Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Live at Jazz Workshop 1970

barnaba.siegel

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/18/2023 at 10:10 AM, JSngry said:

Still, that QR code thing, what is going to come with that?

5 hours of content of what?

The implication is that it's Blakey, but it could be cleverly worded so as to be any damn thing, from 5 more hours of Blakey to a 5 hour sampling of other items from the label to Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (Director's Cut), I mean, details please!!!!!!

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

5 hours of content of what?

The implication is that it's Blakey, but it could be cleverly worded so as to be any damn thing, from 5 more hours of Blakey to a 5 hour sampling of other items from the label to Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (Director's Cut), I mean, details please!!!!!!

1000% this... and in addition... one website I found said it was 3 hours...

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, BFrank said:

I had no idea that Andy Bey ever played/sang with Blakey. Did he do both?

Will have to look for that Cookers album. I have them all. David Weiss is occasionally here on Organissimo , too.

From what I see on Discogs it looks like he does both. I can’t imagine a JM record with vocals. 

I picked up a copy of the Gearbox LP today at my ‘local’ and the first track, ‘Autumn In New York’, leads off with an Andy Bey vocal. Audio quality sounds fine to me and the club atmosphere is well captured. Apparently the QR download code gives more than 3 hours additional music.

10 minutes ago, JSngry said:

3 hours of what music? 

Just says ‘over 3 hours of exclusive additional material’. Not downloaded yet so no idea what’s there. Update - inner sleeve confirms this is 2 days worth of the Messengers performance at Jazz Workshop, the full performance.

The sound is not bad at all - a bit distorted at times but not offputting, the audience presence really adds to the atmosphere. Gearbox have done a really great job with the mastering, all things considered. A highly unusual and unique Blakey release.

Edited by sidewinder

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Just says ‘over 3 hours of exclusive additional material’. Not downloaded yet so no idea what’s there. Update - inner sleeve confirms this is 2 days worth of the Messengers performance at Jazz Workshop, the full performance.

The sound is not bad at all - a bit distorted at times but not offputting, the audience presence really adds to the atmosphere. Gearbox have done a really great job with the mastering, all things considered. A highly unusual and unique Blakey release.

Please report if the download is lossless or MP3.

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

whoa... 

9 hours ago, Brad said:

I’ve been looking online and this one seems sold out everywhere. A hard one to find.  

Hard to imagine there aren't more copies in the hands of sellers but maybe that is the state of its availability.

OTOH I have a hard time believing that all that digital material available to purchasers won't make it into "circulation" if you catch my meaning.

43 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Hard to imagine there aren't more copies in the hands of sellers but maybe that is the state of its availability.

OTOH I have a hard time believing that all that digital material available to purchasers won't make it into "circulation" if you catch my meaning.

There are a few, but not many, copies on eBay at varying prices. 1800 were made. 

I've read reviews on Discogs, some people writing about really raw sound, so I guess it's a "no" for me. And I guess Gearbox had chosen the best stuff for LP, so the downloadable content could be even "more raw".

According to this site (https://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/album/art-blakey/live-at-jazz-workshop-1970(live)), the tracks and credits are as following:

Tracklist

Side-A
1. Autumn in New York
2. Falling in Love with Love
3. Just in Time
Side-B
1. Round About Midnight
2. East of the Sun (and West Of The Moon)

Digital edition track list:
1. On Green Dolphin Street
2. The Theme v.1
3. Wee Dot v.1
4. Round About Midnight
5. The Theme v.2
6. Con Alma
7. Daahoud
8. Somewhere Over The Rainbow
9. A Night In Tunisia
10. It's Only A Paper Moon
11. Autumn In New York
12. Falling In Love With Love
13. Just In Time
14. The Theme v.3
15. Wee Dot v.2
16. East Of The Sun (and West Of The Moon)

Line-up/Musicians

Art Blakey; drums
Andy Bey; piano, vocals
Ramon Morris; tenor saxophone
Isao Suzuki; double bass
Junior Cook; soprano saxophone (track B2)