BFT 227

mikeweil

Hi my friends, the bazar is open! Nothing too sophisticated this time, no real theme except that it is a collection of tracks that have grown on me over the years, some rarities, and some that I thought would make great Blindfold Test items. As is the custom here, guesses are nice, but I am more interested in what you think about the music. Enjoy! Thanks for listening!

https://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got some new headphones so perfect time to break them in:

1 - Beautifully played tune. Recorded within the last decade maybe? The guitar and piano together are basically ear candy. No guesses. 

2 - Scattin' to solo piano. Well played, no guesses on tune or player. 

3 - Trumpet led trio? Damn, very nice. From the 50s maybe? Chet Baker? Those snare shots are fun but I'm not guessing Haynes. 

4 -  Growling brass opening, noir-ish intro. Some LeGrand tune perhaps? 

So far two tracks with great piano followed by two with no piano. Hmm....

5 - Ok, latin-style intro. Nice congas. Fluid tenor. Good feel between the players. Congas are the MVP because they're keeping this together, well, along with the piano. Trap player is totally allowing the congas to drive this (unless there's no trap and they're standing there hitting the cymbals & high hat). Bass sound is iffy. 

6 - Getz? Nice track

7 - Help me - is she singing in Spanish? The prior track was Portuguese from a Brazilian singer right? This one sounds almost like the singer is Catalonian at parts. No guesses. Piano leads, but the congas are intense. I dig the bass as well. 

Cool little global excursion with those 3 songs...

8 - Back to a more traditional arrangement. Familiar head but I can't name the tune. Sax meanders into a melancholy territory but comes back a little. The band brings them back. Recorded in the last decade? Rosenwinkel on guitar? Is the trumpet player holding back during their solo? Sounds a little deferential. 

9 - Ok, an older tune. Bass & piano are totally on the right, drums & flute soundly on the left. Ok, so there's a cello as well? Man, no guesses here either. 

10 - Bass & piano duet so far. Great playing but no guesses. Both players are grooving in this one. Bassist starts out in a sprint almost then calms down a bit, I guess in prep for that solo. Which is great btw. 

11 - I dig the intro. Big tone from the sax player. Bassist is nimble. I like the tune but just as above I'm clueless. 

12 - Percussion heavy BFT. I dig it! Going for the mysterious, off kilter intro here. Kind of corny progression though...pop-ish in a way. Kind of spoiled the adventure a little bit. Although this track has percussion as well, it's a texture feature for this tune and doesn't lead/drive which is a bit different. The song would be relatively the same without them. 

13 - First appearance of an organist. Woo hoo! Is that singing as well? Yep, someone is doing something there. Weird tune. Lady Sings the Blues comes in late...no guesses. 

14 - Ok, well, all good until this one. Not my thing here. 

Nice collection. Thanks for putting this together! 

4 hours ago, BillF said:

Track 1: "Grooveyard" by Carl Perkins, but of course not played by Perkins here.

Track 9: A Sam Jones composition, "Says You".

1 is Grooveyard, but, as you said, not played by Perkins.

9 is a Sam Jones tune, but not that one - I can hear the melodic similarities, though.

3 hours ago, BillF said:

Track 5: Ray Bryant composition, "Cubano Chant".

Right!

3 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

3 - Trumpet led trio? Damn, very nice. From the 50s maybe? Chet Baker? Those snare shots are fun but I'm not guessing Haynes. 

Hehe ... not Baker or Haynes

4 -  Growling brass opening, noir-ish intro. Some LeGrand tune perhaps? 

Not a Legrand tune.

6 - Getz? Nice track

not Getz, but a Brazilian singer.

7 - Help me - is she singing in Spanish? The prior track was Portuguese from a Brazilian singer right? This one sounds almost like the singer is Catalonian at parts. No guesses. Piano leads, but the congas are intense. I dig the bass as well. 

Yes it's Spanish she sings.

Cool little global excursion with those 3 songs...

8 - Back to a more traditional arrangement. Familiar head but I can't name the tune. Sax meanders into a melancholy territory but comes back a little. The band brings them back. Recorded in the last decade? Rosenwinkel on guitar? Is the trumpet player holding back during their solo? Sounds a little deferential. 

Not Rosenwinkel. It's from 1995, and the tune was written for the album this comes from, and AFAIK recorded only one more time on a session where the composer also played, like here.

13 - First appearance of an organist. Woo hoo! Is that singing as well? Yep, someone is doing something there. Weird tune. Lady Sings the Blues comes in late...no guesses. 

Now which organist plays "Lady Sings The Blues?

Thanks for the nice comments. So this is a percussion heavy BFT? Well, probably, compared to most. 

Edited by mikeweil

1 – I like this a lot.  Clean, uncomplicated.  First was thinking Grant Green but changed my mind. 

2 – Doesn’t really do anything for me.  Just sounds like piano noodling on a tune, and he can’t sing.  I’m sure he’s a fine pianist, but…

3 -  Well done.  Trumpet reminds me of Thad Jones, though I don’t remember him doing a trio recording.  I like the straight ahead approach of the rhythm section, especially the walking bass.  Not exactly my wheelhouse, but quite enjoyable.  1950’s rhythm section feel, but probably recorded later.  Maybe one of those 70’s Steeplechase sessions?

4 – Very good for what it is, but not at all my thing.  Lester Bowie?

5 – Clifford Jordan?  Good stuff.  Trying to ID the tune/album.  Hope I have this already.  Was thinking that Pentagon album that Jordan/Walton did with Ray Mantilla, but this isn't that.

6 – Well, they listened to Getz/Gilberto, didn’t they?  I like it fine, but no points for originality.

7 – Certainly a better singer than previous cut, and a better tune.  Like this a lot, I could see picking up the CD.  Sign me up, and I look forward to the ID.  Love the pianist!

8 – Right in my wheelhouse.  Tenor player has a beautiful tone.  Strong Freddie Hubbard vibes from the trumpeter.  Yet doesn’t move me the way #7 does.  But still quite good.  Wouldn’t surprise me if I have this one on the shelves somewhere.

9 – Oscar Pettiford?  Too strong of a 50’s vibe to be Ron Carter.  Nice cut, though not something I’d reach for.  Suspect I own it already.

10 – Good cut, really enjoying it.  Excellent pianist and bassist, listening to each other so well.

11 – Hamiet Bluiett with Fred Hopkins?  Knows his way around the baritone, whoever it is.  Reminds me of the Chico Freeman/Cecil McBee duets, but this isn’t Freeman and isn’t a tenor.  Whatever it is, joins #7 as the two I must pick up.

12 – Very dramatic, I like it.  STRONG Gato Barbieri feel but doesn’t sound like the backing he would have used at any point in his career.  But I still think it must be Gato.  Very curious for ID on this one.

13 – Has to be Amina Claudia Myers, doesn’t it?  Part of me really likes this, the other part isn’t sure yet.

14 – Very exciting on surface level.   Have never heard anything quite like it!  Doubt Harold Arlen foresaw this in 1930 😊.    The theology is a mess, of course, but the vibes and the trumpet are great.  Kind of an overwhelming experience.

A lot of really interesting music here, thanks so much!

Edited by felser

2 hours ago, felser said:

12 – Very dramatic, I like it.  STRONG Gato Barbieri feel but doesn’t sound like the backing he would have used at any point in his career.  But I still think it must be Gato.  Very curious for ID on this one.

You're closer than you think!

Track 1: I sure wish I knew who this was! I think I own this but I can't place any of the players. Lovely way to start a BFT!

Track 2: Oscar Peterson from one of his vocal albums? His voice sounds like Nat King Cole and I have his tribute album to Nat, but this isn't one of the tracks. Then again, the playing is a lot more subdued than what I normally hear from OP. I dig this one too!

Track 3: I love it that we go from two tracks where piano was heavily emphasized to a track with no piano at all! I love it! Very melodic. Is this from that Kenny Dorham Riverside album without a piano?

Track 4: Wasn't sure I'd like this at first but now the absence of a rhythm section is making me dig this a lot more than I thought I would. The band as rhythm section! Love it!

Track 5: Sounds like a relatively recent recording of Cubano Chant. No idea who this is but the tenor player sounds inspired by Sonny Rollins. Good stuff!

Track 6: Ahhhh NOW yer talkin'! A flute with a sax player and a rhythm guitar but no piano. And that voice! WOW! Again no idea who this is but I can't wait to find out! I mean, I know it's "Desafinado" but trying to narrow it down would take me longer than just waiting for the answer!

Track 7: West Indies jazz? I dig it!

Track 8: Sounds like something recent. Nobody immediately jumps to mind but I dig the eerie vibe to it!

Track 9: Beautiful! I dug it as soon as it started! Is that a bass guitar or a cello? I thought this might've been from that Wes Montgomery album where he played a bass guitar but it's not from that album. The piano-bass-drums sounds like Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers, and Jimmy Cobb, they are SO in the pocket! Okay, it's definitely a cello. I'll go with Sam Jones then! I can't wait to find out who this is!

Track 10: Nice piano-bass duo! Maybe one of the Bill Evans/Eddie Gomez duos? Whoever it is, these guys swing and they sound like they're having a blast!

Track 11: Bass & bari! We're getting all kinds of lineups here! My knowledge of bari players is limited to Gerry Mulligan, Pepper Adams, and Cecil Payne, and this doesn't sound like any of them. It sure swings tho!

Track 12: This sounds like an outtake from the sessions that produced Joe Jackson's wonderful 2015 LP Fast Forward. Which is just another way to say I have no idea who this is and I can't wait to find out!

Track 13: can't say I found this one very interesting. Started nice but I spent the entirety of the track waiting for the rest of the band to come in.

Track 14: The wildest version of Get Happy I've ever heard, and since my online sleuthing skills are non-existent I shall have to wait for someone else to get it!

Mikeweil, you always put together a fun BFT and this was no exception! Thanks for putting this together, I'll definitely be spinning this again!

1.  Piano, guitar and bass.  Barney Kessel?
2.  First thought was Bob Dorough, but since most of this track is about the piano, not the vocals, I'll go with Mose Allison
3.    Lyrical.  Maybe Kenny Dorham
4.  Great Wah-wah mute work.  Lester Bowie's Brass Fantasy?
5.  Great cutting tenor tone that's almost Booker Ervin, but I don't know of Book recording with this instrumental lineup.  Lockjaw Davis?
6.  Astrud Gilberto.  Which means that must be Stan Getz. Sure sounds like him.
7.  Mining the same vein, which I'm not that familiar with.  Not Flora or Astrud.  Elaine Elias?
8.  The only Herbie Hancock album I remember that might have this instrumentation is The Prisoner.  I don't remember this track as being from that album.  But it might.
9.  Bass might be the leader here.  Buster Williams?
10. Bass might be the leader here.  Ron Carter?
11. Despite the bass intro, I'm liking the baritone as the leader here.  Pepper Adams?
12. When Gato is this laid back, the instrumentation is usually more commercial sounding.
13. Forward looking organ that doesn't sound like Larry Young.  Barbara Dennerlein?
14. Over the top version of Get Happy.  No Idea.

Well I am always terrible about guesses or tune IDs but my overall reaction to Mike's BFT is a thumbs up. 

A few brief mentions:

I would say a record number of tunes went by at the start that kept my attention/interest - as in, first five "worked" for me well enough to quite nice, thank you reactions. 

That mostly ended with number six and really ended on #7 - first to actually stop and jump to next track.

#1, 5 and 9 all very frustrating for being so darn familiar but unable to name.

Last, color me perversely curious about #14 but also have to say I couldn't keep listening to the end.

Thanks Mike, look forward to the reveal!

4 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Well Dan, I know our tastes are different, so five out of fourteen isn't that bad. 😊

I don't think I was clear - I was referencing the first five in a row as a record for other's BFTs.  The streak ended with 6 and especially 7 but I did not object to any of the remaining tunes, until I got to 14.  Sorry I wasn't clear about that. 

Is track 3 Lee Morgan and Billy Higgins and a bass player I should know but can't place at the moment? This one is driving me crazy!

6 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Except for Gato, none of your guesses are correct, sorry. It all may be harder than l thought ...

Ugh!!! That's two I could've guessed correctly if I'd just gone with my gut. I know nothing about Gato except that I normally find him unlistenable mainly because of his seeming inability to hold a note still, which I heard in this track but thought, "nah, this is too subdued, it's probably someone else." UGH!!!!

Edited by Big Al

1 hour ago, randyhersom said:

I'm ruling out Lee.  Trumpet, bass and drums is a really rare configuration through the end of the seventies.  I think this is eighties or later.  Really obscure guess - Scott Tinkler?

Where I'm thinking it's older.  Bass players don't play like that post-Stanley Clarke.  

Track 3 is from the late 1950's. None of the guys guessed, so far.

3 hours ago, Big Al said:

Ugh!!! That's two I could've guessed correctly if I'd just gone with my gut. I know nothing about Gato except that I normally find him unlistenable mainly because of his seeming inability to hold a note still, which I heard in this track but thought, "nah, this is too subdued, it's probably someone else." UGH!!!!

I'm not a fan of Gato on his own records but like him immensely here.

8 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Ok, haven't yet had time to seriously listen to the entire thing yet, but all the chatter about #3 made me curious enough to cheat. I was already curious anyway.

All I can say is WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Yeah I would never ever peg that production sound to the late 50s. Sound is so much more recent. To me at least.