Capitol Records is 80 Years Old Today!

Teasing the Korean

Feb. 7, 1942, Paramount Pictures' head of production, Buddy DeSylva, wrote a $15,000 check for Johnny Mercer and Glenn Wallichs to start Capitol.  

Happy 80th Birthday Capitol!  You had a hell of run, at least for the first 30 years or so.  

Posting in the Artists section because of Capitol's unbelievable roster in the 1940s and 50s.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Shrdlu said:

They certainly did have a good run.

Nat Cole was, of course, their biggest seller. Their famous building, the Capitol Tower, was known as "The House That Nat Built".

Their 1940s-60s roster was incredible:

• Sinatra
  • Dino
  • Nat
  • Jo Stafford
  • Pied Pipers
  • Johnny Mercer
  • Peggy Lee
  • Duke
  • Stan Kenton
  • Cannonball
  • Louis & Kelly
  • Howard Roberts
  • Nancy Wilson
  • George Shearing
  • Jackie Gleason
  • Nancy Wilson
  • June Christy
  • Yma Sumac
  • Thee Great Les Baxter

49 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I thnk it was the other way around?

Correct.  EMI bought a controlling share of Capitol sometime around 1955.  This led to Capitol's massive and impressive "Capitol of the World" series, which must have been the first time that a US label devoted a substantial amount of plastic to what would later be called "world music."

21 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Feb. 7, 1942, Paramount Pictures' head of production, Buddy DeSylva, wrote a $15,000 check for Johnny Mercer and Glenn Wallichs to start Capitol.  

Happy 80th Birthday Capitol!  You had a hell of run, at least for the first 30 years or so.  

Posting in the Artists section because of Capitol's unbelievable roster in the 1940s and 50s.

Wasn't Buddy DeSylva a songwriter?  And though he has executive producer credits at Paramount I don't think he was ever head of production.  (That may be a mistranslation on his Wikipedia page which is in French!)

Edited by medjuck

GRAND FUNK RAILROAD!!!!!

The band that single-handedly and forevermore turned me off of "Rock"  What a precedent-setting mountainous pile of rancid dogshit.

Fitting that they were on the same label (in America) as the group that got me into it in a big way less than a decade before - The Hollyridge Strings!!!!! :g

12 minutes ago, JSngry said:

GRAND FUNK RAILROAD!!!!!

The band that single-handedly and forevermore turned me off of "Rock"  What a precedent-setting mountainous pile of rancid dogshit.

Produced by the guy who released

SOMETHING/ ANYTHING

which just turned

50!

Edited by Teasing the Korean

47 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Produced by the guy who released

SOMETHING/ ANYTHING

which just turned

50!

Yeah, too little too late. Same thing with Zappa doing them.

In real time, I noticed a small but noticeable decrease in musicality from, say, Cream to Zep, and by the time Grand Funk came out of the musical rectum, the kids were NOT all right, the kids were more than willing to swallow that turd whole, over and over again.

I moved on with no regrets - and with no hesitancy. One of the better life choices I've made (not that there were all that many...).