So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

32 minutes ago, T.D. said:

I love Nucleus's 6-CD Torrid Zone box set on Esoteric. Have often been tempted by the BBC set, but could never justify purchase given that significant box from the same era I already own.

This is definitely supplemental to that box rather than a replacement for ti, especially given the annoyances of the BBC announcers (thankfully given their own tracking, so you can program around them), but there's some great stuff on this one also, and it's different enough from the Torrid Zone box. 

• Replies 80.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, felser said:

This is definitely supplemental to that box rather than a replacement for ti, especially given the annoyances of the BBC announcers (thankfully given their own tracking, so you can program around them), but there's some great stuff on this one also, and it's different enough from the Torrid Zone box. 

Thanks, good to know. I'll leave it on the want list and hope for a compelling offering.

I enjoy the Barbara Thompson BBC box and don't have any problem with those BBC announcers...they must get more air time on the Nucleus set.

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now streaming:

OC0zMzc5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Grachan Moncur III - Shadows (Denon, 1977)
Andy Bey should've received a front-cover "featuring" credit, since his voice is so prominent throughout the album.

As you say, it is basically an Andy Bey record.

Clive Zanda – Clive Zanda Is Here With "Dat KInda Ting": Calypsojazz Innovations (1975)

R-6098004-1411008266-4698.jpg

Daria Toffali “Caminhos Cruzados - Antonio Carlos Jobim Song Book” Venus cd

New to me Jobim songbook.Despite the pumped up Venus sound, and the language barrier, I like these stark interpretations.

da79865e12b19e0da3f2f1093a90165145447559

Bass – Nicola Barbon
Drums – Roberto Facchinetti
Lead Vocals – Daria Toffali
Piano – Massimo Faraò

48 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

This one is completely new to me.  I'm giving it a listen now via YT.  Definitely a feel-good vibe.

For the name, it is surprisingly straight jazz. I was expecting a calypso thing. I hear a lot of Ramsey Lewis, although the soloing is more concentrated than one tends to find on a Ramsey Lewis record. The calypso is there but more as a sort of rhythmic edge. It's not like he's playing "St. Thomas". Its a bit like when 60s South African musicians play completely straight non-Cape jazz, but the marabi ends up creeping in anyway in the decision-making.

Streaming is amazing for this sort of thing. I'd have never heard of a record like this otherwise.

On a different note, I strongly recommend the Francophone Caribbean jazz and fusion world of the time, especially musicians from Guadaloupe. That's a really interesting mix of musics. Also very easily accessible in the world of streaming. French Caribbean fusion and gwo-ka music is a recent discovery for me. Really amazing stuff.

Edited by Rabshakeh

15 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

For the name, it is surprisingly straight jazz. I was expecting a calypso thing. I hear a lot of Ramsey Lewis, although the soloing is more concentrated than one tends to find on a Ramsey Lewis record. The calypso is there but more as a sort of rhythmic edge. It's not like he's playing "St. Thomas". Its a bit like when 60s South African musicians play completely straight non-Cape jazz, but the marabi ends up creeping in anyway in the decision-making.

Agreed.  I thought of Ramsey Lewis too.

15 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Streaming is amazing for this sort of thing. I'd have never heard of a record like this otherwise.

No doubt.

16 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

On a different note, I strongly recommend the Francophone Caribbean jazz and fusion world of the time, especially musicians from Guadaloupe. That's a really interesting mix of musics. Also very easily accessible in the world of streaming. French Caribbean fusion and gwo-ka music is a recent discovery for me. Really amazing stuff.

Any particular artists or albums that you'd recommend?  I'd love to take a swim in that pool, but I have no idea where to begin.

Wow. I haven’t revisited this recording in some time.

This dance remix disc will challenge your system. It’s a good tool . . . if you get distortion-free clarity and a huge dynamic punch from this recording, your system can handle almost anything!

Monday Michiru “Alter Ego: Nexus Remixed”
[IMG]

[IMG]

10 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Any particular artists or albums that you'd recommend?  I'd love to take a swim in that pool, but I have no idea where to begin.

I'm no expert but I like these:

Adolphe Parillon - I Paint The Sky (Ce L'En Mo)

Ka Leve – Ka Lévé

Kat-Tet – Women

Edmony Krater Et Zepiss – Tijan Pou Velo

These are all on the jazz fusioney side. Not purist gwoka.