Marion Brown Live In Bremen 1969

Harbour

Doesnt sound atrocious to my ears, and excellent music.  HatHut sometimes drops cuts to fit two albums onto one CD, so beware.  And this is a 2CD set, so the Hat Hut will be missing a lot of the music.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, felser said:

Doesnt sound atrocious to my ears, and excellent music.  HatHut sometimes drops cuts to fit two albums onto one CD, so beware.  And this is a 2CD set, so the Hat Hut will be missing a lot of the music.

listening now. If it's a needle drop then it isn't obvious to me. I haven't heard the original LPs but these transfers sound more than good enough

I find the Mooscius 2xCD to be fine enough, I certainly didn't notice anything when I listened to it.

Like all of these Revisited endeavors, this pairing makes little sense and is redundant, especially given the very handsome 1990s Impulse! CD edition of Three For Shepp which was of course remastered from the original master tapes.

1 hour ago, felser said:

I just checked, and the ezz-thetics (née Hat) ...Revisited seems to have all the tracks from the 2 albums, 6 from Three for Shepp and 5 from Gesprächsfetzen, which is better than usual for them. But since I have an Impulse! Three for Shepp I'll risk the sound quality of the Moosicus and get a full extra album.

30 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Kinda weird they're calling it Three For Shepp to Gesprächsfetzen Revisited and not including all four records from that bookended period.

Good point.

I find the ezz-thetics reissue program weird in several respects.

To be honest, I never thought of "to" in the inclusive sense, given that many of the packages prune tracks from the component albums. 🤔

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, T.D. said:

I just checked, and the ezz-thetics (née Hat) ...Revisited seems to have all the tracks from the 2 albums, 6 from Three for Shepp and 5 from Gesprächsfetzen, which is better than usual for them. But since I have an Impulse! Three for Shepp I'll risk the sound quality of the Moosicus and get a full extra album.

The Moosicus 2CD set has a bonus album which is quite good:

Gesprächsfetzen:  
1   Gesprächsfetzen 14:59
2   Exhibit A 2:54
3   Babudah 7:25
4   Tomorrow Is The Beginning Of The End Of Yesterday 3:23
5   Aba 6:30
    Marion Brown In Sommerhausen:  
6   Dance No. 1 11:03
7   Exhibit B 3:32
8   The Sound Of A Song 7:56
9   Malipieros Midnight Theatre 8:29
10   Il Ne Chant Pas 6:15
11   Dance No. 2 8:12

15 hours ago, Harbour said:

That’s one review on Amazon. You started your post with: from all the reviews which indicated there are a lot of negative reviews. 

2 hours ago, Pim said:

That’s one review on Amazon. You started your post with: from all the reviews which indicated there are a lot of negative reviews. 

No i never inferred there were a lot (not like there are a lot of reviews for this release full stop) , i could have sworn i saw another negative one somewhere else too, anyway he was pretty slating hence my post, i'm happy to be proved wrong about the quality anyway, that's all i was enquiring about.

19 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

In Sommerhausen is an incredible album.

The story behind

Sommerhausen is a winegrowing village near Würzburg. 'Marion Brown In Sommerhausen' was recorded at the Torturmtheater [Gate Tower Theater] there. See back cover of the original issue:

Sommerhausen back (Copy).jpg

The note on the back cover is incorrect:”Life recorded at Bayerische Staatskonservatorium der Musik Würzburg May 17 th 1969.” Correct is:”Life recorded b y ...” - not 'at'!

Painter of the back cover is Luigi Malipiero, theater and artistic director, actor, set designer, book illustrator and painter at that time in Sommerhausen. He was a close friend of Berthold Hummel, later Professor and President of the University of Music in Würzburg.

Marion Brown and Gunter Hampel met Berthold Hummel in Paris 1968! As a scholar at the “Cité Internationale des Arts”, Bertold Hummel lived and worked in Paris from July 1st to December 31st, 1968. Brown, Hampel and Hummel premiered the joint “Conversation” at the “Cité” on December 3, 1968.

marion_brown_hummel (Copy).jpg

Marion Brown and Berthold Hummel in Paris 1968

The performance of the "Marion Brown Ensemble from Paris" was announced in Würzburg as the 53rd studio concert on May 17, 1969 under the title "Jazz Concert - Free/Natural Jazz".

I suspect that Luigi Malipiero and his theater in Sommerhausen were ready for the performance because the 52nd studio concert in Würzburg was so poorly attended.

The 'Torturmtheater' in Sommerhausen still exists. Years ago I walked through the gate ...

Edited by optatio

On 9/19/2023 at 5:00 PM, colinmce said:

Moosicus will be releasing Marion's excellent Calig LPs on CD next month:

tufj3pv5.j31

So the consensus here is that this is NOT a horribly botched job and that is CAN be bought with confidence?

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

So the consensus here is that this is NOT a horribly botched job and that is CAN be bought with confidence?

In this thread, four regular Organissimo posters said that the sound is OK and zero (who have heard it) criticized the sound.

I consider that a "buy with confidence", but am not expecting "audiophile" sound quality (which would be rare for a reissue of this nature).

Edited by T.D.

I don't require audiophile sound. Just being able to hear all the notes is adequate, sometimes more than adequate.

If it's Bird, I'll settle for almost anything. 

So I am buying without dread, which is almost buying with confidence! 🤠

Bremen streams on Spotify and the sound is fine. I haven't noticed any vinyl rip artifacts or muffled whatever. That Amazon review is bizarre and seems to be way off the mark assuming the CD would be the same as the streaming album. 

On 5/12/2024 at 6:46 PM, JSngry said:

I don't require audiophile sound. Just being able to hear all the notes is adequate, sometimes more than adequate.

If it's Bird, I'll settle for almost anything. 

So I am buying without dread, which is almost buying with confidence! 🤠

I just ordered it.

On 5/12/2024 at 2:40 PM, optatio said:

The story behind

Sommerhausen is a winegrowing village near Würzburg. 'Marion Brown In Sommerhausen' was recorded at the Torturmtheater [Gate Tower Theater] there. See back cover of the original issue:

Sommerhausen back (Copy).jpg

The note on the back cover is incorrect:”Life recorded at Bayerische Staatskonservatorium der Musik Würzburg May 17 th 1969.” Correct is:”Life recorded b y ...” - not 'at'!

Painter of the back cover is Luigi Malipiero, theater and artistic director, actor, set designer, book illustrator and painter at that time in Sommerhausen. He was a close friend of Berthold Hummel, later Professor and President of the University of Music in Würzburg.

Marion Brown and Gunter Hampel met Berthold Hummel in Paris 1968! As a scholar at the “Cité Internationale des Arts”, Bertold Hummel lived and worked in Paris from July 1st to December 31st, 1968. Brown, Hampel and Hummel premiered the joint “Conversation” at the “Cité” on December 3, 1968.

marion_brown_hummel (Copy).jpg

Marion Brown and Berthold Hummel in Paris 1968

The performance of the "Marion Brown Ensemble from Paris" was announced in Würzburg as the 53rd studio concert on May 17, 1969 under the title "Jazz Concert - Free/Natural Jazz".

I suspect that Luigi Malipiero and his theater in Sommerhausen were ready for the performance because the 52nd studio concert in Würzburg was so poorly attended.

The 'Torturmtheater' in Sommerhausen still exists. Years ago I walked through the gate ...

I am confused. So you are saying that the album was recorded by Werner Berndsen of the Würzburg Music School but actually took place at the Torturmtheater?

39 minutes ago, AndreyHenkin said:

I am confused. So you are saying that the album was recorded by Werner Berndsen of the Würzburg Music School but actually took place at the Torturmtheater?

Yes, see also track 1 on Side II on LP and track 09 on CD: " Malipiero's midnight theatre", dedicated to Luigi Malipiero, director of the theatre!

23 hours ago, Dub Modal said:

Bremen streams on Spotify and the sound is fine. I haven't noticed any vinyl rip artifacts or muffled whatever. That Amazon review is bizarre and seems to be way off the mark assuming the CD would be the same as the streaming album. 

The Bremen one is fine, that review refers to the Gesprächsfetzen & in Sommerhausen release