Amazing Bud Powell - Japanese CD with 16 or so Tracks

Teasing the Korean

Or cut-n-past the Japanese title and past the Japanese into the Google search bar — and add ‘Discogs’ to the search key too.

Google is actually really good about searching for titles and names in foreign languages (even Japanese, and Chinese, etc).

Then you might need to switch the results to an image search, and that might make it easier to match.

7 minutes ago, mjzee said:

It may have been. The text on the front cover was definitely red/maroon.  Something led me to believe that it had music from both volumes, but I may be wrong about that.

I only know from the original LPs back then. 

Usually "Amazing Bud Powell" was Vol I with the Fats Navarro Sonny Rollins stuff, and I think the 1951 trio stuff, and Vol II I think was the 1953 stuff with Glass Enclosure .

But there were 3 others: The Vol. III with Curtis Fuller, and I think the 4th and 5th was not subtitled "Amazing B.P." , it was "Time Waits" with Philly J.J., and the quite strange "Scene Changes". That´s all I remember. 

On 2/5/2023 at 5:05 PM, AllenLowe said:

one important thing to note - the 2 volumes of the Amazing Bud Powell were reissued AGAIN, some years back,  with significantly better sound. Those are the ones you should own. The difference is dramatic -

(same thing, BTW, with the Monk Bluenotes)

Thanks for this.  When did the upgrade occur?  Between the original CDs and the RVG editions?

3 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Those can be found in this RVG -

518DmYXygvL.jpg

Yes, the tunes with Monk I think "Epistrophy" "I Mean You", Evidence", and two vocals with Kenny Hagood "All the Things You Are" and a strange "I Should Care" not in the usual key Ab but in D, really strange to listen to it. 
I remember the sound quality is not good at all, which is strange for BN recording. Interesting that it has Shadow Wilson on drums, who later became a member of Monk´s quartet. 
In my case I had already known those tracks , since they were on the two LP set of Monk on those strange BN LA-Series with those ugly covers like a paper bag colour. 

I bought the Milt Jackson CD later, maybe in the earlier days of CDs, it was not RVG, nor Conn, it was just a CD with a photo of Bags . And the second half of the album was practically Lou Donaldson with the MJQ, very nice too.

9 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Thanks for this.  When did the upgrade occur?  Between the original CDs and the RVG editions?

The 2001 RVG editions had the improved sound ie Vol. 1 had all the transfers created from the original lacquer discs (to digital in 24bit resolution)

https://www.discogs.com/release/4605240-Bud-Powell-The-Amazing-Bud-Powell-Volume-One

21 minutes ago, romualdo said:

The 2001 RVG editions had the improved sound ie Vol. 1 had all the transfers created from the original lacquer discs (to digital in 24bit resolution)

https://www.discogs.com/release/4605240-Bud-Powell-The-Amazing-Bud-Powell-Volume-One

Oh I see, I think it has another order of the songs than the original LP.

But I must admit I never bought again  music I already knew. The tunes on that album were standard repertory in groups I worked with. 
I understand others re-buy music, first on regular LP, then on CD, then on another edition of the CD, and then on those modern post CD vinyls, just to hear another recording quality and recorded sound. 
I´m happy if I know the tunes, and sorry to say, after decades of active playing  my hearing volume is not the best one. You loose it on high frequences, anyway have to turn up the treble to hear the cymbals of the drums and hear it loud, that´s a fact. 

10 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Those can be found in this RVG -

Thanks, I have this, but I don't like the fact that those four tunes were left off the Monk Genius CDs. They were part of those albums for anyone who first experienced them that way, which would probably include you, me, and most of us on this message board. 

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Thanks, I have this, but I don't like the fact that those four tunes were left off the Monk Genius CDs. They were part of those albums for anyone who first experienced them that way, which would probably include you, me, and most of us on this message board. 

I first experienced them on vinyl in the '60s, then in the Mosaic lp box, then the first cds, the complete BN box, the RVGs and this -

41PlQ2mosVL.jpg

4 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I first experienced them on vinyl in the '60s, then in the Mosaic lp box, then the first cds, the complete BN box, the RVGs and this -

Right, but weren't the Milt Jackson tracks included on your LP copies?  They were on mine.  Not sure if the track listing varied on the LPs through the decades.

It's worth looking up the release of these as 78s, then 10" then 12" . . . they were sequenced different ways. My history with this fantastic material is like Chuck's though in my case the LPs were in the late 'seventies and I have the Japanese RVGs and the Japanese SHM-CDs as well--and really like to listen to that "Singles" set. Such important music.