Previously unreleased Benny Carter (and others including Dizzy)

medjuck

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Interesting! Thanks for posting.

At first I read it as "Betty Carter" and got really excited. I'd love to have a lot more Betty Carter to listen to.

Coincidentally, I recently bought a Carmen McRae/Betty Carter album that I thought was a McRae/Benny Carter album. :)  It ended up being a happy accident.

13 hours ago, mjzee said:

Turns out Amazon has all 8 volumes - do a search on Amazon for benny carter Princeton concerts.  $8.99 a volume.  Unfortunately, no discographical info provided.

Thanks for discovering this ... I understood it to be streaming only so knowing that all can be had as downloads is good to know. 

14 hours ago, mjzee said:

Turns out Amazon has all 8 volumes - do a search on Amazon for benny carter Princeton concerts.  $8.99 a volume.  Unfortunately, no discographical info provided.

But the story on the National Jazz Museum of Harlem webpage is clear, "Mrs. Hilma Carter has made a gift of this music to the National Jazz Museum in Harlem to support their mission of preserving, promoting, and presenting jazz. It is her wish that the music be made available free of charge, and the museum is placing it across the world’s most popular streaming services."

So why $8.99 & who is getting that $8.99?

And before I am asked, I get why a label has to charge for physical product, but as noted, Amazon is selling a download. This would seem to fit closely with "streaming". The playing of a stream uses no more data than a download - probably less in fact.

2 hours ago, bresna said:

So why $8.99 & who is getting that $8.99?

The copyright on the Amazon pages says "℗© 2022 National Jazz Museum in Harlem".  But you can also stream them, assuming you have an Amazon Music subscription.

I'm wary of buying these downloads because I bought 3 downloads of Savory tapes from Apple, only to subsequently see Mosaic release their box set.  Perhaps these 8 Benny Carter dates will also eventually come out as a Mosaic box?

15 minutes ago, mjzee said:

The copyright on the Amazon pages says "℗© 2022 National Jazz Museum in Harlem".  But you can also stream them, assuming you have an Amazon Music subscription.

I'm wary of buying these downloads because I bought 3 downloads of Savory tapes from Apple, only to subsequently see Mosaic release their box set.  Perhaps these 8 Benny Carter dates will also eventually come out as a Mosaic box?

At $9 per I am not going to sweat that possibility. If anything, should that happen, I'd probably just try to buy a copy of the Mosaic booklet then.

17 minutes ago, mjzee said:

But again, requiring a paid subscription goes against the wishes of the Carter family.

And I do have Amazon Prime Music, but on November 1st, they rendered that service pretty much useless when they removed the ability to stream specific tunes, only allowing for a "random" playback. A few days ago, I clicked on a Joe Chambers tune from his Horace Silver tribute CD and got a tune from a gospel singer.

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

I have streamed /downloaded all 8 volumes of this Benny Carter material from Apple Music. Does anyone have the personnel information?  I checked LORD, and was unable to find it.

Considering how fresh it is I wouldn't expect it on Lord. I actually thought that you could figure out from the shows because there would be a track that would include stage announcements.

I can try to reach Loren and get him to give details. I'll let the board know.

7 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Considering how fresh it is I wouldn't expect it on Lord. I actually thought that you could figure out from the shows because there would be a track that would include stage announcements.

I can try to reach Loren and get him to give details. I'll let the board know.

I haven't listened to any of the Vol's yet. You may be right that stage announcements would provide personnel information. If as I listen the personnel information is referred to, I will pass it on here.

Loren referred me to "videos" and the best I can do from youtube is this:

(from the announcement there is a Dizzy, a Sweets and a Barry Harris that are unknown for the moment)

Volume 1:

Benny Carter, alto saxophone Hank Jones, piano Milt Hinton, bass Ronnie Zito, drums

Volume 2:

Benny Carter, alto saxophone Clark Terry, trumpet/flugel Horn Hank Jones, piano Bucky Pizzarelli, guitar Milt Hinton, bass Grady Tate, drums

Volume 3:

Benny Carter: Alto Saxophone Trumpets: Jon Faddis, Joe Newman, Victor Paz, Ernie Royal Trombones: Eddie Bert, Dickie Harris, Quentin Jackson, Jimmy Knepper Alto Saxophones: George Dorsey, Jerry Dodgion (+flute) Tenor Saxophones: Budd Johnson, Billy Mitchell Baritone Saxophone: George Barrow Piano: Roland Hanna Guitar: Wally Richardson Bass: Major Holley Drums: Mousie Alexander Vocal: Hale Smith Percussion: Ray Barretto

Volume 4:

Benny Carter, alto saxophone Joe Newman, trumpet Sir Roland Hanna, piano Bucky Pizzarelli, guitar Richard Davis, bass Richie Pratt, drums

Volume 5:

Benny Carter, alto saxophone Dizzy Gillespie, trumpet Barry Harris, piano Stanley Jordan, guitar Joe Kennedy, violin Larry Ridley, bass Yusef Ali, drums

Volume 6:

Benny Carter, alto saxophone Harry “Sweets” Edison, trumpet Derek Smith, piano George Duvivier, bass Ronnie Bedford, drums

Volume 7:

Benny Carter, alto saxophone Chris Neville, piano Steve LaSpina, bass Jackie Williams, drums

Volume 8:

Benny Carter featuring Al Tinney, Lou Hackney, and Jerry McClam.

Edited by Dan Gould
Edited to add volume 5 info

12 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

(from the announcement there is a Dizzy, a Sweets and a Barry Harris that are unknown for the moment)

Volume 1:

Benny Carter, alto saxophone Hank Jones, piano Milt Hinton, bass Ronnie Zito, drums

Volume 2:

Benny Carter, alto saxophone Clark Terry, trumpet/flugel Horn Hank Jones, piano Bucky Pizzarelli, guitar Milt Hinton, bass Grady Tate, drums

Volume 3:

Benny Carter: Alto Saxophone Trumpets: Jon Faddis, Joe Newman, Victor Paz, Ernie Royal Trombones: Eddie Bert, Dickie Harris, Quentin Jackson, Jimmy Knepper Alto Saxophones: George Dorsey, Jerry Dodgion (+flute) Tenor Saxophones: Budd Johnson, Billy Mitchell Baritone Saxophone: George Barrow Piano: Roland Hanna Guitar: Wally Richardson Bass: Major Holley Drums: Mousie Alexander Vocal: Hale Smith Percussion: Ray Barretto

Volume 4:

Benny Carter, alto saxophone Joe Newman, trumpet Sir Roland Hanna, piano Bucky Pizzarelli, guitar Richard Davis, bass Richie Pratt, drums

Volume 8:

Thanks Dan, I appreciate you following up on this question.

36 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

Thanks Dan, I appreciate you following up on this question.

No problem ... and Loren advises that he will be uploading other tracks to youtube from the remaining volumes, so if we keep an eye on the Harlem Jazz Museum page we'll get the details on the rest in short order.

https://www.youtube.com/@NationalJazzMuseuminHarlem

16 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Volume 1:

Volume 2:

Volume 3:

Volume 4:

Volume 8:

Al Tinney!  I didn't expect him to pop up here.