Jerry Lee Lewis has died

sonnymax

it is, apparently, an unpopular opinion, but I never particularly liked his rock and roll singing.

However I think he is one of the greatest country/country and western singers ever. He just squeezed the sentimentality out of every one of these songs that he sang. Miraculous (and the son of a bitch is burning in hell even as I write this).

1 hour ago, AllenLowe said:

it is, apparently, an unpopular opinion, but I never particularly liked his rock and roll singing.

However I think he is one of the greatest country/country and western singers ever. He just squeezed the sentimentality out of every one of these songs that he sang. Miraculous (and the son of a bitch is burning in hell even as I write this).

Yes, he would be an important figure in American music even if he never did Rock and Roll.   His Rock and Roll records could be a lot of fun but I also prefer the Country albums.  They are timeless.  

RIP Killer.    

18 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

Confirmed by how seamlessly his Sun recordings were repackaged and marketed for Country sales way back in the 60s and 70s and did not sound out of place one bit but in fact added a special touch - like you describe it. So in the end it doesn't matter if you listen to his recordings as rockabilly or country- they do fit in each time because he always (well, almost always) was himself.

And somehow I can even understand that fan author who (back in the late 70s) wrote in a R'n'R/roots music fanzine here "I'd gladly shell out for a 10-LP box set of Jerry Lee brushing his teeth."

RIP - Time to read "Hellfire" by Nick Tosches again, I guess ...

19 hours ago, AllenLowe said:

He just squeezed the sentimentality out of every one of these songs that he sang. Miraculous 

I saw him perform after a nearer than usual death experience some 40 years ago-confronting death, man and God on stage at the fairgrounds here in Memphis.  It was a much heavier experience than the average attendee likely anticipated! That's how I will remember him.

• 1 month later...