• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

th-676168492.jpeg

Is there ANY way to get paid that this dude didn't get to? 

1 hour ago, John Tapscott said:

I hadn't thought of it as terrifying really, but the cover from the stereo re-make (recorded some 6 years later) seems more comforting somehow.  

419WHJH3Q1L._AC_.jpg

Everybody like to imagine that all endings are happy, right? 

5 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

I hadn't thought of it as terrifying really, but the cover from the stereo re-make (recorded some 6 years later) seems more comforting somehow.  

419WHJH3Q1L._AC_.jpg

The change is kind of like when Liberty revised the cover art on the first three Chipmunks LPs.  They looked like real chipmunks at first, and they were scary with BIG TEETH - the universal indicator that a cartoon character is dangerous.  But they were replaced with the cute, non-aggressive Chipmunks that we all know and love.

So that first June Christy cover is like the scary early Chipmunks, and the color replacement is like the cute cartoon Chipmunks.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

OC5qcGVn.jpeg

Bought this obscure disc because it was cheap, but it proved to be a sleeper and I really like it. Mix of piano trio and quintet (w. tenor, trumpet). Straight-ahead, he's obviously influenced by Bill Evans but for whatever reason it all works for me.

14 hours ago, felser said:

I always enjoy any of the iterations of this cooperative and the Mingus Dynasty.  Saw the Mingus Dynasty live once at the Painted Bride Art Center when they had Jack Walrath, Joshua Redman, John Hicks, Michael Formanek, Alex Foster (forget the others) and it was an outstanding show.

Mingus Big Band - Live in Tokyo at the Blue Note Album Reviews, Songs &  More | AllMusic

Since I saw Mingus live 2 times I didn´t have too much desire to see the "Dynasties" after his death, which was a terrible blow to me. 

The problem over the years was that they lost players who really HAD played with Mingus. Jack Walrath of course knows Mingus´ music more than many other Mingus Alumni and was the trumpet player who was with Mingus when I heard him. I think I was most impressed by his fantastic latin solo on Cumbia, or his boppish attack on "Three or Four Shades of the Blues". 

Wait a minute......I really SAW a Mingus Ghost Band one time. It was conducted by Jimmy Knepper and had former Mingus members like George Adams and John Handy , really ! So I was looking forward hearing that edition, but it was a sad and week thing. Jimmy Knepper, former one of the hottest guys on trombone, just conducted and did it in a completly vacant and indifferent manner, many of us laughed at his "conducting" which anyway was not necessary because you can play that music without a conductor. 
George Adams seemed to have lost all his fire, it is possible that it was not long before he died. John Handy was better. The drummer was a good one whom I had heard many times, but he is not a Mingus drummer . Danny Richmond was still alive then but he was not in that band. 

6 hours ago, rostasi said:

Of course the music was not to my liking, I can´t enjoy anything else then jazz (well maybe some old shlagers or maybe an opereta or a ballett) and this was always the same monotonous thing. 

But I liked to look at the audience. Reminded me of a similar country in pre 1989. You think they are poor but they have pride and they are neatly dressed and I like to see them, women look like women, and men look like men......

More of that ! Not for the music, but for seeing the folks....

6 hours ago, rostasi said:

this is one of the funniest things I ever saw. From what country is that, Pakistan ? India ? 
It´s like a parody for our eyes and ears, all those extremly serious expressions on that tune that seems to attract mostly non jazz listeners (I heard so often non jazzers say they don´t like "jazz" but they like "Take Five". 

All them fiddles lookin the same way and fiddlin´ with the same movements, like if it was not individual players but on thing with dozens of arms and feet and heads 😄

Again, I think the "conductor" is only for the show because I doubt you have to "conduct Take Five" 😄

35 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Ha, unlike @Gheorghe I dig this. Maybe the entire string section isn’t necessary but the sitar, guitar and tablas look to be played by guys with chops.  Thanks for posting it 

I completely love this, and there is nothing wrong with the string section.  I wonder if they have records.