• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now playing:

LTQxOTkuanBlZw.jpeg

Keith Tippett's Ark – Frames: Music for an Imaginary Film (Ogun, 1978)
Very strange & interesting.  Some of the shimmering, maximalist passages make me think of Ligeti -- music that evokes a vivid sense of the uncanny and surreal.

Edited by HutchFan

10 hours ago, HutchFan said:

OS02MDg5LmpwZWc.jpeg

In 1970, Freddie recorded both Red Clay and Straight Life.  Two stone-cold classics.

Red Clay was on of the MUST HAVE albums in our teenage jazz "gang" . Such a wonderful album ! This one, some VSOP Quintet, some Milestone album like new Rollins albums, McCoy Tyner albums, and of course the electric jazz albums like all of Miles in the 70´s, Herbie´s Headhunters and RTF. 

We especially liked the live version of Red Clay on one of the VSOP albums. 

7 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Now playing:

LTQxOTkuanBlZw.jpeg

Keith Tippett's Ark – Frames: Music for an Imaginary Film (Ogun, 1978)
Very strange & interesting.  Some of the shimmering, maximalist passages make me think of Ligeti -- music that evokes a vivid sense of the uncanny and surreal.

I would have been sure that this is something very very similar like "Aghartha". Almost same cover art. I´m not famililar with Keith Tippett´s work, but always was a freak of electric Miles. Wasn´t Ligeti a modern classic composer from Hungary ? I´m not so familiar with classical music, but I think I heard some once and dug it and thought it might fit to Miles Davis (I think on "Get Up with it" is something similar to Ligeti, that has Miles on organ). 

10 hours ago, jazzbo said:

s-l640.jpg

Followed by

Morning Star / Carnegie Hall / The Chicago Theme

What is that "In Concert" up there ? From the musicians, is it something similar to VSOP ? I never had heard about that record

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

What is that "In Concert" up there ? From the musicians, is it something similar to VSOP ? I never had heard about that record

I'm not sure of all the particulars, there were two releases, pulled from a series of concerts in Detroit and Chicago. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Hubbard/Stanley_Turrentine_in_Concert_Volume_One

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Concert_Volume_Two_(Freddie_Hubbard_%26_Stanley_Turrentine_album)

11 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Walter Bishop, Jr. "Bish at the Bank: Live in Baltimore" Reel to Real 2 cd set, disc 2

20230220_3e66d8.jpg

Curious what you think, Lon. I listened in the car last night on the way to and from a dinner engagement, and gave it thumbs up. It sounds to me like if Vick is going for "Coltrane" it's not Coltrane 1966, it's like Coltrane 1959-61 or maybe a tiny bit later.

I like it. And your comments on the sound may reassure @felser that he shouldn't steer clear due to the source.

I like it too Dan. I agree, Vick is going for an Atlantic/early Impulse type of Trane sound I think (I mean I think he really is moving in that direction/influence). I'm enjoying the long stretching tunes and Bish's playing. 

Sonically my one complaint would be that I would like the bass to be a bit more audible when not in trio context. Otherwise. . .it sounds quite normally like a Left Bank recording which I rarely have issue with, and the mastering may have a bit more care than the previous releases under Dorn supervision.

9 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

easier to file in this package

51pfhY3HihL.jpg

Yep.

I put the discs from that set in regular jewel cases, so they're accessible on my CD shelves for that very reason. ;) 

8 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

I would have been sure that this is something very very similar like "Aghartha". Almost same cover art.

Funny you mention the cover's similarity to Agharta. I thought the same, Gheorghe.

21 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

the mastering may have a bit more care than the previous releases under Dorn supervision.

Good, thanks, I thought the Dorn mastering on the 32Jazz Left Bank material was fairly atrocious.   Walton, Getz, Hubbard, Stitt come immediately to mind.  Not sure if I have any other Left Bank 32Jazz material.  That whole label was a mess in some ways, from the reimagined cover art (especially "The Moontrane", but lots of others.  Muse did some great album covers until they decided half-naked women was the way to go) to the anthology track selection (anthologies aren't a good modern jazz idea anyways, and to make a Carlos Garnett Muse anthology be only 40 minutes, and burn 1/3 of that on "Taurus Woman"?  Really?).  Yet they did things like reissue "The Free Slave" which were amazing.