Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Live at Jazz Workshop 1970

barnaba.siegel

Not much info, only this below. Good to know it's official, Andy Bey and Isao Suzuki sure sounds interesting. Too bad it's only on LP, maybe we will see CD after the RSD '23 craze.

"Previously unreleased, historically important, a gift from the jazz gods. Available for the first time, as an official release in partnership with the Art Blakey estate, this is the only known recording with this Jazz Messengers line-up. This RSD 2023 release comes with a QR code which accesses almost five hours of content - essential for the true Art Blakey enthusiast."

418467231924%3A800.jpg

Edited by barnaba.siegel

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the personnel I only know Junior Cook, who I am sure was a very fine choice. He "cooked". 

But 1970 must have been a very rough period for Art Blakey. It seems he didn´t have a recording contract and booking of acoustic bands was scarce. 
This might have been also the reason why he accepted to do world tours with the "Giants of Jazz". 
The real comeback of Art Blakey started from the late 70´s on, that band with Valery Ponomarev, Dave Schnitter, Bobby Watson, Dennis Irving and James Williams brought him back to top booking.....

I have heard that the "Jazz Workshop" in San Francisco was quite a loud place, but good music was recorded there in the 60´s (Roach "Speak Brother Speak" and Mingus "Right Now-Live at the JazzWorkshop" ....by the way some of my favourite live recordings of both of them). 

You'll have to decide that for yourself...here's a blurb about him: Sweet Sister Funk | Light In The Attic Records

This gem of an album from Ramon Morris, and one of the hardest to find on Groove Merchant, was recorded during what many people would consider to be the classic period for this particular brand of jazz/funk/soul/fusion. It was recorded not long after he’d spent time with Art Blakey as a Jazz Messenger appearing on his 1972 Prestige album Child’s Dance along with Stanley Clarke and Woody Shaw. He then also recorded on the Woody Shaw album, also from 1972, Song Of Songs.He now teaches at Carnegie-Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pa.

so now I guess the question is - what is the repertoire on this gig?

Those three early-70s Blakey albums on Prestige are sort of under-discovered these days. Not saying they're "lost classics" or anything, but they are not at all full-on retro like he would sometimes do later on.

I remember Boyd's contributions as being solid and soulful, if not necessarily spectacular. Hearing him on a live date paired upwith Junior Cook is....intriguing.

Gearbox are very well regarded and well established in the UK and I suspect worldwide by now. 

Safe to say Gearbox is a byword for quality production.

There's lots of non-US artists in the catalogue too, not least a heap of important Tubby Hayes recordings.

They have cleverly diversified to include both historical recordings and releases by some of the stars of the burgeoning London scene of the last ten years.

Edited by mjazzg

15 minutes ago, Brad said:

How is the sound on the Gearbox releases?

Excellent. I got the both the Abdullah Ibrahim and Cookers on vinyl and they sound great. The Tolliver cd also sounds very good. Quality stuff for mostly pretty reasonable prices.

1 minute ago, Brad said:

Thanks. Looking at the Cookers one. 

It's great Brad. Ive got all of their records but I think their last one is my favorite :) These guys still rock!

Just look at them!

Edited by Pim

1 hour ago, felser said:

They're the company that released the new Charles Tolliver CD a little while back, and also the most recent Cookers CD (David Weiss's group with Billy Harper and other giants).  Anyone heard the Dwight Trible CD the company put out?

If you're referring to 'Mothership', it's very good John. If you're already a fan, I am, you won't be disappointed I don't think.  And for anyone looking for an intro to DT I'd say it works on that level too.

Looks like they're releasing another by him in March which somewhat confusingly is already sold out...

https://store.gearboxrecords.com/products/dwight-trible-ancient-future-cd?_pos=7&_sid=c4128ac00&_ss=r

1 hour ago, Brad said:

How is the sound on the Gearbox releases?

High quality SQ was one of their founding principles, they've stuck to it

2 hours ago, mjazzg said:

If you're referring to 'Mothership', it's very good John. If you're already a fan, I am, you won't be disappointed I don't think.  And for anyone looking for an intro to DT I'd say it works on that level too.

Looks like they're releasing another by him in March which somewhat confusingly is already sold out...

https://store.gearboxrecords.com/products/dwight-trible-ancient-future-cd?_pos=7&_sid=c4128ac00&_ss=r

Thanks Mark, yes, big fan of Trible!

16 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

I thought as much, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy it then. Do you know the one he did on another UK label Gondwana?

https://dwighttrible.bandcamp.com/album/inspirations

also very good. Mind you he could probably sing me my shopping list and I'd like it!

I'll look into that one, too!