What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

EKE BBB

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

If it was Valerie Carter, she was the pits, as was the equally forgettable funk band backing her. When I was going to rock shows, rarely did I care for the opening acts. 

Many (all?) opening acts back then were often hampered by having to use the headliners sound system. A lot of them never even get a sound check. I can't tell you the number of times an opening act sounded terrible up on stage. I can remember at least a couple of bands apologizing for their sound because of it.

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Many (all?) opening acts back then were often hampered by having to use the headliners sound system. A lot of them never even get a sound check. I can't tell you the number of times an opening act sounded terrible up on stage. I can remember at least a couple of bands apologizing for their sound because of it.

I think it had to more with what they were playing, not like the sound technicians didn't make adjustments during their set. They stunk all on their own.

21 hours ago, soulpope said:

Yep .... for me it belongs to the pantheon of "live" albums independently of genre....

That works!

13 hours ago, soulpope said:

ab67616d0000b273082fb191d07d4a2386068a6d

Steel Pulse "Handsworth Revolution" (Island Records) 1978 .... superb debut LP .... made possible by Burning Spear for whom they performed as opening act in the later 70`s ....

Another good one

Koerner, Ray & Glover – Blues, Rags And Hollers

R-2756115-1299617324.jpg

20 hours ago, soulpope said:

Steel Pulse "Handsworth Revolution" (Island Records) 1978 .... superb debut LP .... made possible by Burning Spear for whom they performed as opening act in the later 70`s ....

One of my favourites. The second side in particular.

On 5/18/2024 at 3:34 PM, soulpope said:

Bought it on release, saw them live at the time. Terrific album and band.

Mykaell Riley co-curator of the British Library's 'Beyond the Bassline' exhibition 

https://blogs.bl.uk/sound-and-vision/2024/04/beyond-the-bassline-500-years-of-black-british-music.html

5 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Koerner, Ray & Glover – Blues, Rags And Hollers

R-2756115-1299617324.jpg

Never heard of that album until today when I've come across it twice. Here and here

https://open.substack.com/pub/sunra/p/michael-cuscuna-part-1?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android&r=1tklsf

34 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Mykaell Riley co-curator of the British Library's 'Beyond the Bassline' exhibition 

https://blogs.bl.uk/sound-and-vision/2024/04/beyond-the-bassline-500-years-of-black-british-music.html

Thnx for sharing .... obviously I'm full of envy 😇😎 ....

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Never heard of that album until today when I've come across it twice. Here and here

https://open.substack.com/pub/sunra/p/michael-cuscuna-part-1?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android&r=1tklsf

I mean. There is a reason I was listening to it.

39 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

It took some time to appreciate later Martyn, post One World, but now I really enjoy them

You'll have to explain the secret to me some time.  I lost heart with 'One World', and never regained it.  'Bless The Weather', 'Solid Air', and 'Inside Out' was a staggering run of albums in the early 70's, and I love 'Live at Leeds',  also enjoy the early folkie albums and 'Sunday's Child'.

2 hours ago, felser said:

You'll have to explain the secret to me some time.  I lost heart with 'One World', and never regained it.  'Bless The Weather', 'Solid Air', and 'Inside Out' was a staggering run of albums in the early 70's, and I love 'Live at Leeds',  also enjoy the early folkie albums and 'Sunday's Child'.

I think the secret for me was to not compare to the others you mention, all of which are favourites. I found myself listening to them almost as if they weren't John Martyn albums and therefore not freighted with the attendant expectations. I also think that the bands and arrangements can sound very of their time, and therefore dated, but again I tried, and largely succeeded in hearing them with fresh ears.

I'm not sure how much sense this even makes and it was achieved after 30 years of largely disregarding them. Perhaps that distance helped.

'One World' was my entry point, and played endlessly at the time so always sat on the right side of the divide for me.

On 5/21/2024 at 8:15 AM, soulpope said:

Worth hearing how soulful bassplayer Gerry Jemmott holds this together ....

He was the greatest, IMHO, and spelled himself Jerry 😉

Edited by mikeweil