• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/13/2023 at 1:52 PM, jazzbo said:

image.jpeg.0349fafcc9c89b09bf240830d349a4b5.jpeg

This is Bird and Chet Baker, isn´t it ? 

I think I heard that CD somewhere. Baker seems to have been a very very shy man, his looking down reveals it. Bird, even if he still was in his early 30´s looks like an old master, very heavy. His appearance seems to be contrary to the hip fast shit he played. 
When I was a kid and all those guys were my heroes like maybe a pop singer would have been for a teenage girl, photos of jazz artists were very very rare, at least in my countries. I always thought that Bird, or also Bud might be very nervous, thin guys who if not playing their fast stuff loose their body index due to looking for the next shot. There was a very small back cover photo on my "Savoy Mastertakes" and a painted cover of Bud on the brown Verve Double LP. 
But the first photo I saw of Bud was the cover photo from the first Victor LP where he looks very very heavy so that you can´t even see his neck, and I think there was that Bird foto from Massey where he looks fat and at least 15 years older than the oldiest member (Dizzy Gillespie). 

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

This is Bird and Chet Baker, isn´t it ? 

I think I heard that CD somewhere. Baker seems to have been a very very shy man, his looking down reveals it. Bird, even if he still was in his early 30´s looks like an old master, very heavy. His appearance seems to be contrary to the hip fast shit he played. 
When I was a kid and all those guys were my heroes like maybe a pop singer would have been for a teenage girl, photos of jazz artists were very very rare, at least in my countries. I always thought that Bird, or also Bud might be very nervous, thin guys who if not playing their fast stuff loose their body index due to looking for the next shot. There was a very small back cover photo on my "Savoy Mastertakes" and a painted cover of Bud on the brown Verve Double LP. 
But the first photo I saw of Bud was the cover photo from the first Victor LP where he looks very very heavy so that you can´t even see his neck, and I think there was that Bird foto from Massey where he looks fat and at least 15 years older than the oldiest member (Dizzy Gillespie). 

Yes, this is Bird and Chet. I wouldn't read too much into Chet looking down--to me in this photo he is answering a question about his tie to Bird, or looking at a spot on his tie etc. 

Edited by jazzbo

15 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Leo Parker

WPARKL05w_Leo-Parker-watermarked.jpg

Wow, I think the only foto of Leo Parker I ever saw is on one of the two albums he made for BN. There are two of them and he plays so great ! Only I never understood why they picked up so obscure sidemen, such a music should have Kenny Drew, Paul Chambers and Art Blakey ! 

This is a great photo. So sad that he died only within short time from those recordings. I had read that they had planned a session of Leo with Dex, which would have been fantastic, a re-union . 
He looks so fine you couldn´t believe this man was dead a few weeks/months later. I never knew anything about his live other than that he was super active in the bop years, like Dexter, and also like Dexter the 50´s seemed to be some lean years for him.