• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In from a discogs seller.

171eb585288d39b81faf48d744e7291e02e360ad

“The Amazing Bud Powell” Blue Note Japan cd CP32-5241 from 1986 reissuing the complete “Vol.1” and alternates in recording order, remastered by Rudy Van Gelder.

Sounds really good! Music is of course phenomenal with many bebop greats on board.

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

In from a discogs seller.

171eb585288d39b81faf48d744e7291e02e360ad

“The Amazing Bud Powell” Blue Note Japan cd CP32-5241 from 1986 reissuing the complete “Vol.1” and alternates in recording order, remastered by Rudy Van Gelder.

Sounds really good! Music is of course phenomenal with many bebop greats on board.

I wonder how Cuscuna & Van Gelder got involved with this release? I can't think of many other CDs from this era that had Van Gelder's mastering. The masters were in California by then and most of the Japanese CDs from the CP32 series were mastered by Ron McMaster in California.

55 minutes ago, bresna said:

I wonder how Cuscuna & Van Gelder got involved with this release? I can't think of many other CDs from this era that had Van Gelder's mastering. The masters were in California by then and most of the Japanese CDs from the CP32 series were mastered by Ron McMaster in California.

I believe the entire 50 items in this series were produced by Cuscuna.

Perhaps it was a special request from Japan for RVG remastering, after all the RVG series was later initiated by Japan.

According to this page the two Miles Davis volumes, the Clifford Brown and (surprisingly) Juju were also remastered by RVG.

https://www.discogs.com/label/441028-Blue-Note-CD-Super-50

Edited by jazzbo

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

I believe the entire 50 items in this series were produced by Cuscuna.

Perhaps it was a special request from Japan for RVG remastering, after all the RVG series was later initiated by Japan.

According to this page the two Miles Davis volumes, the Clifford Brown and (surprisingly) Juju were also remastered by RVG.

https://www.discogs.com/label/441028-Blue-Note-CD-Super-50

Wasn't it determined that most of these early CP32 CDs are digital dupes of the US versions of these CDs that were mastered by Ron McMaster? In fact, the first Blue Note CDs sold in the US had CP32 CDs made in Japan with US artwork: https://www.discogs.com/release/12363492-Cannonball-Adderley-Somethin-Else

9 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I have no idea who determined what or where or when. This one I listened to says remastered by RVG right in the insert. Nor do I remember a US cd that has this configuration of the first two sessions Powell did for Blue Note complete in session order.

That is certainly true. It's really weird that the artwork on that CD didn't have it in large print on the obi, especially considering that the Japanese just adored RVG. It would've certainly been a selling point, even back in 1986.

10 hours ago, optatio said:

... and November 30, 1979 at the second Göttingen Jazz Festival: Carmell Jones & Friends Inc. feat. Miss Elly [later Elly Wright] Note: Carmell Jones replaced Leo Wright as leader because Leo Wright has had a stroke short before the gig.

Thanks for that Info. Leo was also member of the RIAS big band. Here is an example with with the "Berlin Dreamband" 1969 conducted by Stan Kenton (radiobroadcast)

45226333xo.jpg