Blue Note to introduce copy-protected discs

A few days ago I sent an e-mail to Blue Note asking about the odd situation where I have to buy Blue Note releases from the US if I want a CD instead of the copy-protected format they now are released on in Europe. Yesterday I got a reply that they were aware of this discrepancy, but that it only was temporary, and that EMI releases soon will be copy-protected in the US too! It will however not feature the Cactus Data Shield technology that is used by EMI in Europe, but a different one. After buying a new disc, the owner will have to download an individual code, which will lock the disc to the specific owner and his hardware configuration. This is among other things intended to prevent sales of used discs, something that cuts deeply into the pockets of record companies, since every sale of a used disc is a missed sale of a new disc in their eyes. A burned copy will also be useless with this technology of course.

The e-mail then goes on to say that this technology will be introduced on EMI discs this summer, so I suppose that the June or July RVG batch will contain the first Blue Notes to feature it. The e-mail also mentions that licensed EMI recordings, like Mosaic sets, will be required to feature this technology as well. No info yet on how it affects the sound on regular CD players, or about the playability on car stereos and other devices.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After buying a new disc, the owner will have to download an individual code, which will lock the disc to the specific owner and his hardware configuration. This is among other things intended to prevent sales of used discs, something that cuts deeply into the pockets of record companies, since every sale of a used disc is a missed sale of a new disc in their eyes. A burned copy will also be useless with this technology of course.

That's a bit too strong to be true, so I guess Swinging Swede is fooling us :)

If true, this is just so nuts ... I would think that a significant part of the audience for BN discs is going to respond just like AfricaBrass ... I know I won't buy any of the copy-protected discs.

Seems like a recipe for disaster ... I'm going to have to start stocking up now.

Edited by Chrome

After buying a new disc, the owner will have to download an individual code, which will lock the disc to the specific owner and his hardware configuration. This is among other things intended to prevent sales of used discs, something that cuts deeply into the pockets of record companies, since every sale of a used disc is a missed sale of a new disc in their eyes. A burned copy will also be useless with this technology of course.

That's a bit too strong to be true, so I guess Swinging Swede is fooling us :)

Man, I hope so!

But nothing surprises me with BN. They seem to be on a mission to alienate their biggest fans.

If true, this may be the one thing Blue Note has done to increase the market value of my existing collection! (I'm still marveling at the effect reissues have had on items like "No Room for Squares")

Further thought: I suppose the the other thing they do to raise recording values is regularly put things out of print.

How many more in the Conns series do they plan? Outside of the next batch which will be Horace Silver's "United States of Mind", what would they still want to put out in this series? Most of the stuff is being done in the RVG series, and at least for myself, I already own most of Blue Note session on CD's from earlier releases. Ebay will be the way to go. Buy those used CD's.

Will they also copy protect Mosaics? God, I hope not!

Suggestion to the guys with Organissimo:

On April 2 delete all threads started on April 1..... :wacko:

I know it's probably a joke

but....

BN has already imposed copy protection in Europe, so it's not like some far fetched thing if they did it here.

The way they handled the BNBB situation showed their lack of respect for their fans, so I'm not surprised by anything to do.

I've heard from someone with good contacts to EMI Europe that they plan to abandon the Cactus Datashield copyprotection scheme, because it has way too many compatibility problems (the new Norah CD was unplayable on my DVD player).

He didn't tell me if they were to replace it with a better protection scheme or abandon copyprotection alltogether.

the problem with the German EMI ones is that they also find their way to foreign countries.... even in the Philippines they sold them, so I would really wonder how long the US will stay unprotected....

Although its 1st April thats quite close to reality.... B)

Cheers, Tjobbe

BTW Suede, BN does never respond to any email complaining about Copy Protection.... :g

OK, it ain’t so! At least not to my knowledge… :)

But who knows what EMI is planning right now? :ph34r: I’ve read that the only reason that EMI (and other record companies) so far have refrained from introducing copy protection in the US is that they are afraid of being sued by consumer groups. I’m sure they would like to do something there too. After all, what good is copy protection in parts of the world, if the real deal can be ordered from elsewhere? In these Internet times buying something from another continent only requires a few mouse clicks. The filesharing networks are global too, so if people in one country can rip from real CDs, the files will soon be available anywhere anyway.