So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

JSngry

38 minutes ago, BillF said:

Nice to see a younger player chosen. I see her a lot on YouTube, though her style might be a little too postbop for my decidedly conservative tastes. ;)

Now playing:

81s1PsRue3L._SS500_.jpg

I like Brew Moore. Even if he was not among the most famous and successful musicians, though he was strongly influenced by Prez, he could hold his own on bop sessions with really fast company as Bird, Miles, Fats, McGhee, J.J. Johnson, Bud, Max Roach, Blakey Machito. His solos on the AfroCubop sessions (Spotlite Label UK) and "Miles Davis-Last Bop Session 1950) are fantastic, as his Steeplechase recordings from the mid sixties in Denmark. 

He really had an unique manner to hold his horn, that was also influenced by Prez.

• Replies 79.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/24/2022 at 5:34 AM, Rabshakeh said:

Jan Garbarek - Eventyr (ECM, 1981)Eventyr.jpg

Now that the 90s/00s and ECM's era of commercial dominance with associated lifestyle associations is long gone, I've been checking out Jan Garbarek a bit more. I'm finding that some I like whereas others I don't, of which latter category this is probably an example. Garbarek just seems to play through the other musicians as if he can't hear them. That's something that other musicians do without necessarily grating (Ornette Coleman, for example) but here it gets to me.

Interesting. I don’t have that one but thought it would be decent since Nana is on it. 

WP/NP:

OTQtODQzNy5qcGVn.jpeg

OS04NzI1LmpwZWc.jpeg

New group for me. The Strata record caught my attention and was perfect listening for Sunday afternoon evening. Of All the Things went perfect with Monday AM. 

Edited by Dub Modal

19 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

"The Sun Ra Arkestra Meets Salah Ragab In Egypt" Strut cd

CS868470-01A-BIG.jpg

Just got that one myself. Wonderful, at times "magical" music!

34 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Interesting. I don’t have that one but thought it would be decent since Nana is on it. 

WP/NP:

OTQtODQzNy5qcGVn.jpeg

OS04NzI1LmpwZWc.jpeg

New group for me. The Strata record caught my attention and was perfect listening for Sunday afternoon evening. Of All the Things went perfect with Monday AM. 

Jazzanova has a really deep catalog, so don't stop here!

Charles Mingus/Hampton Hawes/Dannie Richmond "Trio" Jubilee/Atlantic 2 cd deluxe set released Friday 4/22.

Listening to disc 2, which has unreleased and alternate material.

CD 2: Outtakes (previously unreleased)

1. Untitled Blues
  2. Untitled Blues (Take 2)
  3. Back Home Blues (Take 6)
  4. Hamp's New Blues (Take 4)
  5. I Can't Get Started (Take 1)
  6. Yesterdays (Take 2 - Incomplete)
  7. Dizzy Moods (Take 2)
  8. Summertime (Take 3)

Charles-Mingus-Mingus-Trio-Lim-Edition.j

Ben Webster, Buck Clayton And The Henri Chaix Quartet – Ben And Buck (Sackville, 1967)

R-14390645-1573569191-7446.jpg

Nice one from Switzerland.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I like how Rob Brown digs in and has the skills to keep digging. And is Warren Smith still going strong? He is, right? almost 82!

I don't know Rob Brown. Where would you start?

5 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

This was my first exposure to Rob Brown and I still rate it

OC03MjEyLmpwZWc.jpeg

But his recordings with William Parker aren't to be missed and O'Neal's Porch is a standout amongst them, I agree

yeah, that one is great. I believe I was exposed to him through William's music or that of Matt Shipp, back in the late 90s. 

Saw a duo with Juan Pablo Carletti (d) several years ago that was truly incredible, very much in the direction of Lyons but with a highly individual and razor sharp language all his own. Also, there was a great Whit Dickey band with Rob, Karen Borca, Michael Bisio, and Jackson Krall that was bananas -- there is a concert on YouTube worth watching. It was intended to be released on CD but there were issues with the audio recording I guess (video/audio seems fine and it was amazing to witness live).