So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

Eureka Brass Band – New Orleans Funeral & Parade

R-8358277-1460047488-7575.jpg.9f8a6d27410e6f6599fbf8a84fe87766.jpg

1 hour ago, jazzcorner said:

Its good mainstream jazz. I do agree that Bauer & Fishkin are rather found with Lennie Tristano thaan here in such a mainstream oriented group.

The liner notes by Barry Ulanov decribe Powell as a new & fresh player on the scene but no comments about the selected musicians.

Thanks

• Replies 79.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Attila Zoller – Memories Of Pannonia

R-377152-1301385490.jpg.d7fd96c14938235adcb3f1bf3affaffa.jpg

I sometimes struggle with Enja because I don't like the house production style, which, to my ears, is as strong as that of the more notorious, but very different, "ECM sound". This is rare record on Enja where I think the production style does work in the music's favour. 

Edited by Rabshakeh

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Binker And Moses – Dem Ones

R-9984666-1665705476-5699.jpg.7f17f2fa819d6ae487383384a2cc7def.jpg

Felt like a big moment at the time.

From being everywhere Moses seems to have slipped from the spotlight for a while now whilst his contemporaries make the waves. Perhaps he's working in something new.

Sold on my copy of the album recently, kept three later ones

12 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

From being everywhere Moses seems to have slipped from the spotlight for a while now whilst his contemporaries make the waves. Perhaps he's working in something new.

Sold on my copy of the album recently, kept three later ones

I was thinking exactly that! Five years ago I saw him as the leader and heart of the scene. He seems to have moved away a bit. I still think he’s very talented - with a real feel for polyrhythms beyond his peers (and many of his elders). Listening to this brought that back. 

I think my favourite of theirs is Journey to the Mountain. I’m not sure whether any of them was ever a really top class record.  But they all have moments. 

Now on:

Fred Wesley – Full Circle (From Be Bop To Hip Hop)

IMG_0369.jpeg.dc6b2c65dd3b4ca9809c93e31ece98d8.jpeg

The sub-title chills the blood but this is full of great bits.

71i8G+Wl8nL._UF600,600_QL80_.jpg

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

I sometimes struggle with Enja because I don't like the house production style, which, to my ears, is as strong as that of the more notorious, but very different, "ECM sound". This is rare record on Enja where I think the production style does work in the music's favour. 

Very interesting, Rab.  I'm curious: What aspects of Enja's house production style do you find to be problematic?

5 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Very interesting, Rab.  I'm curious: What aspects of Enja's house production style do you find to be problematic?

I find it has a dry style with very prominent bass.

Whatever it is, it really doesn't sit well with me. Which is a shame, because it's right in the chronological sweet spot for me, and it has a great catalogue of musicians. I'm aware that this is a minority view.

Erroll Garner – Solitaire

R-2277221-1298670253.jpg.54c731a4fdf2986bad4b21f52e016ec6.jpg

29 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Whatever it is, it really doesn't sit well with me. Which is a shame, because it's right in the chronological sweet spot for me, and it has a great catalogue of musicians. I'm aware that this is a minority view.

That's really interesting, I've never thought about this but I've not many Enjas in a collection that really should have far more given the chronology and when I started buying/listening.  There's few I've ever warmed to (whilst I have hundreds of ECMs), off the top of my head Sakata, Tolliver, Gary Thomas and a Woody Shaw.  Count me intrigued.

4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

That's really interesting, I've never thought about this but I've not many Enjas in a collection that really should have far more given the chronology and when I started buying/listening.  There's few I've ever warmed to (whilst I have hundreds of ECMs), off the top of my head Sakata, Tolliver, Gary Thomas and a Woody Shaw.  Count me intrigued.

We all have our own tastes. But for me, given the quality of ingredients and cooking, Enja is probably one of the worst contenders of all record labels. It took me a while to identify that it was probably the label's production values.

Edited by Rabshakeh

With only some limited exceptions, my preference is for there to be a piano or guitar on horn albums. The harmonic addition ( along with the piano or guitar solos) greatly enriches the music for me.

So this is not among my favorite Joe Henderson recordings.

I do realize that many here hold a different opinion.

th-1257993564.jpeg

NzYtODIyNS5qcGVn.jpeg

7 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Fair enough!