Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Jonny Teupen – HarpadelicR-1496703-1285087947.jpg.4640ccbdb1aa68fcfba5d5803ea13ad5.jpg

On first stream of this, I assumed it was some modern Dorothy Ashby retro thing, executed well. I was surprised to find it is actually an MPS production from 1969 made with Dave Pike's set. The Beatles cover at the start should have alerted me, because no BandCamp spiritual jazz has Beatles covers.

👍

Jonny Teupen back (Copy).jpg

8 hours ago, jazzcorner said:

😁 :D

Great series of the Netherlands Metropole Orchestra

42718972ze.jpg

46220325rv.jpg

46220331wg.jpg

I have those plus several others, including the Andy Martin and the Bill Perkins; maybe a couple more.  The Konitz is one of my favorites (and among the best in the series IMHO).

Now:

image.jpeg.0e3acfc15bd3e65f8be1f1b23dab1c3e.jpeg

17 hours ago, HutchFan said:

NzktNTkyNi5qcGVn.jpeg

👍

10 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Bill Watrous Combo With Danny Stiles – 'Bone Straight Ahead

R-2772948-1583002207-8614.jpg

w. Al Cohn on several tracks 👍

9 hours ago, Niko said:

OS01NzA4LmpwZWc.jpeg

👍 Great player. 

18 hours ago, Niko said:

ODAtNDc4MC5qcGVn.jpeg

I only read the name once, when I was very very young when I had that America LP "Saturday Night Jazz Session" which I had bought for Fats Navarro and Roy Eldridge (I had hoped that they play together), and this Ralph Burns plays a very very strange piano solo as first soloist on that tune "High on an Open Mike" . It is a strange "solo", doesn´t really swing and then there are such block chord burst outs where you won´t expect it. If you had heard only Bud, Horace, Garland, Herbie, McCoy, Cecil and so on that really sounded strange and as a kid I didn´t know if it is "hip" or "corny" or both of it. 

By the way for you german speakin guy: At that time I still tried to "understand" the meanings of the titels. With the help of the "Langenscheidt Englischwörterbuch" I translated "High on an Open Mike" as "Hoch auf einem offenen Michael". 

Funny story w the open mike ... Also thought of those early days of learning English again when there was this discussion of the Queen compilation for five year olds and the explicit lyrics... Had never thought of that problem because over here kids don't understand anything when they're small... In fact, being able to understand some of the lyrics is a major motivation for learning English....

have some Ralph Burns albums from the 1950s that I like a lot so I was first disappointed that on this album he only arranges while the rhythm section is Oscar Peterson, Ray Brown and Louis Bellson... But, of course, they do a fine job... The whole thing is - again unexpected when you read Peterson - a big band album with soloists like Roy Eldridge, Jimmy Hamilton, Flip Philips... Would have paid the 2€ for the cover alone but now I find myself playing this more than I expected

Anthony Braxton – Quartet (Standards) 2020

R-20046394-1630424153-5275.jpg.9c53443fe7c8da86e6d531f215481c6f.jpg

Something's bitten me recently and I have found myself going through several large box sets of standards by major artists, despite really hating the format. 

Revisiting this for the first time since lockdown. Has anyone else gone back to it yet?

I really think it is towards the top of Braxton's more recent output. I normally blow tepid on most of Braxton's standards records. In particular, I think that the previous 12 CD splurge on Leo (which I have also revisited this August) was one of the weakest things he has done. This set is seems much stronger overall. That is partly because the band is stronger (not least our very own Alexander Hawkins) but I also think Braxton's own playing is more inventive here.