Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jim Hall “Where Would I Be?” Milestone/OJC cd

Airto! I love it when Airto is on the drumkit.

And Hall always has such a rich guitar tone. It’s the type I dream of when I have a guitar in hand.

504979b5020c244356de7b72204c403e148946d4

2f293a4056a6571c0cca02090d63f1dd9970dd89
Jim Hall - guitar
Benny Aronov - piano, electric piano
Malcolm Cecil - bass
Airto Moreira - drums, percussion

38 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

There are dozens of cds available on discogs. . . .

Yeah, they are kinda pricey though.  I have a Japanese issue of The Procrastinator, which includes the later sessions on some releases of Sonic Boom, so I only need the first session with David Newman and Harold Mabern, around 37 minutes.  I am thinking of getting a download.  Presto has cd quality for $8.50.   I'm retired and have somewhat limited resources, necessitating that I be a bit of a cheapass now...

The session with Newman is quite nice and there are a couple spots where Morgan's trumpet work is really marvelous.

Edited by Stompin at the Savoy

7 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

This "time machine" taking me back to the first or second time I heard Von Freeman in person.

MC01NTM3LmpwZWc.jpeg

I have the CD version from that memorial concert for quite some time.

45061100hd.jpg

14 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Primary

undefined

Excellent! :D 👍

Edited by jazzcorner

On 10/13/2023 at 12:13 PM, bresna said:

Where we differ here is that I love the boogaloo stuff. While "Soul Station" is my favorite Mobley date, his boogaloo dates would come out way in front of his late 50s hardbop dates, which are a bit repetitive. In particular, I rarely spin his two Prestige dates as I find them bordering on boring.

In my case, the boogaloo stuff doesn´t really exite me. It´s the Mobley on medium, fast tempo and ballads where I really can get inspirations what what I have learned. 
And yeah, the Prestige dates are not so exiting. With one exception: Those where he not the leader like "Tenor Conclave" and one that I think was led by Elmo Hope, which also has two tenors if I remember right. 

14 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Primary

Primary

undefined

Though I think, "Three or Four Shades of the Blues" is a bit overproduced, it has a special meaning to me, since those Mingus albums came out when he was still alive and touring. Both "Three of Four..." and "Cumbia". 

I heard the title tunes done by the last Mingus group just before the albums came out. But then, it was just played with his working band, without all those guitars like on "Three or Four Shades of the Blues" or the etnic flutes, oboe and bassoon on "Cumbia". Both pieces in the live versions were faster and more exiting. I remember that Mingus announced them as tunes they just had recorded" and was eagerly waiting to find them finally in the record store. 

I never did understand why they needed to replace Bob Neloms with Jimmy Rowles just for those few bars of that little square piano solo waltz. On the live performance I saw, Neloms played it himself, he was a very good piano player and replacing him for those few bars seems to me like an insult of his person.

7 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

This "time machine" taking me back to the first or second time I heard Von Freeman in person.

MC01NTM3LmpwZWc.jpeg

Wonderful.

When was this made ? 

I have only one "Charlie Parker Memorial Concert" from March 1965 which is not necessarly the best but quite interesting since it also features elder statesmen like Roy Eldrige and Coleman Hawkins, but that kind of fugue like piano playing of Billy Taylor on two blues tunes gets a bit on my nerves. On that night there was also a Bud Powell solo performance which is not on the record, I think it was published on an ESP album (Bud´s last album). 

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

When was this made ? 

I have only one "Charlie Parker Memorial Concert" from March 1965 which is not necessarly the best but quite interesting since it also features elder statesmen like Roy Eldrige and Coleman Hawkins, but that kind of fugue like piano playing of Billy Taylor on two blues tunes gets a bit on my nerves. On that night there was also a Bud Powell solo performance which is not on the record, I think it was published on an ESP album (Bud´s last album). 

1970... it's a crazy lineup w Kenny Dorham, Dexter Gordon, Howard McGhee, Lee Konitz and many Chicago musicians

https://www.discogs.com/release/4811344-Various-Charlie-Parker-Memorial-Concert