Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bobby Gordon and Dave McKenna "Clarinet Blue" Arbors cd

It makes sense that I would like Bobby Gordon so much because like I am he's very fond of the music and style of Pee Wee Russell. This is a nice one! McKenna gives just the right support and delivers some nice solos.

71QG4FB9gQL._AC_SL1050_.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

8 hours ago, Balladeer said:

Helmut Brandt Combo - Berlin Calling (Sonorama)

2 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

Its nice to find a german Helmut Brandt fan at the 'Organissimo' forum.

H. Brandt was one of the very important german jazz musicians of the Cool Era. His most famous composition is "Berlin Caling"  first issued on an early Bertelsman Vinyl.

My good friend Klaus Scholz (living in Berlin) and me have exchanged a lot of Brandt mateial which was never issued officially but are  recordings from the german radio.

We have also his official recordings which are listed below:

45201327px.jpg

45201330ex.jpg

45201331tj.jpg

👍

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Excellent ....

Yep.  Hank with George Duvivier is pretty much a "can't miss" situation.  :) 

It's also fun to hear how different this trio sounds with Shelly Manne in the drummer's chair compared to Jones' two Black & Blue albums -- Bluesette and Compassion -- with Duvivier and Alan Dawson.  

6 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Yep.  Hank with George Duvivier is pretty much a "can't miss" situation.  :) 

It's also fun to hear how different this trio sounds with Shelly Manne in the drummer's chair compared to Jones' two Black & Blue albums -- Bluesette and Compassion -- with Duvivier and Alan Dawson.  

Both drummers are a good fit, although i prefer Alan Dawson in this setting ....

15 hours ago, Jim Duckworth said:

I too am listening to this nice set further encouraged to do so by (much appreciated) Organissimo contributors and by a quote I came across in a Henry Threadgill interview:

Eddie Lockjaw Davis, I have to say, is probably the most original saxophone player I ever heard in my life. I’ve listened to all the different saxophone players, but I’ve never heard anyone play the saxophone like that. It’s the most convoluted style of playing that I ever heard in my life. You can hear a lot of players emulate Charlie Parker, Coltrane, all kinds of players. I’ve never heard anyone that can emulate this man, or anyone who can approach the saxophone in this way. It’s a strange style of playing, and the harmonic language is very different. His way of formulating sound on the instrument is extremely different; I don’t know what that was about. If you listen to Eddie Lockjaw Davis (most people haven’t listened to him, I don’t think), you will see that the notes don’t come out of the saxophone the way they do when other people play the saxophone. It’s very convoluted. It’s the most original thing I ever heard in my life. The most original.

100% agree to that. I had the luck to hear him live on many occasions from the second half of the 70´s into the early 80´s and it was amazing. Before that I already had a chance to hear a bit of his style on the sides he made with Fats Navarro for Savoy and the two tunes on Side B of the "Red Miles Davis Album" as we called it (an italian bootleg of Miles at Birdland 1951). 
I even have one of his Pablo records "Straight Ahead" (with the Tommy Flanagan Trio) signed by him with a dedication for me. 
Recently I got that complet Griff-Jaws CD set . 

AND: His composition "Hey Lock" is much played here in Viena by tenor players. It´s a tricky composition with the chords of the A sections of "Body and Soul" and "Lover" in the Bridge. I love to play it and I´m always glad if a leader on tenor call´s the tune on stage.....

1 hour ago, soulpope said:

Both drummers are a good fit, although i prefer Alan Dawson in this setting ....

good choice ! 

6 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Ralph Lalama's "Momentum"  What a fine "in the moment" player he is. image.thumb.png.7b2eac03c55e7588899565560312e5e2.png

👍 Indeed! I remember being blown away when he strode to the front of the Mel Lewis Orchestra for the first solo of the first number in a concert I saw in 1989, not too long before this recording was made.