Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Just been spinning this one again on vinyl - excellent. Victor Lewis’s ‘Seventh Avenue’ is always good to hear; when he was in Bobby Watson’s Horizon they used to feature that one too.

I believe this Woody Shaw Quintet edition was part of the best 70' working bands ....

On 28.8.2022 at 0:34 PM, Rabshakeh said:

Lee Ritenour – Captain Fingers (Epic, 1977)

R-768247-1402054261-6878.jpg

Gradually coming to the conclusion that I like Lee Ritenour's stuff quite a lot. It's light pop fusion, but it never has the deadly quality of stiff rhythms or silly guitar shredding. Sort of a watered down Bill Cobham sound. Dated enough to be distant and charming. Actually nice. Doubt it appeals to 90% of listeners here.

Agree to your analysis. Have several of his albums on vinyl. Smooth listening stuff.

18 hours ago, HutchFan said:

MC0zMTkwLmpwZWc.jpeg

Shelly Manne & His Men - At The Black Hawk, Vol. 3 (Contemporary/OJC, 1960)

All 5 volumes are a very good listening stuff. Feldman with his block chords is tremendous.

Edited by jazzcorner
typo

Duke Ellington "Live at the Berlin Jazz Festival 1969-1973" Lost Recordings cd

s-l400.jpg

https://couleursjazz.fr/duke-ellington-live-at-the-berlin-jazz-festival-1969-1973/

Great sound, interesting performances. Scratching my Ellington itch this morning.

You know there was a time when I didn’t pay much attention to late Ellington. But I now realize what a mistake that was. There’s a world of charm in the late recordings. And “the piano player” was often featured prominently for good reasons.

Edited by jazzbo

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Duke Ellington "Live at the Berlin Jazz Festival 1969-1973" Lost Recordings cd

s-l400.jpg

https://couleursjazz.fr/duke-ellington-live-at-the-berlin-jazz-festival-1969-1973/

Great sound, interesting performances. Scratching my Ellington itch this morning.

You know there was a time when I didn’t pay much attention to late Ellington. But I now realize what a mistake that was. There’s a world of charm in the late recordings. And “the piano player” was often featured prominently for good reasons.

There's a reason Kevin Gray stopped cutting vinyl for this label. He doesn't work on bootlegs.

Okay. I have seen nothing that convinces me they are bootlegs either way.  

Right now

184326523895.jpg

Franco Cerri "Bossa Nova" 

CDJapan actually sent me this cd instead of "International Jazz Meeting" which has Barney Wilen. I kept it anyway, it's an interesting early (1963) Bossa Nova interpretation from Europe. Nothing serious or ground-breaking but it does make me want to move about. Like the flute and trombone blend on many main melody statements.

Edited by jazzbo

17 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Okay. I have seen nothing that convinces me they are bootlegs either way. 

Look at the CD art. Do they mention the label they licensed the material from? They may claim that they have clearance from the artists' estates, but that is not all that's needed. I get that you like these releases, but I spoke with a couple of people in the industry, and they tell me they are not legit. It's probably just not worth the money for a label to fight it in today's limited market. I was really surprised Universal (Verve) didn't go after them for that Stan Getz release.

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

:tup:) 

HutchFan, I did not know this one, but based on your current selections list I was able to get a copy and listen. I enjoyed it, but am perhaps not as enthusiastic as you about it. Nonetheless am glad to have a chance to hear it.

Harrell is a terrific player, but some of his recordings  veer off from the type of music I like best. A few of his early Criss Cross albums I like a lot.

Currently playing:

917gtE+QzCL._AC_UY218_.jpg

1 minute ago, Peter Friedman said:

HutchFan, I did not know this one, but based on your current selections list I was able to get a copy and listen. I enjoyed it, but am perhaps not as enthusiastic as you about it. Nonetheless am glad to have a chance to hear it.

Harrell is a terrific player, but some of his recordings  veer off from the type of music I like best. A few of his early Criss Cross albums I like a lot.

Fair enough.  To each, his own.  :tup 

50 minutes ago, JSngry said:

MC01ODIzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Still something fishy about this one to me... Still seems that it sounds like it's swinging more than it is actually swinging?

Otoh, those heads are tight! 

No doubt Morris Levy did something criminal with it.  

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

MC01ODIzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Still something fishy about this one to me... Still seems that it sounds like it's swinging more than it is actually swinging?

Otoh, those heads are tight! 

What are you implying by "something fishy"? Some fiddling with the speed of the tapes? How would that have been done so that the final results rhythmically weren't gobbledygook?