Blue Mitchell / Sonny Red - Uptown

Chuck Nessa

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How's the piano on this new "Blue Mitchell / Sonny Red - Uptown" release??

If it's as out of tune as a couple of the other Left Bank things I've heard, I'd be hard-pressed to get too excited about this.

Then again, if it's not too bad -- then I'm in.  I'm not even all that picky, bud DAMN, there's one Lee Moran left Bank thing I know I used to have (forget which one), that was downright painful.

I mean, it's a neat docunent, but not particularly revelatory. Sonny Red is interesting in a "hmmmm...interesting" kind of way, and you can never have enough Joe Chambers, but I don't know that you leave this one with more than you come in with except for one more nice CO on your shelves.

Imo, etc.

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

I mean, it's a neat docunent, but not particularly revelatory. Sonny Red is interesting in a "hmmmm...interesting" kind of way, and you can never have enough Joe Chambers, but I don't know that you leave this one with more than you come in with except for one more nice CO on your shelves.

Imo, etc.

It helps to contextualize that Sonny Red Mainstream date in ways I'd not anticipated. The way he's constructing his solos here sounds rather different to me -- less bop, more... what? -- than it does on his Jazzland and BN dates. But I do understand what you're saying.

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

How many of the shiny happy CDs on the shelves are a relevation instead of a documentation?

I'm always interested in this kind of document and now having finished the worst of the inflated expenses of our move, it's time to place the order ...

I'm always interested as well, that's why I got it, and enjoyed it. But the more time passes, the more I want to tilt towards revelatory, just where I'm at/heading to...definitely what my remaining available space is demanding.. But by all means, yes, get this one, there is certainly nothing to displease, and much to be pleased by.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

It helps to contextualize that Sonny Red Mainstream date in ways I'd not anticipated. The way he's constructing his solos here sounds rather different to me -- less bop, more... what? -- than it does on his Jazzland and BN dates. But I do understand what you're saying.

He sounds like he's working on reorganizing his thinking into more motivic-based thinking, obvious a later-ish Trane-ish thing to do, but at times, it seems to me, gettin' kinda Hank-ish about it as well. Phrases more as "blocks" rather than "lines" might be one way to describe it?

Sonny Red seems to have been one of those guys who was always working towards something, and never uninterestingly. Apparently he was often derailed by "personal problems" enough that he perhaps never fully found what he was looking for. But his voice is compelling, always.

If we were to focus our listening and acquiring of jazz recordings to revelatory items, I suspect our shelves would be very very very limited in number of CDs / LPs.

It reminds me a bit of a friend who said he only wanted to listen to the jazz giants such as Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Lester Young,  Bird, Monk, Coltrane and maybe a handful of others.

I could never buy into that kind of thinking.  

My shelves are reaching the breaking point, believe me, and in all basic formats (can I interest you in a buttload full of cassettes?). Believe me, this was not the result of searching for revelations. You don't buy, say, Don Patterson LPs on sight to find revelations, you do that simply because they're so damn good, all of them, and more of the same is more of a good thing. Collection obesity not just embraced, but swallowed whole, with zero intent of ever shitting ANY of it back out.

However, in my case, capacity to collect is finite, but capacity to store is not.

So now I'm now starting to ask myself before buying more physical product if it's going to be more or less more of the same, or if it's going to be something that will stay off the shelves for a while, stays handy to the player, something that I have to pay the fullest of attentions to. External HDs make that a more practical consideration than ever before, I am not opposed to digital, especially for "more of the same", no matter how good that "same" is.

Merely a question of continuing to scratch the same itch or scratching a new one. and it's still a transitional process. Old scratch reflexes die hard, even after the flesh becomes red and raw.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I'm always interested as well, that's why I got it, and enjoyed it. But the more time passes, the more I want to tilt towards revelatory, just where I'm at/heading to...definitely what my remaining available space is demanding.. But by all means, yes, get this one, there is certainly nothing to displease, and much to be pleased by.

He sounds like he's working on reorganizing his thinking into more motivic-based thinking, obvious a later-ish Trane-ish thing to do, but at times, it seems to me, gettin' kinda Hank-ish about it as well. Phrases more as "blocks" rather than "lines" might be one way to describe it?

Sonny Red seems to have been one of those guys who was always working towards something, and never uninterestingly. Apparently he was often derailed by "personal problems" enough that he perhaps never fully found what he was looking for. But his voice is compelling, always.

Yes, that's a good description of what I'm hearing. It sounds Rollins-ish to me, too... but without (the greater) Sonny's personal sense of melody. Bop phrases, by and large, but Red is collaging or bricolage-ing them into new assemblages. Less Alexander Calder, more Robert Rauschenberg.

Yes, from Dusty Groove a couple of weeks back.

As noted, everyone one on the gig seemed to be having a very good afternoon. Nice sonic restoration (I think this has a bit more clarity than the Left Bank material that showed up on Label M back in the day).

Yeh, I pre-ordered from Amazon. Seems to be a sure-fire way to get items like this. The intial proces is a bit high, but it always goes down by shipping time, and you pay the low price then.

I did the same thing with the new Larry Young & Herbie Mann things, and have already done so with the new Sonny. Pre-order early, sit back, relax, and forget all about it until it shows up,, and then, happy surprise!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, it's a good record.

Actually I do have this ? and really like the rhythm section a lot - the seemingly laid back horns have IMO - after some listens - a own distinctive quality and indirectly intensify the groove of Hicks + Taylor + Chambers even more ....

Following the news of this release a number of members here were enthusiastic but only two feedbacks  (including yours showing some reservation) came to light so I simply wondered about additional experiences/impressions  .... did you actually had a chance to re-evaluate this recording ?