Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, HutchFan said:

It would be hard for me to choose between Larry Willis and Mulgrew Miller.  Miller is certainly more forceful. I consider him to be one of McCoy's "heirs."  Willis, on the other hand, is more lyrical, subtle.  In the past, Willis talked about his indebtedness to Herbie.

I love all of them.  :)

Thank you for this very insightful compairing of them both. Mulgrew Miller died too early, he was not even 60 when he died. 
When I heard Larry Willis (he must have been still quite unknown then) recorded with Jackie McLean on BN I also had the impression that he had learned from Herbie. 
But later is might got into another direction, more lyrical subtle as you describe it. In this context I like to remark the two Smoke Jazz albums "Heads of State" where I mostly paid attention to Al Foster, Buster Williams and Gary Bartz, while I couldn´t really warm up for Larry Willis, same on a Woody Shaw from Basel 1980, Swissland. 

Mulgrew Miller sure had some McCoy thing in his playing, but he also had some Bud thing in his playing, as I observed when hearing a concert where he plays with Curtis Fuller, Benny Golson and later Johnny Griffin comin in as a second tenor. On that occasion, which was also filmed, Mulgrew Miller has a very Powell-ish approach on the more bop based tunes and he even looks very much like Bud: Heavy, head up with that moving lips like cewing a gum, maybe hollerin´ along with the lines he plays, it´s as if Bud had re-appeared so similar he looked like. 

15 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Primary

A classic, even if I was a bit disappointed at first hearing. After hearing Bird´n Diz from Birdland and Massey Hall, this is a lesser exiting thing and the choice of Buddy Rich on dr is typical for Granz. It should have been Max or Roy Haynes. 

And those strange album designs on those old Verve records and those short liner notes that don´t really come from musical understanding "Thelonious Monk is a lesser light in modern jazz, but nevertheless an important one" arghhh....

On 6/14/2023 at 12:42 AM, John Tapscott said:

Primary

When I was a teenager, this was on my wishlist but not available in my country. I found only a copy of the BN "Empty Foxhole" and of the  Impulse "Crisis" and later the earliest Prime Time with that red cover and that coloured egg. When I finally got "Shape of Jazz" it sounded very conservative to me. But "Lonely Woman" was a favourite of my mother. She had two jazz things she liked very much : "Lonely Woman", and Mingus´ "Meditations on Integration". Many years in my youth when she came up into my appartment she would say "spin Meditations". 

10 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-888993533.jpeg

Wow, such a great record. When I was a kid, this ..... as many BN in the early and mid 70´s was OOP or not available in my countries. One of my early mentors, the famous Fritz Novotny (austrian Freejazz Pioneer since 1959, founder and leader of the "Reform Art Unit" -short "RAU" borrowed it to me for making a tape, to learn that stuff, together with "Old and New Gospels". He was pleased that I dug Jackie and that "I´m in the right direction".....

17 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

The Brian Setzer Orchestra – The Dirty Boogie

R-2603128-1436827918-4778.jpg.52a5b72817be5c1ad989e14f197a018b.jpg

I hated this record at the time. I still hate it, but I'm surprised at how differently. There's a forgotten naivity to this garbage which I do slightly miss

I had no idea that exists, luckily by the sounds of things

I saw The Stray Cats live when they first appeared, one of the best live bands I've seen

2 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I had no idea that exists, luckily by the sounds of things

I saw The Stray Cats live when they first appeared, one of the best live bands I've seen

Stray Cats are alright be me. 

This is like the Stray Cats but worse and with some Glenn Miller trappings. It comes out as ska punk does Louis Jordan, ineptly and leadenly.

It is weird to think of it ever having been accepted, and accepted as something in some way alternative. The 1990s is a vanished world in that sense.

3 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

This is like the Stray Cats but worse and with some Glenn Miller trappings. It comes out as ska punk does Louis Jordan, ineptly and leadenly.

It is weird to think of it ever having been accepted, and accepted as something in some way alternative. The 1990s is a vanished world in that sense.

That sounds so bad I'm almost tempted to stream it

24 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Yeah, it’s interesting to look back and see all the various hybrid experimentation going on back then. I suspect the US’ telecom bill in ‘96 was the catalyst behind the start of large scale homogenization. 

1 minute ago, Dub Modal said:

Yeah, it’s interesting to look back and see all the various hybrid experimentation going on back then. I suspect the US’ telecom bill in ‘96 was the catalyst behind the start of large scale homogenization. 

What's the bill and its influence? Just that it made communication easier, and was followed by the internet?

I think there was also something about how the era's snarky innocence was so different to the current, equally naive and snarky, zeitgeist.

25 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

That sounds so bad I'm almost tempted to stream it

Give it a go. Proustian rush, but the smell of rubbish instead of Madelaines. Chase it with some Brand New Heavies (unfair to the BNHs, who are much better).

Just now, Rabshakeh said:

What's the bill and its influence? Just that it made communication easier, and was followed by the internet?

I think there was also something about how the era's snarky innocence was so different to the current, equally naive and snarky, zeitgeist.

The bill opened up radio station ownership so that large conglomerates could control multiple stations. That set the standard for the market and they played only what sold (and could skillfully hide payola schemes) so experimentation was sunset in favor of cashing in. 

Now on:

Pretty Purdie – Soul Drums

R-636562-1287577166.jpg

Now on:

Pretty Purdie – Soul Drums

2 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

The bill opened up radio station ownership so that large conglomerates could control multiple stations. That set the standard for the market and they played only what sold (and could skillfully hide payola schemes) so experimentation was sunset in favor of cashing in. 

Oh. I see.

I don't know if I agree. I remember the mid 90s as a bit of a cultural wasteland. Certainly less homogenised.

2 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Oh. I see.

I don't know if I agree. I remember the mid 90s as a bit of a cultural wasteland. Certainly less homogenised.