Blue Note's TONE POET series.

Dmitry

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I mean the music. It just seems earthbound and static.

Mileages vary, of course. 

Yes, that's another way to put it.  The overtly funky records with Idris M backing Lou, Grant, etc. are fine with me and the Donald Byrd albums before the Mizel bros. are at least interesting.  But by the mid-70s a lot of stuff in different genres had gotten mired down, IMHO.  There are lots of things outside of hard bop orthodoxy that I dig.  But even the 'funky' records on BN in the '90s work better than most of the mid-70s New Note stuff, IMHO, YMMV, etc.

On 10/12/2022 at 11:27 AM, Dan Gould said:

Methinks the music is entirely above them but sizzle and mic blowouts, they hear that shit right quick.

(And RVG doesn't stop the take or ask for another on a mic explosion?)

Some of them seem to focus on the trees without seeing the forest. 

I’ve opted for a copy of the Kenny Burrell, which should be with me on Tuesday. Decent deal on Amazon UK at the moment. Also gone for the Blue Train stereo masters on vinyl whilst it is readily available. Having heard on CD, they have done an outstanding job with this one.

Edited by sidewinder

On 12/10/2022 at 5:06 PM, dougcrates said:

I listened to the Kenny Burrell again this morning.  I'm not an audiophile but it sounds good to me.   Perhaps some listeners didn't like being told to "Get Happy".

Given my copy a spin through both sides and no distortion noted - sounding good to me. Will do a re-check tomorrow but so far, no issues found.

• 3 weeks later...

According to some people on the Hoffman board. These titles are already confirmed for the coming year.

1. Chet Baker – Chet Baker Sings and Plays
  2. Donald Byrd – Slow Drag
  3. Sonny Clark Trio – Sonny Clark Trio
  4. Lou Donaldson – Midnight Creeper
  5. Andrew Hill – Dance with Death
  6. Carmell Jones - The Remarkable Carmell Jones
  7. Jackie McLean – Demon's Dance
  8. Hank Mobley – Caddy for Daddy
  9. Lee Morgan – Infinity
  10. Herbie Nichols Trio – Herbie Nichols Trio
  11. Wayne Shorter – Shizophrenia
  12. Wayne Shorter – Odyssey of Iska
  13. Stanley Turrentine – Mr. Natural
  14. McCoy Tyner – Extensions
  15. McCoy Tyner – Time for Tyner
  16. Jack Wilson – Easterly Winds

I know most of the music and own quite a few. Nevertheless I'll surely pick up the Andrew Hill, the Jackie McLean, Sonny Clark and Tyner's TIme for Tyner. I'll skip the Wilson, the Turrentine, Mobley, Donaldson and Byrd. The rest I'll have to give a spin first again :)

Thanks for posting that. There will be orgasms galore on the Hoff Board. 😂

It’s a good list. I’ll be picking up ‘Slow Drag’ and ‘Demon’s Dance’ for sure. For the rest I have either good originals or Japanese reissues so more debatable. ‘Mr Natural’ I have on the Stanley T. Mosaic box on CD and I think I might also have it on a ‘Jazz File’ vinyl.

Will likely go for ‘Midnight Creeper’ as well, although I think I have it on CD (somewhere).

Edited by sidewinder

I can see a few in there that interest me. Jack Wilson's "Easterly Winds" is one I'd like to hear done right. But as is usual, I will wait until they come out to make sure I don't buy a bad cut.

I was surprised the other day when I watched a video interview of Joe Harley and he said that Kevin Gray was the same age as he was. Joe is 72. I thought Gray was much younger than that.

8 hours ago, BFrank said:

My friend Mazzy (who posts on a lot of vinyl topics and hosts discussions) got to speak for an hour with Joe Harley recently.

You might like this conversation 

I like Mazzy. I enjoy his videos. He’s my go to guy on the Beatles. 

13 hours ago, Brad said:

I like Mazzy. I enjoy his videos. He’s my go to guy on the Beatles. 

Cool! He has quite a following. And celebrating his 1,000th video tomorrow with a live YouTube conversation.

He's one of my oldest friends. We were roommates in college.

On 11/7/2022 at 9:16 AM, bresna said:

I can see a few in there that interest me. Jack Wilson's "Easterly Winds" is one I'd like to hear done right. But as is usual, I will wait until they come out to make sure I don't buy a bad cut.

I was surprised the other day when I watched a video interview of Joe Harley and he said that Kevin Gray was the same age as he was. Joe is 72. I thought Gray was much younger than that.

I'm 70. Kevin Gray is 68.

1 hour ago, bresna said:

Blue Note finally got around to re-pressing "Introducing Kenny Burrell". This is an amazing-sounding record. If you are a fan of the music and you have a turntable, you should pick up a copy of this Tone Poet LP. The music has never sounded better.

Kenny Burrell - Introducing Kenny Burrell LP (Tone Poet Series)

Completely agree, one of my favourite TPs 

• 1 month later...

One of the latest Tone Poet releases was Chet Baker & Art Pepper's "Picture of Heath", from the Pacific Jazz catalog. A lot of people are having difficulties playing side 2 due to it being cut very hot. Sound familiar? There were enough complaints that Blue Note felt that they had to respond. They posted this to their Facebook page:

“We’re aware of the complaints about the Tone Poet Vinyl Edition of Chet Baker & Art Pepper “Picture of Heath” from some customers who are experiencing skipping on side two, while for most it plays fine. We’ve looked into it and have determined there is no defect with the pressing. It is however a very dynamic recording and Joe Harley & Kevin Gray don’t use any limiting or compression in their mastering approach. That can expose the need for some adjustments to be made with particular turntable set-ups. For instance, we’ve found that customers who adjusted their tracking force and anti-skate (even slightly reducing both), and made sure their turntable is level, no longer had playback issues. We hope this helps!”
So basically, if you have problems playing this... Blue Note doesn't care. Why should they care if you have played thousands of records fine? If you can't play this record, it's your fault, not theirs. That's really great news for those customers who can't play it.
I'm glad I bought the Pure Pleasure LP of this title a few years ago.

1 hour ago, bresna said:

One of the latest Tone Poet releases was Chet Baker & Art Pepper's "Picture of Heath", from the Pacific Jazz catalog. A lot of people are having difficulties playing side 2 due to it being cut very hot. Sound familiar? There were enough complaints that Blue Note felt that they had to respond. They posted this to their Facebook page:

“We’re aware of the complaints about the Tone Poet Vinyl Edition of Chet Baker & Art Pepper “Picture of Heath” from some customers who are experiencing skipping on side two, while for most it plays fine. We’ve looked into it and have determined there is no defect with the pressing. It is however a very dynamic recording and Joe Harley & Kevin Gray don’t use any limiting or compression in their mastering approach. That can expose the need for some adjustments to be made with particular turntable set-ups. For instance, we’ve found that customers who adjusted their tracking force and anti-skate (even slightly reducing both), and made sure their turntable is level, no longer had playback issues. We hope this helps!”
So basically, if you have problems playing this... Blue Note doesn't care. Why should they care if you have played thousands of records fine? If you can't play this record, it's your fault, not theirs. That's really great news for those customers who can't play it.
I'm glad I bought the Pure Pleasure LP of this title a few years ago.

That’s completely effed up. Glad I have the cd. Too bad that instead of talking about a great recording, people are left with a sour experience.