Miles Ahead Movie Trailer

BillF

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Sadly, I guess so. Nobody under 40ish at my viewing. I'm putting it down to the fact that it was a Sunday afternoon in a provincial town but even so - a sad indication of the demographics. Shame, as there's much in this film that the younger crowd can enjoy..

I saw it on a Saturday night in NYC metro area and I was one of less than 10 in the audience.....sad.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Shame, as there's much in this film that the younger crowd can enjoy..

Perhaps the sort of music heard as the final credits rolled?^_^

42 minutes ago, skeith said:

I saw it on a Saturday night in NYC metro area and I was one of less than 10 in the audience.....sad.

NYC, Manchester and the West of England and we've yet to reach total audience of 40! :(

Saw this in KC Friday night.  Maybe 10 people there.

I had to take an emergency call maybe 3/4 of the way through.  I was enjoying it more than I thought.  Agree with the earlier comments re: Cheadle's performance.  By the time I left, things had descended somewhat - the whole "get the tape back" plot seemed "tacked on" and pulled down what was an otherwise fairly entertaining movie.

1 hour ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

is it worth it u guys, i dont mean factually, i assume it to be all crazy--- but was it worth it, did u have fun watching it.  im not going all the way down there and paying 12 dollars unless its like, a fun experience 

I paid $9. It was worth that.

1 hour ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

is it worth it u guys, i dont mean factually, i assume it to be all crazy--- but was it worth it, did u have fun watching it.  im not going all the way down there and paying 12 dollars unless its like, a fun experience 

see my post above.....for me the answer is yes.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 0:48 PM, sidewinder said:

Having just seen it (audience of 6 and one departed half way through..:huh:) I have to say - I really liked it !

Don Cheadle's performance first rate - particularly as the later Miles. The early scenes in the brownstone with the cockroaches scuttling around can't have been too far from the truth ! If there was one weakness maybe it was the recreated earlier 50s and 60s scenes, which didn't have quite the narrative and flow of the 1979 bit. I appreciate though that a romantic narrative does help with box office.

I did particularly enjoy the (background, on the TV) recreation of the 1975 Osaka Hall concert right at the beginning and the telephone chat with Phil Shaap. Spot on !

The soundtrack was the real standout. Couldn't  have done a better job myself with the selection of music to intersperse with the 'action'.

Really liked the ending too featuring Herbie and Wayne !

Is it only me or did that slimy Columbia exec who nicked the rehearsal tape look a bit like Mel Lewis?...

Sidewinder

I am glad you mentioned the Schaap moment (maybe there were two?).... Having listened to many of his broadcasts over the years.... I got such a laugh watching this in the film....something for Schaap lovers and haters alike.

One other thing I wanted to say about the film.   In the credits at the end it lists most performances as being by "Miles Davis" and the same performances as written by "Miles Davis Jr."....almost giving the impression that these are different people....odd.

Chuckling in my seat when the Schaap bit came on. It was either his actual voice or a pretty good imitation. That whole first 5-10 minutes of the film were most entertaining. Of course Miles nerds like me were querying just why the TV film reconstruction of Osaka had what looked like a Dave Liebman clone in the style of Vienna 1973 in place of  Sonny Fortune..:mellow::lol:

Edited by sidewinder

Are you UK guys getting this in mainstream theatre's or in art houses? The only one place here that has it is an almost ddowntown art jouse, even though we have suburban, multi-screen art houses. It's pretty damn hard to just pop out of the house and catch a screenig, if you know what I mean.

Come to think of it though, Cheadle's Petey Green movie had a limited distribution. But Petey Green is a significantly less known name than is Miles Davis, so...Part of me gets limited release to see if it builds, but another part of me wonders why I can't even see it in an African-American neighborhood's multiplex. ONE venue in a major metropolitan area.

No matter. If Don Cheadle seems a little seethy sometimes, that's ok.

I went to see it yesterday in Sheffield to find the showing cancelled - technical problem. So I win the low audience figure competition. 0. 

Would have cost me £5.20 using my codger credentials. Will try again next week. 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Saw it today. Seems like either the Frances movie or the mystery tape movie would have made for great individual movies, bur didn't feel like they really linked together on a great movie way.

Still, I was entertained, and truthfully, liked the fictional lost tape movie quite a bit. Don Cheadle as Gangster Miles works!

Maybe this is relevant maybe not.

After having seen Miles Ahead the weekend before last, I decided to see the biopic for another one of my idols Hank Williams last weekend.  This movie - entitled "I Saw the Light" - was not well-reviewed and does not really get below the surface of Hank, but British actor Tom Hiddleston as Hank is amazing in that he looks like Hank, has the accent down and he did an amazing job singing the songs which he sang in his own voice....not lip synching to original Hank recordings....and he is totally believable.

As with the Miles film, the Hank film was sparsely attended  - maybe 20 people...but I was surprised to see three African-American couples of various ages in attendance....there were none at the Miles film

I enjoyed Cheadle as Miles quite a bit,  just felt that there were two movies happening at the same time that were only partially tied together by the end. That was my qualm, such as it was.

Interstitial enough, it seemed that the more...interpretational of the two, the Mystery Tape story, really took off in a way that felt like Miles. The more literal biopic element did right to bring out the sensitive side of Miles, but I dunno...I liked the time skipping rather than straight flashback gambit, and the thing in the boxing ring at the end where boxers became band was for sure a kind of brilliance, but  Frances as Rosebud, not so sure...