• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, BillF said:

51rFb6KTH3L._UXNaN_FMjpg_QL85_.jpg

I never saw this cover and as much as I remember I had it as "Hawk in Germany" , I think it´s a Black Lion thing or so. 

As I have mentioned so often, I like Bud´s recording mostly when it was with hornplayers, like this one with Hawk, like the BN Vol 1 with Fats and Sonny, the one with Sonny Stitt, the Birdland Live Recordings with Bird and Diz and Fats, the Massey Hall and the  Curtis Fuller side 2 on BN Vol. 3. Much more than studio trio recordings. 

So, Bud is in top form here, his solos on "Stuffy" and "Spotlite" are incredible, and it might be the most exiting versions of Shaw Nuff, Salt Peanuts and so on....

But on this cover it shows a very young Bud, probably at WOR Studio in NY in the 40´s. That´s really strange......, as there are no photos of Bud with Hawk......

I think Bud played a second time in Essen, exactly one year later. 

The great bassist from Switzerland told once that he had seen the Bud-Pettiford-Clark union in Basel , but obviously there were no recordings of it. I think it was Barney Wilen on tenor on those. 

Starting off the day re-listening to this one. The mastering is excellent.

This is the first cd reissue of one of my favorite albums from the 'seventies, originally released in the US on Cobblestone.

Great, wild music.

Hermeto Pascoal, "Hermeto" 

Hermeto_Pascoal_Hermeto.jpg?is-pending-l

followed by

"CENARIO BRASILEIRO featuring João Bosco"
Celia Malheiros

cmcenario.jpg?ssl=1

celiajoao.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

10 hours ago, T.D. said:

All the art and documentation, apart from a few words, are in Japanese so I can't say a lot of substance. I can piece together the constituent albums (covers are given in the booklet), but can't go anywhere on track titles without a whole lot more work.

Disc 1 is all jazz, I only have one tune (#8) on previously acquired recording, it's a nice compilation with a bunch of styles: some straight-ahead (one vocal), some fusion, some free. The apparent cult favorite Aya's Samba album is represented, not sure if it's the title tune (see above). Based on a couple of listens, the disc is rather good.

Disc 2 was a complete shot in the dark. Mostly pop or rock of some type, lots of vocals, one mainly electronic selection, one electric blues. Definitely interesting, I like it more than expected. Fortunately no discernible techno/disco/boy band material.

Overall a pretty cool set. I'm happy with the purchase, spent $20 + (domestic US) shipping and don't begrudge the money. I'd say that disc 2 and the compilation nature of disc 1 (8 tunes by different groups, which I find a bit tough to wrap my head around) limit the amount one would pay for it. If you can find it on a streaming site*, definitely take a listen!

*Some pretty obscure Japanese titles on the "Aketa's Disk" label seem to be on Apple Music; I dunno about "Johnny's Disk", but maybe...

Thanks!  :tup 

10 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

To my less-than-audiophile ears, yes—more than acceptable. And so good to have such a trove of Scott with George Coleman. Three vocals from Ernie Andrews as well.

That's great news.  :tup 

I've been revisiting this London Brew thing.

[IMG]

Disc 1 makes more sense to me this time. . . I've decided that parts of it remind me more of "Miles Davis at Fillmore" than "Bitches Brew" (the synth interplay being like Keith and Chick in ways, and some reminds me of "The Mask") and though parts of the second track might be conceived to be like "Pharaoh's Dance". . .it is a lot more like "Ife" and some of "Get Up With It."

The horns are more dominant on the second disc and I like that more and forget about trying to see what was "Bitches Brew" inspired etc.

1 hour ago, Jim Duckworth said:

This record is a classic!

Yes sir!  You can hardly miss with the "Men from Memphis": Mabern, Coleman, and Strozier.   :tup 

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Starting off the day re-listening to this one. The mastering is excellent.

This is the first cd reissue of one of my favorite albums from the 'seventies, originally released in the US on Cobblestone.

Great, wild music.

Hermeto Pascoal, "Hermeto" 

Hermeto_Pascoal_Hermeto.jpg?is-pending-l

That Hermeto is on my to-get list.  :tup 

Has it finally been released?  Or did you get an advanced copy?  It seems like it's been delayed for forever.  Wasn't it originally supposed to come out last summer?!?

Edited by HutchFan

7 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

That Hermeto is on my to-get list.  :tup 

Has it finally been released?  Or did you get an advanced copy?  It seems like it's been delayed for forever.  Wasn't it originally supposed to come out last summer?!?

I pre-ordered mine via bandcamp and got it in the mail yesterday.

4 minutes ago, T.D. said:

:tup !

This is one of my favorite Kirk albums! Though I skip the LP side 4 track (silence with brief phone call intermission). 😄

I remember when that came out there were reviewers/critics that slated this release due to side 4 !

71UUU3OLX2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Mono box version - great !