Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

d02d87144a70fe7f9102a45d8bc5129de1ddc76a

Charles Bell and the Contemporary Jazz Quartet “Another Dimension” Atlantic/Warner Jazz Japan cd

I’m listening to a cd copy of one of the first LPs I ever owned. I still have my (mono) LP.

Edited by jazzbo

14 hours ago, sidewinder said:

61+o5jn4ZeL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Mi02NjQ0LmpwZWc.jpeg

One important thing about the McCoy Tyner Quartets: 

As on my question in the "Artists" Forum about a certain Joe Zawinul tune I once had asked you all about a certain McCoy Tyner tune I had heard McCoy play live when I saw him in spring 1980 (sextet with saxophone, a violin player etc.) and you led me to the tune "The Seeker" which is here on the tunes with Bobby Hutcherson. 

I love them all. Maybe I have some difficulties with the John Abercrombie thing, it´s not "earthy" enough for me and that "electric mandoline" sounds funny to me.

But the Freddie Hubbard stuff is wonderful, as is Bobby Hutcherson and wonderful Arthur Blythe. 

And with Al Foster on drums that´s always a guarantee for me that the music will be right.

11 hours ago, Simon8 said:

ab67616d0000b273b6b5d7a2e77e7dd39250b3c0

I have not spinned it for a long time. As I remember Duke Jordon sounds much better on piano than on earlier recordings. The personnel is great, only I would have preferred another saxophonist than Stanley Turrentine, I´m not such a big fan of his sound and phrasing. I mean, with Dizzy Reece I would have combined let´s say Hank Mobley....

11 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

51Qv8uXZ4ML._UX250_FMwebp_QL85_.jpg.webp

I love all his Big Band stuff. I think Dizzy left the band quite early to form his own band, and was replaced by Fats Navarro soon. 
I have the "Spotlight" live stuff, the Savoy Double album "Mr. B. and the Band" and another Savoy "Billy Eckstine Sings" (which has lesser instrumentals, but still tracks with the real band).