Sorry for the downtime...

Jim Alfredson

Hi friends,

I was getting inundated with emails from my server about slow downs and processes taking too long. I asked the server company what was going on and it took them awhile to give me a solution. That should've been my warning sign there; I had emails from no less than five different people over the course of a couple days, all with differing opinions. Finally they claimed I needed to upgrade the server from 4GB of RAM to 8GB. They said the database for this forum had grown so large as to need the extra RAM. I asked how long that would take and they said a few hours and we scheduled Wednesday at 3:30am to do it.

Well, something went wrong and the process failed. I'm not sure how installing physical RAM fails... or maybe it isn't physical anymore... maybe it's virtual. I have no idea. Anyway, I kept waiting for them to say the process was done and then tonight I get an email that it had failed yet again. Then I get an email from a completely different person (this was probably the 12th person involved in my support email chain) who said she had no record of me even ordering a RAM upgrade. LOL! 

This is the email I got: 

I hope this message finds you well. I wanted to bring to your attention that we again received a notification indicating that the VPS resize for the server host2.organissimo.org has failed. 

After reviewing your recent tickets, I couldn't locate any related ticket concerning the VPS resize. Therefore, I kindly request you to confirm whether this VPS resize is associated with an existing ticket.

Are you fucking kidding me?

So I wrote back the following: 

At this point I just want my server back online. It's been offline for almost two days, which means no emails, none of my websites that I use for business are available, etc. Frankly, it's worrisome that you can't even find a ticket requesting the resize. Then again, I've had probably a dozen different people respond to my initial ticket, which was concerning error emails I was getting from my server every 5 minutes. 

Can we get the server back online please?

I think I may need to move hosting companies. I've been with Liquid Web for a long time. They used to be great. That was when they were owned by the son of a good friend of mine. Local company, local people. Well, the son sold the company a few years ago and the support has really gone downhill in that time. 

Anyway, I apologize for the downtime and I need to figure out the next best course of action.

4 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

Hi friends,

I was getting inundated with emails from my server about slow downs and processes taking too long. I asked the server company what was going on and it took them awhile to give me a solution. That should've been my warning sign there; I had emails from no less than five different people over the course of a couple days, all with differing opinions. Finally they claimed I needed to upgrade the server from 4GB of RAM to 8GB. They said the database for this forum had grown so large as to need the extra RAM. I asked how long that would take and they said a few hours and we scheduled Wednesday at 3:30am to do it.

Well, something went wrong and the process failed. I'm not sure how installing physical RAM fails... or maybe it isn't physical anymore... maybe it's virtual. I have no idea. Anyway, I kept waiting for them to say the process was done and then tonight I get an email that it had failed yet again. Then I get an email from a completely different person (this was probably the 12th person involved in my support email chain) who said she had no record of me even ordering a RAM upgrade. LOL! 

Cant believe we are "running" again. Many thanks,

BTW do we have that RAM upgrade now installed or will it be done in the near future?

.... and do the donations arrive?

Edited by jazzcorner

1 hour ago, Jim Alfredson said:

No, we do not. And I haven't been getting any emails about slow downs. So maybe the server just needed a reboot. Not sure. I'll keep an eye on it.

Well I for my part have no complaints about slow loading. Probably the reboot has a positive effect.

Thanks for the work and worry.
Might I suggest “Simple Machines”?
It’s easy and looks good.

https://www.simplemachines.org

Here’s a sample forum:

https://scd.community/index.php

Their forum for questions, templates, etc…

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php

Edited by rostasi