• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Did you sit through all of this?

I'm working around the house, so I'm not sitting. These albums were a huge part of my childhood, and I still love them.  They are very funny, and the arrangements are nice.  Jazz fans may like "Hang Up Your Stocking," which pairs nicely with Kay Starr's "The Man with the Bag."

17 minutes ago, felser said:

Picked up a bunch of Black Jazz titles from the Real Gone annual sale.  Already had them all in older CD versions, but glad for the upgrades.

image.jpeg.20e2d4698e4deca3c1f3448cb88aeb80.jpeg

I have many of these on vinyl, but I bought most of the CDs in the recent sale, except for the label proprietor's two albums, which I don't care for.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

10 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

51Oe9BZIi9L._UX250_FMwebp_QL85_.jpg.webp

😁 👍

A big band I like very much for years. Here in the stock:

CD    Barone,Mike    Live At Donte`s - The Mike Barone Bigband    1968    V.S.O.P.
CD    Barone,Mike    Class of ' 68    1968-69    Rhubarb Recordings
CD    Barone,Mike    Live 2005! Mike Barone Bigband    2005    Rhubarb Recordings
CD    Barone,Mike    Mike Barone Bigband - Metropole    2006    Rhubarb Records
CD    Barone,Mike    By Request - Mike Barone Bigband    2007    Rhubarb Records
     Barone-Burghard    Maiden Switzerland (feat. Sal Nistico)    1976    Discovery

Edited by jazzcorner
more infos

On 12/8/2023 at 4:54 PM, HutchFan said:

LTI1ODMuanBlZw.jpeg

Again with some of my very special favourites. Didn´t know about it, the only thing I have is "Red Clay", as it seems this must be something similar. Well, I´m not really a great guitar fan or George Benson fan, but sure, and with Henderson, Hancock, Ron, Jack DeJohnette, what could be wrong ? 

On 12/8/2023 at 7:41 PM, soulpope said:

R-10132043-1492185245-1386.jpg

Outstanding Rhythm Section (too) ....

Oh, must be a good thing. 

"On a Misty Night"  has a special meaning to me. First I had heard it on the Tadd Dameron-John Coltrane album, then I heard it live done by Pharoah Sanders, and this year when we did "Porgy" , Allan who is famous for spontanously calling tunes, called it just before the second set. I had to check the chords from the bridge in my mind, but yeah, it was beautiful and sometimes I look and listen to the stream they had made, and say yes, often the best tunes the best solos are on stuff you hadn´t played yet. 

23 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

image.jpeg.19abbb7b459347c2b653318adb99e5fb.jpeg

I have not listened to it for decades, but we often play one or the other tune from it, I think "Mayreeh" (based on All God´s Chillun got Rhythm"  and that other tune based on "Lover Come Back to me" I forgot the title. And Quicksilver based on "There will never be another you". It seems that at that early stage of Horace ´s career he still was a typical be bop composer, who composed on chords from standard tunes.....