Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

More above-par early-1960s Bud. My appreciation for this period has only deepened as I’ve gotten older:

7-BudPowell.jpg

I don´t have this one, but it looks very similar to the 5 Steeplechase LP´s of "Golden Circle" with the same personnel. I remember those "Golden Circle" tracks left me with mixed feelings, since it´s a bad tuned piano, and the bassist and drummer seemed to be too much in awe of playing with Bud. If Bud want´s to give them some solo space they are very reluctant. 
To work as a single with local rhythm sections if they don´t really know the music can be a drag and it seems that in Stockholm Bud was quite "trapped" in that situation. Maybe this explains a certain monotony in the program. Too many long extended 12 bar tunes (Blues in the Closet, Straight No Chaser, Relaxin´ at Camarillo, etc.). 

I think I have heard the Oslo tracks too at someone´s place, it´s very similar to the swedish tracks, but maybe the piano is better tuned.....

1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

51mmag7oe2L._AC_.jpg

Interesting ! I knew "The Quota" from a Red Garland LP on which Jimmy Heath is playing. Some guy had it, it must have been in the 70´s, we knew Garland from those early Miles LPs. I like Jimmy Heath´s compositions. That´s how I remember him best. It´s interesting there are quite a few saxophone players whom I associate more as composers, like Jimmy Heath, Gigi Grice, Benny Golson. I don´t think so much about their playing, I think there tunes....

13 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Interesting ! I knew "The Quota" from a Red Garland LP on which Jimmy Heath is playing. Some guy had it, it must have been in the 70´s, we knew Garland from those early Miles LPs. I like Jimmy Heath´s compositions. That´s how I remember him best. It´s interesting there are quite a few saxophone players whom I associate more as composers, like Jimmy Heath, Gigi Grice, Benny Golson. I don´t think so much about their playing, I think there tunes....

Thanks to BillF, once again, for this CD. Heath had a great talent for small band arranging which sounds much bigger than it is - shrewd use of players such as Julius Watkins. Without exception, his albums swing like crazy too. All of the Riversides by him are good and he certainly belongs with Grice, Golson etc. in that pantheon.

Heath’s tunes were also popular with British hard boppers in the 1960s, rightly so.

That Garland LP is on MPS, as I recall. Don’t have it but do have ‘Auf Wiedersehen’.

More Jimmy..

71FfYYDV69L._AC_SX355_.jpg

Edited by sidewinder

32 minutes ago, optatio said:

Jimmy Heath Quintet (Copy).jpg

On the trail, that´s a nice blowing vehicle. I also have it played by Wynton Kelly, with George Coleman on tenor.

But my favourite version is Jackie McLean at Montmatre. I love his sound so much. The tune doesn´t have many chords, so you anyway get a bit more a "modal" feeling into it.