jazzbo

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/17/2024 at 6:09 PM, mjzee said:

Session B8 (11/20/44) has a Harold McFadden on guitar and electric guitar.  Any relation to Eddie?

Don’t know, but I like Loren’s description of McFadden on “Rose Room” as “clearly in his element, chonking out Charlie Christian riffs-a-plenty.” 

What a treasure trove this is for us Byas fans. I don’t know how much, if any, of the Timmie Rosenkrantz apartment sessions have ever been issued before, but they’re all new to me. The Frank Newton session with Hank D’Amico’s group as well.  And I’m not even into the miscellaneous-labels part of the set yet.  Much appreciation to our friends in Stamford for putting it out.

Agreed! I just finally finished listening to Disc 10, and I really enjoyed the small labels part. I was listening to an earlier disc a couple of days ago when suddenly I heard Charlie Parker. That brought me up and reminded me to look more closely at the booklet!!

I received an email from Mosaic this morning that the Don Byas is back in stock. And it is still at the pre-order sale price!

I ordered a copy a few minutes ago and am looking forward to hearing it. I was not familiar with Don Byas but the great reviews on here (which led me to research and sample his music) convinced me.

Thanks!

Edited by pglbook

I'd been having a bit of back and forth with Scott, as I wanted to bundle the Byas and Clark sets to save (slightly) on postage up to Canada.  It's been a while since I ordered with Mosaic (probably the Savory Collection was the last one).  Anyway, I pulled the trigger this morning. 😊  If I get dinged with a huge customs charge 🤕, this might be the last time.  We'll see... 🤞

On 10/30/2023 at 2:54 PM, jazzbo said:

The following Don Byas sessions of 1944-46 are not included in this set as they are under ownership of various parent labels:
Albert Ammons and his Rhythm Kings (Commodore – February 12, 1944)
Coleman Hawkins and his Orchestra (Apollo – February 16 and 22, 1944)
Eddie Heywood and his Orchestra (Signature – May 2, 1944)
Coleman Hawkins and his Sax Ensemble (Keynote – May 24, 1944)
Mary Lou Williams and her Orchestra (Asch – June 5, 1944)
“Hot Lips” Page and his Orchestra (Commodore – September 29, 1944)
Trummy Young and his Orchestra (Signature – December 4, 1944)
Cozy Cole’s Orchestra (Keynote – February 2, 1945)
Esquire All American 1946 Award Winners (RCA Victor–January 10 & 11, 1946)
Dizzy Gillespie and his Orchestra (RCA Victor – February 22, 1946)
Teddy Wilson Octet (Musicraft – August 19, 1946)
Tyree Glenn and his Orchestra/Don Byas and his Orchestra/Peanuts Holland and his Orchestra (Swing – December 4, 1946)

A bit interested in breaking this down.  

Asch should be under Smithsonian Folkways - that shouldn't have been hard to license.

Commodore, Keynote, Signature - I thought these are all Universal Music Group now, as are Blue Note & Verve, whom Mosaic obviously works with regularly.

RCA Victor should be Sony/BMG

I don't know who controls Musicraft, Swing, and Apollo these days, although most fo the time, the answer seems to be Universal Music Group.  🙂

In other words, I would have thought that they could have included some of those sessions as they are under parent labels with whom they have worked before.  Maybe there are other issues, like some labels not wanting to be in a set with other particular labels, or a concern regarding the total number of discs and the cost.  All speculation.

Listening right now to disc 8, which begins with the January 1945 session with Dizzy. What a godsend this set is, even without the material alluded to above…. I might try to pull as many of those sides as I can from other CD/LP sources that I have and create a supplemental to the Mosaic set.

Edited by ghost of miles

On 2/11/2024 at 3:20 PM, Adam said:

In other words, I would have thought that they could have included some of those sessions as they are under parent labels with whom they have worked before.  Maybe there are other issues, like some labels not wanting to be in a set with other particular labels, or a concern regarding the total number of discs and the cost.  All speculation.

yeah, I think the trifecta of their expense, consumers' expense, and licensing complexities probably kept certain sessions out. More to find and listen to for me!

On 2/14/2024 at 1:47 AM, ghost of miles said:

Listening right now to disc 8, which begins with the January 1945 session with Dizzy. What a godsend this set is, even without the material alluded to above…. 

Great disk! So many highlights in this set!