OJC Question - LPs and CDs

Teasing the Korean

In the 1990s, I picked up the vinyl OJC reissue of Mongo Santamaria's Yambu, which has one of the greatest album covers of all time.

It doesn't appear that this was reissued on CD.  (Correct me if I am wrong.)

This has me wondering: Were there significant numbers of OJC LP reissues that did not make it to CD?

Definitely not significant, no. Actually this may be the first instance of this I've seen. In a back of the envelope sense, there were a few hundred or less OJC LPs and many hundreds, if not thousands, of OJC CDs, plus the many later twofer/compilation CDs that cleaned up a lot of the remainder of the Prestige, Fantasy, and Riverside catalogs in particular (there are 2 or 3 of these covering Mongo Santamaria). 

34 minutes ago, JSngry said:

NS05NjMxLmpwZWc.jpeg

OC0zOTkzLmpwZWc.jpeg

Has "Lover" been restored to circulation somehow? Or is this still its only issue?

It seems that "Lover" was added to that Prestige LP version from the original Swingville track list of 5 and this possibly has not been reconstructed as an official OJC or Concord release since. Fresh Sound included it with the Swingville material on this 2 cd reissue: https://www.discogs.com/release/10550435-Coleman-Hawkins-Tommy-Flanagan-Coleman-Hawkins-Tommy-Flanagan

Edited by jazzbo

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

One tune omitted: https://www.discogs.com/release/4091980-Mongo-Santamaria-Afro-Roots

The files seem available online as MP3 on amazon, on last.fm etc.

Ah, I have been forgetting about 70s twofers that got reissued as CDs.  This was a missed opportunity.  The cover art of Yambu is at least half of the attraction.  

That seems to be the case.

Fantasy made the same mistake with other compilations CDs, just to save a few bucks in royalties and avoid two CD sets.

One of the biggest disasters is the Jaki Byard Prestige compilation Solo/With Strings!, which intermingles tracks from the two separate LPs, ruining the listening experience, plus dropping "Hello, Young Lovers" from the Solo LP. 

Edited by Ken Dryden

10 minutes ago, bresna said:

I think there are a few that didn't make it to CD. Didn't we used to have a list of them somewhere around here? I don't think this Red Rodney LP was ever issued on CD... even in Japan:

MC05ODM4LmpwZWc.jpeg

That one, yeah.

also, I don't think that this one made even OJC LP, much less CD:

Ny01NTU2LmpwZWc.jpeg

nor this one:

OS03MjE3LmpwZWc.jpeg

nor this either:

Mi05Mzk4LmpwZWc.jpeg

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

I've never ever heard this one:

Never made it to OJC LP or CD, correct?

But I think that Jorgie Hoglowls has put them out in some issue.

So, there are still gaps.

Yep.  Concord should let him run their reissues.  He knows what he's doing:

New Jazz Frontiers From Washington + Young Ideas (2 LP on 1 CD)