So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

I like Wilson but haven't heard that one, any good?

I just streamed it for the first time.  ;)  But I really enjoyed it!

Hard to go wrong with Wilson, I think.  He's such a joyous spirit.  Also, Monty Waters (as, ss) and Ryo Kawasaki (g) are excellent in support.

• Replies 79.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, John Tapscott said:

Funny thing is that in the liner notes to the box set, Laurie puts down these Stitt/ Pepper sessions, especially the first one. I think they're both very good and very enjoyable.

Well I have that  Hollywood Allstar Session box too  (Stitt on disc 3 & 4) beside my other Atlas series Items. All I can say and do agree there are no weak recordings in that modern West Coast series.

If Laurie sees it different you know "de gustibus non est disputandum".

The tracks on Atlas LA27-1004 "Groovin'n High" are the same as in the 5 CD. box .

My copy has a different front picture and  has only 6 tracks. Sound quality is excellent on both.

46528340ho.jpg

Edited by jazzcorner
more text

25 minutes ago, jazzcorner said:

Well I have that  Hollywood Allstar Session box too  (Stitt on disc 3 & 4) beside my other Atlas series Items. All I can say and do agree there are no weak recordings in that modern West Coast series.

If Laurie sees it different you know "de gustibus non est disputandum".

The tracks on Atlas LA27-1004 "Groovin'n High" are the same as in the 5 CD. box .

My copy has a different front picture and  has only 6 tracks. Sound quality is excellent on both.

46528340ho.jpg

On this Atlas Blues set, 6 tracks are listed on the vinyl album and in the discography, but only 4 tracks are on the CD in the box set.

NS01MzI0LmpwZWc.jpeg

Now:

Primary

Edited by John Tapscott

2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I just streamed it for the first time.  ;)  But I really enjoyed it!

Hard to go wrong with Wilson, I think.  He's such a joyous spirit.  Also, Monty Waters (as, ss) and Ryo Kawasaki (g) are excellent in support.

Thanks, I'll find a stream

13 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

Primary

When was this recorded ? 

I remember I had the first encounter with Sonny Stitt in the midseventies, when he played a vintage set of bop with Diz (I don´t remember the others, it was a classic bop quintet, but maybe with guitar instead of piano). 

And my impression was, Dizzy great as ever, but the big surprise was also Sonny Stitt, whose name I hadn´t heard until then. Compared to Diz, he looked like a very very old man and I thought that must be someone who had known Bird, but must be much older (Bird would have been about 55 years at that time and Stitt looked much older than 55 though he was 7 years younger than Diz !) That´s what this foto tells me. 

I saw Stitt the last time in 1980 but though he still managed to play some good tenor and alto, he was dead drunk and after some good tunes it became tragic comic and we left the concert and the after hour jam session with a bitter taste. 

I´m not familiar with West Coast players though I have heard Pepper with the drummer Carl Burnett, who is great.