Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OTItNTU4MC5qcGVn.jpeg

This is definitely very good and ticks all the boxes for me. The long selection Variation of III, written by Reggie Workman, didn't click on the first couple of listens, but now I like it too.

12 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Primary

👍😁

Roberta had an interesting european tour. She did also a nice album with the Pratt Brothers big band

Here is an example from her european tour. Have recorded some of her appearances from radio.

44206536mz.jpg

44206542pp.jpg

44206541nl.jpg

12 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Primary

💗 👍 Nice compilation ----> rustic hop *****

21 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Bud Powell with some nice melodies!

There are more Items on Verve!

Verve MV 2533 (Japan 1975/01) - Bud Powell " Jazz Giant - rec. 1949 & 1950

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I think it is one of the essential Bud Powell albums for all who study his music, mostly for pianists. 
I heard it at a very early age and knew that if I listen much and learn about that musical conception of bop, I´ll eventually master it. 
But since the very very first Bud Powell I had heard was a session from the same time with Parker, Fats Navarro, Curley Russell and Art Blakey, I remember I noticed that the Verve session is on the same piano level, but for my tastes it missed that hearing of the drums. I mean you have Max Roach on that and can´t hear him, and you can hear Blakey so well on the Bird-Fats thing......

There was another Verve album with Bud playing solo, and another trio record with strangly Buddy Rich on drums but again you don´t hear him much. 

Also on Verve I think I have "The Lonely One" which is a very fine album with some vintage bop tunes with some better rhythm section with Percy Heath and Kenny Clarke, and I think there is a very good Art Taylor playing on "Conception", also a tune from a Verve recording.

I only find that the liner Notes of this album are quite dumb, it was not written by someone who really KNOWS Bud´s music......

The Essence All Stars “Hub Art: A Celebratio of the Music of Freddie Hubbard” Hip Bop cd

a69dab326d85cbb09350b36841efcafe595cd826

Bass – Ron Carter
Drums, Producer – Lenny White
Piano – Cedar Walton
Tenor Saxophone – Javon Jackson
Trumpet – Eddie Henderson , Marcus Belgrave, Wallace Roney

On 5/12/2024 at 3:23 AM, Gheorghe said:

If I only would have noticed the name of that guy from the states, whom I heard once. 

I led a jam session at Zwe in Viena and a very very heavy guy came down into the club, having an alto with him. He was so heavy that Mingus or Fats Navarro would have been lightweight compared to him.
I saw him with the alto and from the piano I waved him on stage and believe it or not.......: It was like if Jackie McLean would have been again among us. THAT ALTO SOUND, it was like if it was him, well there was also a bit of Dolphy and sure a lot of that unknown guy himself in it, but it was INCREDIBLE how great it was. I talked a litte to him later, but he was only "a tourist" as he stated and I never saw him again...... I would have liked to play with him very very very much.

I wonder if you're talking about the late Andy Fusco? He was a big guy who could really play.

13 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

There was another Verve album with Bud playing solo, and another trio record with strangly Buddy Rich on drums but again you don´t hear him much. 

Thanks for your comments.

Here is another one from Verve (original on Norgran label)  which I played recently. Again he has selected nice melodies.

-Trio one with Max Roach

- Trio 2 with Art Blaley

Verve UMV 2571 [Japan 1981] - rec. 1954 & 1955(?)

47629848vs.jpg

47629850ad.jpg

47629849ex.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner