• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Chick Corea “Return to Forever” ECM LP

My original LP of this bought when it was a fresh recording. LOVE THIS MUSIC SO MUCH. The LP is a little beat, but it’s like a time portable for me.

02e88a385b6398338962e6fd52fc7b868f2f387a

From the most popular early electric "jazz-rock" formations of the ex-Milesmen Chick Corea (RTF) and Herbie Hancock (Headhunters) I think I liked them both, but I dug Headhunters more at that time. The nonplusultra Chick Corea fans were other folks then that the Hancock-folks. I think the Chick Corea fans I got to know had a more philosophical thing goin on like "Why do I live" and "How can I become a better human being" while we Hancock-fans were more "earthbound" . But both were great. It was also that the ECM buyers were other folks than the CBS, BN and Prestige-buyers. 

I must admit it took me decades to dig again into Chick Coreas music, when my wife chose the newer 2000´s thing featuring Jean Luc Ponty as a winterholidays present for me. I was always delighted about such surprises, which pulled my coat into other directions, like when I got "Jimmy Giuffree trio in Graz" or "Stan Kenton live 1972" , things that until then were holes in my discography. 

Strange that I missed to see Chick Corea live with one exception when he sat in with the Miles Davis band. I´m still pissed off that I missed the larger RTF-world tour band in 78 with Dave Liebman in it. Didn´t even find a record of that stuff......

12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

61M204gqBZL._UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

I like this one.  It's sorta Jimmy Giuffre-like in its folksy quietness. 

and

NC04ODc3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Cumbia was one of my favourite things then, This was the times when somebody like Mingus was alive and you could find him on all European festival gigs each year. 
I practically witnessed the live version of the touring band since they played that almost 25 minutes long version of it with his steady quintet (Walrath, Ford, Neloms, Danny) and THEN the record still wasn´t on the market. But Mingus announced it as "Something we just recorded, it´s from a Movie Score". 
I think I remember the large band studio recording was a bit slower than the live version, but also the live version had all them subtitles, first the drum settin the groove, then that call and response thing with the ostinato bass, then the straight ahead passages and the Db two beat based "Mingus Rap" where he snarls "Who said Mama´s li´l baby likes shortin´ bread ?" and the strong tutti sections after that and that incredible bass solo up into the highest possible register of the bass. Wonderful, and livelong memory from the teenage days.....

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

From the most popular early electric "jazz-rock" formations of the ex-Milesmen Chick Corea (RTF) and Herbie Hancock (Headhunters) I think I liked them both, but I dug Headhunters more at that time. The nonplusultra Chick Corea fans were other folks then that the Hancock-folks. I think the Chick Corea fans I got to know had a more philosophical thing goin on like "Why do I live" and "How can I become a better human being" while we Hancock-fans were more "earthbound" . But both were great. It was also that the ECM buyers were other folks than the CBS, BN and Prestige-buyers. 

I must admit it took me decades to dig again into Chick Coreas music, when my wife chose the newer 2000´s thing featuring Jean Luc Ponty as a winterholidays present for me. I was always delighted about such surprises, which pulled my coat into other directions, like when I got "Jimmy Giuffree trio in Graz" or "Stan Kenton live 1972" , things that until then were holes in my discography. 

Strange that I missed to see Chick Corea live with one exception when he sat in with the Miles Davis band. I´m still pissed off that I missed the larger RTF-world tour band in 78 with Dave Liebman in it. Didn´t even find a record of that stuff......

Cumbia was one of my favourite things then, This was the times when somebody like Mingus was alive and you could find him on all European festival gigs each year. 
I practically witnessed the live version of the touring band since they played that almost 25 minutes long version of it with his steady quintet (Walrath, Ford, Neloms, Danny) and THEN the record still wasn´t on the market. But Mingus announced it as "Something we just recorded, it´s from a Movie Score". 
I think I remember the large band studio recording was a bit slower than the live version, but also the live version had all them subtitles, first the drum settin the groove, then that call and response thing with the ostinato bass, then the straight ahead passages and the Db two beat based "Mingus Rap" where he snarls "Who said Mama´s li´l baby likes shortin´ bread ?" and the strong tutti sections after that and that incredible bass solo up into the highest possible register of the bass. Wonderful, and livelong memory from the teenage days.....

I got into Chick via Filles de Kilimanjaro and MIles Davis at Fillmore. I preferred his fusion work to Herbie's but I like Herbie's as well. Ponty does very little for me, never has.

24 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

I like the idea of opposing sides: Chick, Herbie or ECM.  

I certainly knew ECM only fans as a youth, but that was the 1990s and by then ECM was a different beast altogether.

The high noon of ECM was also in the late 70´s . 

"We" were that gang that listened to more hard driving or hard funky stuff, Bird Diz Monk, Messengers from the oldies, VSOP from neo bop acoustic, Electric Miles and Ornette´s Prime Time, and there was another group, more the first "alternative thinking" folks with more medidation or so, who loved only ECM, Jan Garbarek, Eberhard Weber and so on. This was two different worlds. 

1 minute ago, Gheorghe said:

The high noon of ECM was also in the late 70´s . 

"We" were that gang that listened to more hard driving or hard funky stuff, Bird Diz Monk, Messengers from the oldies, VSOP from neo bop acoustic, Electric Miles and Ornette´s Prime Time, and there was another group, more the first "alternative thinking" folks with more medidation or so, who loved only ECM, Jan Garbarek, Eberhard Weber and so on. This was two different worlds. 

685full-west-side-story-screenshot.jpg.95a2c65621c9c5c9edec7553dbf4830d.jpg

“The Jackie Paris Sound” Atlantic/Collector’s Choice cd

This century I discovered the joy of Jackie Paris recordings and this is a good one.

02048cb73a6a4fd5aac9351781fd5dfee78b55d8

Bass – Joe Benjamin, Wendell Marshall
Drums – Bill Clark, Ed Shaughnessy
Guitar – Barry Galbraith
Piano – John James
Tenor Saxophone – Ed Wasserman