• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

What a cover!

I'm currently listening to The Declaration of Musical Independence (ECM, 2016) by the Andrew Cyrille Quartet, starring Bill Frisell, Richard Teitelbaum and Ben Street.

image.jpeg

I'm pretty disappointed by it. The combination of Bill Frisell and Richard Teitelbaum got me really excited, but to my ears it is just a noodley ECM reverbfest. 

I love that album!

12 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I love that album!

I was kinda in-between...heard the playing in there, and kinda wanted more of....something else? The ECM-ness maybe nade it sound at once better and worse than it actually was...Frissell….I don't know what happened to him? Maybe nothing, maybe it's me? But I used to get a sense of edge from him that is pretty much gone now...again, maybe it's me.

6 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

iu.jpeg

That title tune has always been one of my favorite "sub-standards" -- a song which has been recorded by a few different performers over the years, but perhaps not enough to become a true "standard".  Billie Holiday's recording of it may be the best known.  It has a charming melody and I really like  the lyrics:

If you pass me by
Three hearts will break in two
'Cause me, myself and I
Are all in love with you

For better or worse, like that they don't write 'em no more.

52 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I love that album!

JSngry pretty much summarised my thoughts. I think I was expecting 90s Frisell with 70s Teitelbaum with late 70s / early 80s Andrew Cyrille drumming and writing the material. I got very excited at that prospect. It wasn't that. Perhaps it needs another listen.

Edited by Rabshakeh