• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Duke Ellington “The Private Collection, Vol. 7: Studio Sessions, 1957 & 1962”

183ac50fba3b417703063ee1843fee90bab9aaeb

Full orchestra and octet recordings, featuring some interesting arrangements re-thinking band staples. Lots of great Gonsalves!

How exactly are they private?  Studio sessions Duke paid for but were never issued? Unissued/rejected tracks from known LPs?  Been listening to more Gonsalves lately and this makes me curious.

51 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

How exactly are they private?  Studio sessions Duke paid for but were never issued? Unissued/rejected tracks from known LPs?  Been listening to more Gonsalves lately and this makes me curious.

Pulled from a "stockpile" of recordings that Ellington produced and recorded over the years funded from his own pocket and not officially released before this series. Not unissued or rejected  tracks, but full-fledged recordings made for various reasons--try out new arrangements, showcase new compositions, feature an artist, etc.

Now Playing

f2e1d72aa60aaa94c9d13fb863ede980a6aff887.jpeg

Disc 2

Edited by jazzbo

More from Masahiko Togashi:

with Masahiko Satoh, Sabu Toyozumi, and others

Like Togashi's Guild for Human Music, Essence was released on the Denon Jazz imprint.  I'm curious: Does anyone know who owns the rights to these recordings now?  Have they been pulled under the new Concord umbrella / conglomerate? 

I'm only asking because there were many outstanding releases on the label.  (And it's not just Japanese jazz.  Don't forget: Max Roach Quartet - Live in Tokyo, Vols. 1 & 2.)  These LPs deserve to be reissued; in fact, an entire reissue series dedicated to Denon Jazz would be fantastic. 

What about Solid/Ultra-Vybe?  They could do it.  This stuff would be right up their alley.

I realize that it's unlikely.  But I can dream, can't I ?!?  

4 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Dan - If you want to dig into Gonsalves' playing, these Private Collection recordings are the MOTHERLODE.  He's featured throughout.  

Edited by HutchFan