• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got this from my wife for my birthday on december 14th, 2 days ago. 

Again, she picked up somethin ´  from names she heard thru me. Dizzy of course, ableit Diz is not so dominant on this album. 

The first tune is wrong titled as "Birk´s Works" but actually it is Bird´s "Quasimodo" and Diz is not playin. It´s a battle between Jackie McLean and Phil Woods, but also very fine Stan Getz. 

The ballads "Warm Valley" and "Old Folks" are wonderful. Max drum features of course, Cherokee again with those great saxophonists.

Maybe I would have expected more from "Con Alma", it´s only trumpet with piano in a rubato style. How much I love to play that tune with a fine quintet, I just can´t think about that tune without drums. 

Percy Heath has a wonderful feature on "Yardbird Suite". I like his sound also on the fast tunes. It´s very boppish, not them long notes, it´s more percussive style like Curley Russell would have done it, really fitting to the fast bop numbers......

Download.jpg

2 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

From your description it´s no wonder I didn´t have no idea who it is. Never got in touch with "smooth jazz" . 

Eric Gale actually made some nice recordings with Quincy Jones in a (slightly) more straight-ahead style. 'Smackwater Jack' has an 'evolution of jazz guitar' thing/suite (called 'Guitar Blues Odyssey I think) where he covers most of the stylistic bases.

Edited by sidewinder

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Again, she picked up somethin ´  from names she heard thru me. Dizzy of course, ableit Diz is not so dominant on this album. 

The first tune is wrong titled as "Birk´s Works" but actually it is Bird´s "Quasimodo" and Diz is not playin. It´s a battle between Jackie McLean and Phil Woods, but also very fine Stan Getz. 

The ballads "Warm Valley" and "Old Folks" are wonderful. Max drum features of course, Cherokee again with those great saxophonists.

Maybe I would have expected more from "Con Alma", it´s only trumpet with piano in a rubato style. How much I love to play that tune with a fine quintet, I just can´t think about that tune without drums. 

Percy Heath has a wonderful feature on "Yardbird Suite". I like his sound also on the fast tunes. It´s very boppish, not them long notes, it´s more percussive style like Curley Russell would have done it, really fitting to the fast bop numbers......

Download.jpg

👍

Happy birthday belatedly ...

IMG_20231216_0001 (Copy).jpg

22 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

A bit disappointing after all the rave comments on the John Patton thread.

th-1589894252.jpeg

really? I remember picking up mine at a record show, a guy had a box of JRVGs for, I think, $15 a piece. I had to go find an ATM to supplement what cash I had brought with me.  Its an absolute classic of the style as far as I am concerned.

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Download.jpg

Belated birthday wishes from me, too! 

I like to call that Bass playing concept a "rubber band sound". Better for Cubop as well.

Edited by mikeweil