL my money (the BASTARDS!), as they will when I inevitably take the plunge into the whole "neo-soul" trip. But as it is now, I'll stick to looking at the jazz LPs and "Sale CDs" once or twice a month. That's more than enough for me.

But tell you what - I've had my eye on that Ted Curson Canadian Concert thing for a while, especially since they now have it on LP for less than the CD. Why don't one of you guys buy it and let me know how it is, ok? ;)

1. Lonnie Smith -- Finger Lickin' Good (original pressing) . . . LP . . . $14.99 (Item: 3456)

Columbia, Mid-60's Condition: Good View Cart

A monster batch of funky tracks from organist Lonnie Smith! The album's his first ever -- and predates the Blue Note sides by a few years -- issued by Columbia around the time that Lonnie was working for the label as George Benson's organist. Lonnie brings a rawness to the album that you're not likely to hear on a Columbia session from the time -- and he's joined by soul jazz heavyweights like George Benson, Blue Mitchell, Melvin Sparks, and King Curtis. Tracks are short with a hard wailing organ jazz groove -- and titles include "Hola Muneca", "Minor Chant", "Sideman", "Say Stuff", and "Keep Talkin". (Red label 60s mono pressing.) (From the Jazz LP (T-Z and Various) page.)

smith_lonni_fingerlic_102b.jpg

I was going to mention the Brazilian thing earlier but something came up. Personal faves of mine are:

f40484ligot.jpg

Jorge Ben - Samba Esquema Novo (1969)

f45122zh2ls.jpg

Jorge ben - A Tábua de Esmeralda (1974)

d12600rlb3q.jpg

Milton Nascimento - Clube da Esquina (1972)

f36065hxdrb.jpg

Various Artists - Tropicalia: Ou Panis Et Circenses

d88937mi629.jpg

Gilberto Gil - Gilberto Gil (1968)

I'm not pretending that any of these are 'lesser-known' or anything. They're are all no-brainers.

Just grabbed this one over the weekend:

GORDON BECK QUARTET

Experiments With Pops

A perfect example of why the British jazz scene of the late 60s was so exciting -- as Gordon Beck works here with a young John McLaughlin, in an album of surprising delights! The format is, as the title states, "experiments with pops" -- late 60s soul and pop hits, given a really dynamic twist! Jazz (CD)

PLUS ... I snagged a copy of Don Patterson's first lp on Cadet, "Goin' Down Home".

I would guess their "fill rate" over the years has been 90%+.

I stopped by their location 4-5 years ago in Chicago. I would highly recommend that anyone passing through town check them out - eclectic doesn't even begin to define their inventory :)

I seem to remember the place is owned by some relatively well off guy who was perhaps subsidizing the operation a bit. True or not, this really is a neat spot for us jazz heads, both online and in person.

Eric

I shop at Dusty Groove every few weeks (at the actual store). Their jazz selection is actually quite small compared with the other music in the store. I don't know if any other store that I shop at that has a smaller jazz section, but the selection is very, very good at decent prices.. Their jazz LP selection is bigger than the cd selection. I never go to Chicago without stopping there and the Jazz Record Mart!

Mark