Favorite Hank Mobley 1950's record

Hardbopjazz

Which is your favorite Hank record from the 50's  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For the 50 stuff, I have to go with Peckin' Time. What a great line up with Lee Morgan, Wynto Kelly, Paul Chamber and Charlie Persip. This session swings. I was listening to it tonight and taped my foot all the way through it.

Second would be the Hank Mobley Quintet, Horace Silver Art Blakey, Art Farmer and Doug Wakins.

I voted for Peckin' Time also, but I just finished listening to the Mosaic box all the way through for the first time, and I gotta say that quintet session with Farmer is a SWEET one. What was it about Farmer that seemed to make everything he was involved with in this period so much better? I'm thinking specifically about the Curtis Fuller/Farmer Blue Note session, which is probably my favorite on the Fuller Mosaic box.

Must pick up more Farmer...

Hey folks! Buy that Fifities Mobley Mosaic to be able to vote here!

I mean, when the set came out, I was like: why the hell do they a fifties and not a sixties set. Then I bought it nevertheless, and I rate that stuff as high as I do what Mobley recorded in the sixties. Big surprise it was for me, but a very very pleasant one!

ubu

Which one has "Mighty Moe and Joe" on it?  I don't have my albums at hand right now, this ain't fair!

"Mighty Moe & Joe" is on Hank Mobley (Blue Note 1568), with Bill Hardman (trumpet), Curtis Porter (alto and tenor saxophone), Sonny Clark (piano), Paul Chambers (bass), and Art Taylor (drums).

Edited by J.A.W.

A close call, but I'll go with Curtain Call. Mobes and Dorham with Sonny Clark George Joyner & Art Taylor - does it get any better than that? Amazing that this went unreleased until the Japanese lp came out! The sextet session (with Mighty Moe & Joe) is the other standout session from this group of Mobley lps IMHO. B)

I like Cafe Bohemia date with Blakey very much!

:tup

Lon, I only have the Savoy where Mobley is on half of the cuts, and the Prestige disc having both Prestige albums save one tune - but that stuff is great!

Also, Tenor Conclave is a marvel!

The Johnny Griffin album with Trane in, too, is another good one!

ubu

I voted for the quartet 10" LP - the tunes and his improvisation on them are so hip, adding a new dimension to Charlie Parker's innovations.

Wish they would have coupled that with the All Stars album with Milt Jackson for a Connoisseur or RVG - they would make a nice combination!

Edited by mikeweil

For me, he never did it any better (just different) than the first one, QUARTET. One fantastic album that layed it all out - the distinctive tone, wonderful writing skills, the great choice of musical companions - it's all here, as it would be throughout his long tenure at BN. Maybe his greatest ballad writing and playing ever too in "My Sin."

This is really a hard choice - almost impossible, for me! We had a friend over for dinner yesterday, and I played discs 1-3 of the Mosaic, and there are so many great things on them! Very consistent at a very high level, Mobley and his fellow musicians are. The quartet date is great, truly great. Then the album with Byrd and Morgan is very good, too (though I would not vote for that one), the All Stars with Bags is great, as is the quartet date with Art Farmer!

Will have to listen to the other ones. I love the one with Shafi Hadi a lot, too. The one with Jenkins might be out of contest (Jenkins being the main reason).

ubu